Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #1

Roof Rack Help Needed

Hi Guys,

Just picked up a 2007 Jayco 1206, and I'm trying to figure out the best option for a roof rack system. The rack would be mainly used for bikes and possibly a basket or cargo carrier.

The previous owner had two brackets installed on the roof when he bought the camper but I'm not sure what type of rack would fit on these (see photo), any others have this option?

I've also been considering a sportrack (see link) but I'm always a little worried about screwing into my roof. I've also attached a photo of the roof. http://www.hitchcity.com/BikeCargo-A21020.html

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J.J.
Attached Thumbnails
photo2.jpg   photo.jpg  
Hammer_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #2

congratulations on the 1206. if you go to orsracksdirect.com that might give you some ideas. on our 1007 we already have the tracks on the roof so just need the feet and then accessories for the rack like bike or kayak holders. they have several pictures of a 1007 with the rack on the pop up so you can see how it works. good luck and hope that helps.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

On my previous pop-up, I built my own after seeing design on popup forum website.
Cross members and rails. Rubber chair leg protectors between cross members and roof 4 points.

The cross members were attached to lip of roof with aircraft SS cable and linkage to tighten securely.

No drilling, worked during my 7 years of ownership. I could hold 4 Bikes.

Google "Bike Roof Racks for Pop Up Camper" you'll see several designs and probably what's missing from yours.

Here's a cheap home made option
http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...up-camper.html

If you search for bike racks on either of these forums you will get tons of info.

www.popupexplorer.com
www.popupportal.com

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #4

Rackwarehouse . com and search thule roof rails, they make them about 60 inches in length, you can mount them right to the top of the roof using the included silicone sealant and screws. Select the Thule TK1 Tracker kit, the feet and bars, and whatever accessory you want, whether it be a cargo box, kayak racks, bike racks, skis etc.

I used to own a Viking popup and mounted these exact rails/racks and carried 3 kayaks on the roof, or 5 bikes on the roof, or a combination of both, it worked really well and I never developed leaks or problems. Best thing, my kayaks sat below the level of my tow vehicle roof (suburban at the time)

Here is a link http://www.rackwarehouse.com/thule-t...il-tracks.html

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #5

Thanks for all your help everyone. I actually couldn't find a good solution. I'm never comfortable drilling holes in my roof, and in the big picture I didn't want to get a rack setup for the camper and a separate one for the truck to go biking on days we're not camping. So I ended up making a rack that fits on the the tonneau cover of the truck. It's made from PVC pipe and EMT inside for strength, turned out pretty good, have taken it out on a few test runs up to 60mph + and absolutely no issues. Whole thing cost me $70 for the tonneau rack and $150 for the bike racks. I'm going to finish it with some black bed liner paint and it should blend right in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	9161

Cheers!