Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #1

Rooftop ac

Hello I have a 1994 Jayco 1206 without ac. Did they come from the factory with ac as an option. Also if so how much weight will the roof handle?
PullinaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:42 AM   #2

This 1206 model from GOOGLE SEARCH has what looks like a 13,500BTU Air Conditioner installed on its roof...

When I got my Starcraft 14RT trailer I had my AC installed by the dealer which they did in a few hours. They also included support bars across the interior ceiling to help support the extra weight on the roof like shown in this GOOGLE PHOTO.

The 120VAC Wiring on my roof mounted A/C is run in wiremode cable protector across the ceiling side and then down to the end of the ceiling where the tent bed end is installed and comes down inside a sewed in path of the window fabric. The 120VAC is then plugged into a 120VAC 20AMP receptacle mounted inside my wrap around seating storage cabinet. You will have to plug this in everytime you setup to power up your roof mounted A/C unit.

NOTE: this GOOGLE PHOTO shows a different way of plugging in the roof mounted air conditioner than how mine is installed. Most all of my wire is non-visible and behind the VALANCE curtain strip that goes around my whole interior roof area.

My roof raise is 12VDC Electric Motor controlled and operates just fine going up and down with the added weight. Have not had any problems with the up/down raise of the roof since purchased in 2008.

Unless you are really handy I would let the a dealer shop install the roof mounted air conditioner in the roof. It will require a 14x14-inch hole cutout in the roof. Some trailers may have the roof prepped for A/C Install already. They had to cut my 14X14-inch hole when mine was installed.

My 13,500 BTU Air Conditioner controls are all mounted on the bottom section of AC unit.

While the dealer is doing this install you might as well have them cut another 14x14-inch hole on the POPUP roof to install a roof mounted FAN-TASTIC VENT FAN if you don't already have one. Mine came with one already mounted and this really works well pulling in fresh air from a couple of cracked open window flaps. We couldn't do without our fan-tastic fan unit.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Nice popup!!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #4

My 1994 1006 has this same A/C unit. There are no extra braces but the roof seems to have no problem supporting it.
rockerarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #5

I had the dealer add the A/C to my 2013 Jayco 1206. It adds about 100lbs of weight but the roof has a 300lbs weight limit so I am fine there. Not sure if the weight limit is the same for your 1206 as a lot can change in almost 20 years!

BTW, they used an existing roof vent on my unit to install the A/C. I have no other roof vent.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:33 AM   #6

It is my understanding that Pop ups do not have factory installed a/c due to shipping limitations. Therefore all Pop up a/c is after market installed.

When we bought our 2012 we decided to hold off on having a/c installed. We have found that there are only a day or two here in MN that we would actually need a/c (in fact we use the propane furnace most nights). We have found that 2 small oscillating fans work well to cool it down.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #7

Rooftop ac

If anyone cares my AC is sitting in my living room. Hahah here is a pic. I'll post pics when I pickup the roof supports and do the install. It's a Dometic brisk 2 it weighs 73 lbs.