Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #1

rotting sides of roof

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the group but not to Jayco. We have owned a few popups and never really had any issuse but this one is a mess. Standing next to the camper outside and looking up between the canvas and the roof there is wood, ours is growing what appears to be mushrooms (mold) not to sure. I am going to need to remove that wood and replace it. Has anyone done this and if so can you tell me if you took the entire roof off? I really don't want to do that because I have no where to strore it. Any ideas will be so helpful.
lovetocamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #2

I have discovered exactly the same thing with my Jay Series 1407. Jayco dealer wants over $1000 to repair (did not say repair or remove/replace) and another $250 to caulk. On mine the metal band that wraps around the roof is pulling away from the roof. I think this is where the moisture is getting into. I could do it myself if 1) I had the room in garage and 2) wasn't so lazy lately.
KennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #3

I will be pulling it apart this weekend. I will try and remember to get pictures and post them. The canvas looks like it's pretty easy to take off so wish me luck.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
Site Team

LUCK! Take some pictures as you go.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:03 AM   #5

Please do provide pictures of the progress.

You'll likely run into mold. We were very successful using vinegar to kill off the mold. I used Titebond glue thinned with a bit of water to encapsulate any of the wood showing remnants of mold which we left in place. It worked very well. Our trailer has no smell or evidence of the mold being a problem. I suppose Kilz or Zinsser 123 would work as well, but they need more ventilation when applying.

Don't be afraid to stray from original with your repairs. Many of the structural designs of trailers relate to making assembly easier at the factory.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:51 AM   #6

Love2camp2: Please let us know what the thickness of the wood is under there. We have a rotted section we need to replace on the back end of our 1206. We too don't have anywhere to work sheltered from the elements so having all the supplies ready to go beforehand would be really helpful. And as others have said, good luck and PLEASE take photos as you go!
outrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #7

We have started to remove the wood. No problem so far. My husband removed the canvas, door and molding up at the top. He just removed as much as he could with a putty knife and now he will use a dremal tool to get to the rest. I have pics and I put them in an album on here but can't figure out how to post them. If anyone can help with that I will post them. We will be working on it again tomorrow and hope to have it done. Really so far it was a breeze. Vic what is titebond? Did you use it on all of the wood or just on the area that had the damage? Also if the wood is only there for a little support I was wanting to use something that doesn't hold water or cause mold, maybe like spray foam, the stuff you use for cracks in door frames. My husband doesn't think it will be strong enough. He left all of the wood at the top that holds the hardware for the post that raise it up so that's intact. I will keep trying to post the pic.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetocamp2 View Post
... Vic what is titebond? Did you use it on all of the wood or just on the area that had the damage? ...
I used Titebond II Premium Wood Glue. I thinned it with a bit of water with the idea that it would then soak into the dead mold and the wood to add a bit of strength to the water damaged areas. I don't know if I was successful in adding much strength, but it did help to stabilize the wood surfaces. It also sealed in the mold well with no obnoxious fumes.

The glue is water soluble when wet so cleans up easily. It is water resistant once dried. A 16 oz bottle will go a long way.

Titebond - Product

Typically foam of itself doesn't add much structural support. I have successfully married aluminum angle or light gauge steel angle to areas of wood structure which need to be beefed up. The angle can often be added without needing to remove entire sections of rotted structure.

All damage is different so my angle idea may not apply to your situation.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #9

I made the album public so that you can look at what has been done. I will take more pic tomorrow when we pop it up and begin replacing everything.

Tags
mold, replacement, roof, rotting