Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #1

Sealing leaks ... Flex Seal???

So in the Chicago area it was raining pretty good overnight and this was the first opportunity I've had to check on the water leak situation in the camper. I found I have a pretty good leak that's coming out of the seam in the ceiling panel by my rear bed - I had to put a bucket in there to hold the water. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried that Flex Seal stuff to seal the roof seam on the pop-up?? It seems like it may be an OK option for a quick fix. I don't have time to take it to a dealer and have them seal the thing up - don't have that kind of money either.

I'm thinking about taping off the roof leaving only the center seam exposed and then spraying it with the white Flex Seal. Let me know if you've done this or something else that worked. Just need to resolve the leak and move on. Thanks!

~Moose
Moose73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose73 View Post
I'm thinking about taping off the roof leaving only the center seam exposed and then spraying it with the white Flex Seal. Let me know if you've done this or something else that worked. Just need to resolve the leak and move on. Thanks!

~Moose
I would stay with products specifically designed for roof repair. The Flex Seal may work, but it may not be easily/completely cleaned off which could cause proper products not to bond for future repairs. It also may not have great UV resistance.

I would use a sealant that is recommended for your roof type. Many people have good success with Eternabond tape. Many RV centers sell Dicor products. Good luck. vic
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #3

Thanks VicS1950! I looked up the Eternabond tape and it looks like a better option. I just wasn't sure what options I had as a DIY solution. Ordering the tape today from Amazon, should have it Friday!

~Moose
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #4

Just an update... I used the Eternabond to seal the main seam in the center of the roof and it worked GREAT! We just got back from 6 days on the road and saw about 3 days of rain without any issues - dry, dry, dry! I will certainly be using that again when needed.

===============
2000 Jayco Eagle 14SO
Old 09-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #5

x2 for the Eterna bond repair tape. I used it on a 8 ft front seam leak and no more leaks...so far.
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #6

Dry is good.
2005 Jayco 1007 - 2007 - 2012
2010 Jayko 141J - 2012 -
Jayko 141 is offline   Reply With Quote