Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Steps to make Jayco pop-up safe after 4 years in driveway

Hi all,

Thanks for the opportunity to get information from other pop-up owners. My Jayco 8 ft pop-up has been sitting in the driveway for 4 years and I'm not sure what maintenance/safety checks I need to do to make it safe to pull. The tires have not been covered and someone told me that I needed to have the wheel bearings repacked. Can anyone advise? FYI, I am a mom with two teenagers who really want to go camping again.

Thanks.

Elan123
elan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #2

Have the bearings re-packed, have the brakes checked (if you have them) and take it to a reputable tire dealer and have them checked. If the tires are over 5 years old I personally would replace them.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #3

Yep, the wheels, bearrings, and tires are first and foremost for a PUP. I'd also verify that the electrical plug's connections work for your trailer brake and tail lights. Want to be sure you can be seen. Lastly, and this is probably obvious, but open it up, make sure the lift works, and make sure no pests have taken up residence. Two years ago, after just a2 month gap between opening/de-winterizing and taking it on a trip, we got an ant infestation. But, we didn't discover the ants until we got to our campsite in a campground in the sticks. Thankfully, we had a small shop vac with us; that and some ant spray from the camp store saved the week.
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #4

If you have a fresh water tank I would be wary of what might have been growing in there over the years.