Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

storm survival

I plan on going camping this weekend and they are calling for some good t-storms, was wondering how pop-ups make out. We are new to it this year. We had a windy weekend but it was dry
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #2

I was in a pretty good storm with my Coleman Bayside. Was a little unnerving as the wind was whipping around the canvas and the roof was moving around, but overall no issues, was just a little concerning. I almost gave up and went into the TV, but decided to weather it out in the popup. I learned later that there was hail in the area, but it didn't hit the campground, just lots of rain and 40--50mph winds.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

Re: storm survival

Since Wilbur (Jay) Bontrager was an engineer at Starcraft before starting JAYCO and the person who developed the crank up lifter system, I think this will help ease your mind.

In 1972/73, too far back for this "ole memory" a tornado went through the Starcraft Rally site in Iowa and none of the pop-ups collapsed. Some were damaged by flying debris, awnings tore off and the big rally tent collapsed, but no one was injured.

I think that is a good testament as to how well they are designed. Also last year our son's 17xz (hybrid) survived 50 mph winds and rain. The bunks barely moved.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

The worse we find with the POPUP is the movement of the top in the front to back sides . You can usually stand inside the trailer and push out at the top of the door and move the whole top about 6-8 inches. There is hardly any movement from the end to end sides.

This was so bad in the front to back sides in one storm it actually knocked our HDTV off its shelf setup.

My fix for this was to install some HD 1/2-inch eyelet bolts in the four corners of the POPUP roof and run these to ground using 1/2-inch web ratchet straps. I use the 3-inch x 18-inch earth augurs with hooks in the four corners aroud the roof and attach the 15-foot long web straps to this. I also will run a couple more straps down from the front awning to thee two earth augers on the awning side as well. The earth augers screw into the ground with ease with just a large screwdrive. When you pull them them up they do not leave any disturbance to the soil.

This totally stops the front to back movement and protects the awning as well.

This has added a good 10-15MPH survival from high winds...

Using the ratchet type web straps makes it so easy to tear down in a moments notice. We usually stay put until the winds gets around the 45MPH then head for shelter in the bath house.

Being in the OFF-ROAD POPUP alot camping off the power grids i work real hard at keeping aware of the weather that includes high winds. Using the OTA Batwing ANtenna for local town HDTV signals is a must. Most all of these local high def digital TV stations have a dedicated live 24/7 RADAR broadcast for the area you camping in. We also have the NOAH WX Alert radio with us at all times.

Its all in the planning
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #5

I would not chance it, my Jayco Eagle 12 FSO was just destroyed in a storm that rolled through Culpeper several weeks ago. All I can say is that I am very glad no one was in it at the time, I had just set it up to replace the lifter poles and cables when it happened. Here is a link to my pictures if you want to see.
http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/Br...?sort=4&page=1
zoltarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #6

Zoltarp... How bad was the storm.... What where the conditions?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

That's a beautiful place you have. Sorry about the Pup damage.

Dou

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #8

I just happened to be on this thread and saw the pictures of your camper. Are you selling parts still. If you are send me a pm, I live down the road from you.
cv60cat2 is offline   Reply With Quote