Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #1

Thetford Cassette Toilet

Well, the first successful trip out with the camper was this past weekend. No major issues. I was pretty nervous towing it since I am not used to towing at all, but I did it (even through a narrow construction zone, which I called "running the gauntlet"), and I am proud of myself! Just had to ask for some help getting hitched back up when it was time to leave this morning. Anyway, while I was out for the weekend, I quickly discovered that our Thetford cassette toilet does not seem to want to flush. I followed the directions to the letter in setting it up and in trying to operate it. I ended up using a little ingenuity, and drained some of the (plain) flush water from the tank from outside into an empty Gatorade bottle and keeping that inside the "bathroom" for rinsing the bowl. Didn't work too badly.

Anyway, we'd like to know how to get this operating correctly since hubby is going to be taking the camper this weekend by himself. We don't know if we're just missing a step, or if there is something wrong with the flush mechanism or what.

Could you fine folks give us some things to check that might be the issue? The knob next to the toilet does open and close the valve at the top of the cassette tank (bottom of the bowl) just fine, but there is no "push" to the knob as there is supposed to be according to the manual. Since we're not at all familiar with this system, we're not sure what might need to be repaired or what might be missing. The only "manual" we have is what is in the Jayco owner's handbook. We do not have a separate manual for the toilet. Yes, there is water in the flush tank. It was full. Happy to post photos if need be.

Thanks a heap!
outrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:09 PM   #2

if you have the C-4 model here is the print and parts list you most likely would need either part# 8,9 or 10 or the complete assembly. These parts can be found on e-bay or from a dealer

Parts List

8---33193 Flush tube
9---33356 Inlet tube
10--33355 Bellows
20--2029162 Flush Mechanism White
Attached Thumbnails
parts-diagram-Porta-Potti-Cassette-C4.gif  
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #3

Not sure which model you have but on mine you twist the handle to flush.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #4

Will have to go out and see if I can find a model number on it. Any ideas where to look for the model number? There is writing (instructions in several languages on how to use the toilet) on the inside of the lid, but I don't recall seeing a model number. The instructions say to turn the knob/handle to open the valve to the tank and to push the knob to flush.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #5

Look in the outside compartment I would think you should see either C2, C3 or C4
Old 09-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #6

Just ran out (in the rain) to check inside, and nothing there that I can see for a model number. Can look inside the compartment tomorrow. I did go on the Thetford website and it looks like it's probably a C2. It's the only one on their site that looks like the one we have. We have the toilet paper holder and the flush/valve opening knob on the other side. The other models don't have that layout. Porta Potti Cassette C2 | Thetford
Old 09-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

Wow, I thought I had seen wiring up in there when I looked quickly with a flashlight the other night. This thing has a fuse? And it's 30 amp? So it could be an electrical problem, not just mechanical. So does this work on a 12v system? A 30 amp fuse on a 12 volt system sounds a little excessive. I SURE hope that this isn't only able to be used when hooked up to 120v! Kinda pointless if you ask me. I also see it has a "switch" but the diagram doesn't show WHERE! A "flasher"? So there's a little man in a trench coat under the toilet exposing himself every time the toilet is used? LOL I go to the manual section of the Thetford site and click on the link for the C2 and a little window comes up with just the model number of the toilet (which does say "electric flush"), but no manual. UGH!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #8

After looking a little further, I found a better parts diagram for the international version at Thetford international (everything but the US, apparently) and it's saying a 3 amp fuse, which seems a bit more realistic, and it does say that it operates on 12v. I see that their customer service number is open tomorrow, so I will probably give them a call and find out why I can't get a manual online and hope they'll send me one.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #9

Ok, it is definitely a C2. Incidently, I did find a manual and several repair sheets...on a non-Thetford website. I'd be interested in knowing why Thetford can't be bothered to have manuals for their own products on their website. Not cool Thetford...not cool!

Found the fuse and pulled it (dang hard to get in there and I have small hands...but had to unscrew it left handed!). It was bad. Went and got a new fuse and installed it. Now we're hearing only a "click, click click" when the flush button is pressed. I assume that is the flasher? It sounds like a car's turn signal. No humming of any motor or anything, and no flushing action either. So is the next thing to do pulling the pump and seeing if it's gunked up? I think I found it. It's right under the toilet paper dispenser, correct?
Old 09-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #10

I also did some searching and was able to find some troubleshooting information Just google Thetford C2 and you will get many sites to check
Old 09-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
if you have the C-4 model here is the print and parts list you most likely would need either part# 8,9 or 10 or the complete assembly. These parts can be found on e-bay or from a dealer

Parts List

8---33193 Flush tube
9---33356 Inlet tube
10--33355 Bellows
20--2029162 Flush Mechanism White
What a timely post, I just dug one of these out of the old camping stuff that's been parked years. Doesn't want to flush and I hadn't googled it yet. Thanks for the time saver.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #12

We went out and pulled the pump out and was able to turn the impeller, so it's not bound up with gunk or anything. Tried pressing the flush button and we could hear the clicking and I could also feel the "tick" in the pump as I held it in my hand. Then it stopped. Pulled the fuse and it's blown. So I'm thinking the pump is shot?
Old 09-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #13

look on the pump and see if it gives an amp rating if it does then make up a wiring harness with a fuse in the hot leg and connect it to you battery if the fuse blows I would replace the pump but from what your saying I do think the pump is bad
Old 09-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #14

Well, the fuse that is in it is a 3 amp fuse, so I would hope that it's a 3 amp or less rating! I'll have to see if I can figure out where the wiring gets hooked in under there. It's so cramped and difficult to see and get to. Hopefully it's not too difficult or impossible to get to. The impeller didn't even try to turn when we tried it, so I am thinking it's the pump too. Since I was able to feel the "ticking" in the pump, it had to be getting power/signal to try to run, but couldn't. Thanks for the help Bedrck46.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #15

Let the forum know how you make out after you get it fixed
Old 09-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #16

Ok, the new pump for the toilet arrived today. We put in a new fuse, hooked up the wires temporarily and hit the flush button and it WORKED! Unfortunately, the new pump is considerably smaller than the old one and it doesn't fit in the bracket like it should (research into replacing it we knew we'd have to do some adjusting). So we've used some silicone to fill in the area between the new pump and the bracket and it's setting up. Soon we WILL have a FLUSHING toilet! Thanks for all the help in diagnosing the issue!
Old 10-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #17

Aha!

When I bought my new to me PuP last year I had this exact issue. When flushing all I heard was a click click click. I called Thetford (who has incredible customer service, the rep stayed on the phone with me for 50 minutes while I fixed it)

I was instructed to disconnect all power to the PuP and remove the toilet paper holder. This provides access to the water tank, then pull out the submersible pump motor. Then was told to lube "the heck" out of the motor with WD-40 and try to spin it manually.

Sure enough my pump motor was frozen, using a screwdriver and liberal amounts of WD-40 I sprayed and turned it until it spun freely. Then reinstall everything and Presto, it works like new!!

I hope this helps :-)

Update * I was so excited that I knew the fix, I missed your last post that you resolved the issue already..... Sorry
Old 09-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #18

Mine says not to exceed 5 amp fuse. Read on another forum where flush motor seizes and blows fuse. Again from others, you can try to free pump impeller, but most say just replace the pump every few years, don't use additives to flush water. Pump was about $45 on Amazon.
pop up pilot is offline   Reply With Quote