Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #1

Tips

So as a new owner of a used pop up.. I have a question that I never considered until I purchased this camper, which is.. is there anything that can be done to maintenance/inspect the pulley system on this camper? it seems fine, but I somehow stumbled onto some discussions online about nightmare scenarios when people were setting up at a camp sites and the cable snaps.. I've tried look at mine ..vaguely to see if I can see it (cables) , but cant seem to see any access point anywhere without disassembling things like cabinets and such..The camper itself is immaculate, and well cared for by previous owners.. Should I worry about it or am I worried for nothing?
2002 Jayco Heritage w/slide
campkcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

When the roof is up you should see some of the cables inside the lift tubes. The critical part is underneath where the pullies are exposed to the weather. The underneath pullies definitely need to be lubed regularly.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum!

As far as the cable system. If it's working, don't mess with it. But, it's a good idea to have the lift system inspected every so often. Not sure on the duration but, I'd imagine every other year. On my old Coleman, I could get to the system and do some of my own preventive maintenance. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #4

@Grumpy
In mine however there is nothing exposed.. the lift struts are the gold 3 step, and they are sealed from view..I've crawled underneath and they look as if they'd be running through the cabin area, across the front and rear, there is a trimmed out step (if you will) that is sealed and does not look accessible without tearing it apart to access the cables.. I will consult an RV shop as to what they recommend, I just close my eyes every time I crank it up as Im now paranoid it will snap on me..lol thanks though

@TWP723 I like the way you think.. if it aint broke , dont mess with it..
Old 08-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #5

We bought a '72 Jayco pop-up in '92. I didn't know anything about them at the time. The corners of the floor were rotted and the lift system didn't work right as a result. I rebuilt the floor and recabled the lift system.

In '93 we bought a new Jayco 1208 pop-up. We had that trailer for 10 years.

What I noticed as it got older, this was in the last few years we had it, is that the cables started to bind a bit. It's just the nature of the beast, the cables stretch out a little over time.

I have personally never heard of a cable snapping. Bolts holding the pulleys down that rust and come out of the wood, binding cables that don't allow you to crank up or down, posts that get bent or damaged. Things like that I think are far more common than a cable snapping.

If it's all working good just have fun with it!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #6

Thanks .. yes I'm jus being a little parinoid about it . I'm sure it will be fine .. thx for the input 😊
Old 08-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #7

Currently, frame, floor, roof & lift system are all lifetime warranty items.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #8

So any RV dealer will honor the warrantee no matter what?? If that's the case then that's a load off
Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

I don't know what their warranty was when yours was made, and I doubt if it transfers to 2nd owners. But that warranty is one reason I purchased new. I'm covered as long as I own it.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #10

We had a 95 Dutchman pop up and I did snap a cable. Fortunately it was at home. I was a little horrified at what I was going to do. We went to the local dealer and we're quoted about $1000.00 and 3 weeks. Did some searching on Google and you tube and discovered it was not a big deal. Within 2 hrs I had the lift system out and the cable in hand. Took it to our local wire rope supplier and was handed a free replacement in a day or two. ( we buy a lot of wire rope). Installed it in a couple of hrs and we were back in business. Best part was it cost me nothing and only took 4 or 5 hrs. If you are worried try and locate where your cables change direction and be sure the pulies are working correctly. There may be a few grease nipples underneath and a little spray lube down the posts never hurt. Note the trailer was 20 years old when the cable finally broke, one of the pulies was damaged and had rubbed on the cable. Pay attention to how hard it is to wind the top upward, may give you a clew as to the condition of things
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in NC View Post
Currently, frame, floor, roof & lift system are all lifetime warranty items.
When was that lifetime warrantee introduced?? The lift system may be warranteed but I doubt that it would include the cables. I had a cable snap years ago while setting up in Zion NP. I cut a branch the length of a fully extended corner brace and with DW's help carefully pushed up the broken corner while she cranked up the top. I then used a couple bungie cords to secure the branch at the tip and bottom. I then pulled out the broken end of the cable so it wouldn't tangle when I lowered the top a few days later. The fix worked for the rest of the trip that included 2 more "UPS and DOWNS". Back at home I purchased a replacement cable and with info from the dealer I removed the old cable ends and installed the new one. Not exactly straight forward but can be done.

My tip for a new pup owner is carefully raise the top BEFORE you set the stabilizer legs. That allow the top to wobble and helps prevent a jam on the pulleys.

Raise and lower your top with a friend on the crank so you can observe and listen as it goes up. You should expect a little creaking but what you want to note is a corner that tends to stick and lurch. That indicates something is binding up, possibly a pully. I would consult with a dealer before I started shooting it with lub. An occasional shot of silicone lub might be all that is needed.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #12

Thanks CRANETECH for your response, I am pretty mechanically incline, matter of fact, I've been a Auto tech for over 30 years, so as far as the work itself, I'm not one bit afraid to tackle it if it happens.. but unfortunately on my 2002 Heritage, there is absolutely nothing exposed, I've looked again even after I started this thread.. I believe they run side to side at the front and back and they are boxed in.. so without removing some cabinets to get to the boxed in cables then removing that, it just isn't worth worrying about until something happens.. In mine there is nothing to lube, unless its underneath those boxes..
I do appreciate the input though
Old 08-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #13

Bassdogs, the liftsysyem is lifetime. As per manual, what's not covered:
1) periodic cable adjustments
2) optional electric power winch motor
I don't know when they started there lifetime coverage on the major components. I looked under mine at the cable arangement and they run through conduits so they are lo longer exposed to the weather and road dirt & salt. I am guessing the is a pulley at the top of the post?
One nice thing with the electric option is it comes with a remote so can walk around and keep an eye on things while raising and lowering.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #14

I think they've had the lifetime warranty for a very long time. Our '93 Jayco 1208 had the lifetime lift system warranty.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #15

I have a 99 heritage. The lift system is all inside so no worries there. For the most part it requires minimal maintenance. It is all hidden behind your cabinets and the steps in front of the bunks.

I spray the lift arms with dry silicone every year. On mine the warranty could be transferred to a 2nd owner only but there were some hoops to jump through.

How is your canvas? Mine is a 99 and the stitching had begun to rot. It got to the point where every trip I would pull another section apart during setup. I did discover that Jayco still stocks replacement canvas and my local dealer was able to get it for half the cost that bear creek or canvas replacements charges.
Sneezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:39 PM   #16

We had an old starcraft PU. We had a couple cables cables snap.

Before any cables ever broke, we bought safety braces. Basically c-channel with a hand grip. We eventually bought two. Installed them in opposite corners.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:05 AM   #17

Well... that's a funny /sad story lol... When I bought it, the canvas was pristine, Like new, even smelled new. that all changed after our first trip out.. So the night before we were leaving, we were tearing it down after we packed it up with supplies, and it got dark, so we had the interior lamps on, at least the rear one, so I decided to leave it on , and that when I unplugged the power cord from the garage it would go off, I even checked to make sure it would not stay on once unplugged and it went off (the light). so the next morning I hooked up the truck and away we went.. well what I didn't know was that as soon as I plugged in my truck to the trailer lamps, I guess that powers up the camper as well.. So as we began to set up the camper at the camp site, I noticed the lamp that was on, had burnt 2 equal size holes in the canvas, the mattress sheet , and the cushion top we installed.. had the trip been any longer , we may have burnt the entire thing to the ground... so needless to say my canvas isn't pristine anymore, but thanks to canvas tape we patched it and while it looks like crap, it doesn't leak at all..Live and learn I suppose.. Its embarrassing but at the same time.. it is what it is.. I work for a company that has a canvas /trim department, and if I get ambitious this winter , I might pull off the canvas and have them fix it.. we'll see
Old 08-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #18

Just wanted to add one additional lube point. The owners manual for our 1007 included the procedure for lubing the winch itself. This was done through the access hatch for the winch handle and was an annual maintenance item. You can also inspect the first length of cable through this hatch as you lift or drop the top.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote