Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2017, 05:29 AM   #1

Trailer tires for jayco 1992 1006

Hi, not sure if I'm in the right section but I have Carlyle USA Trailer tires with my pop up camper. Specifically, 5.30-12. They're rated at 80 # psi at maximum load of 1050 pounds per tire. If my camper and load weighs approximately 1500 pounds, does that mean each tire should have about 55 pounds of psi? In other words about 70% of maximum load? Any insight would be appreciated. Right now my tires have 32# each. Thanks everyone.
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

You definitely want more than 32 # in your tires. Most load/inflation charts for trailer tires show a proportional inflation pressure based on load but not necessarily a direct proportion. I have the same 5.3X12 tires on my Jayco 1006 with the same load/inflation ratings. I've actually stripped a lot of weight off my camper so I'm estimating it is abut 1,200 lbs. I still plan to run about 60 psi (I haven't taken it on the road yet). I haven't tried this but I've been told that you can rub chalk on your tread and then drive around a bit to see how the chalk wears off. If it only wears in the middle then you have too much pressure. If it wears evenly then the tread is staying flat all the way across and that is about where you want it. If it wears only on the outside edges then you don't have enough pressure.
les45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

When we had our pop--up I always ran the tires at max. Heat is your enemy and 12" tires make a lot of revolutions at 60-65 mph.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #4

Trailer tires should always be kept at maximum inflation. If you do not the sidewalls can flex, and cause terrible sway.

Even on my small utility trailer, I always keep 80 PSI in the tires.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #5

I was always told to keep the pressure at the max number for trailer tires. Bad things happen when you underinflate.

Check the date code on your tires as well. I have had 2 blowouts recently, both with Carlisle tires. Admittedly they might have been near the end of their age range to begin with, but I am not too impressed with them at present.
Sneezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #6

I just looked at my tires, they're Carlise, and I don't see a DOT date code. At least not on the outside, would it only be on one side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #7

Based on another post I just read, my tires are probably o l d ! I see no numbers after the DOT stamp, just letters. Anybody know for sure about Carlisle tire DOT codes?

Old 07-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciret View Post
I just looked at my tires, they're Carlise, and I don't see a DOT date code. At least not on the outside, would it only be on one side?

This is on our recently acquired 2009 Jay Series 1007.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #9

When I bought replacements last week I noticed the dot code was only on one side of the tire. Check the other side. I also noticed a few in the store that had the dot number but the stamp was missing with the date code.
Sneezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #10

I got Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire - ST145/12 LRE. Went with the radial because they are supposed to run cooler which means they should last longer. Got the 10 ply cause they were only a dollar more. Hopefully they will last a l o n g time.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Heat is your enemy and 12" tires make a lot of revolutions at 60-65 mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Trailer tires should always be kept at maximum inflation. If you do not the sidewalls can flex,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezer View Post
Bad things happen when you underinflate..
I'll tie those all together: When you under-inflate, the sidewalls flex more, which generates more heat. Tires also run hotter the faster you go (more flexing cycles). Excessive heat causes blowouts.

So keep the psi at the recommended level regardless of load, unless a chalk test is showing that you're running on just the middle of the tread.
StrandedonEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:13 AM   #12
Site Team

The DOT number will only be on one side.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciret View Post
This is on our recently acquired 2009 Jay Series 1007.

We bought a 2010 1007 last December with what I think were original tires. We live in SW Michigan and traveled to Lake Superior last month to camp. On the way back about 50 miles into the return trip, one tire gave up the tread but never lost pressure. The remaining tread in the tire grabbed the rear sheet metal wheel well and bent it against the tire before I could stop (doing about 60mph). Fortunately, I had a large rubber mallet and pounded the wheel well back into place. I got across the Mackinac Bridge and stopped in Petoskey and picked up two new Carlisle ST145R12 load E tires, had one mounted and returned to the camper as a spare. The other will be mounted later this month and third has been purchased, waiting for delivery.

The date code on the replaced tire was 2008, meaning they were on the shelf two years before being used by Jayco. The two new ones are 2016. As a side note, the tread looked excellent but the age (9 years old) got the best if it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote