Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #1

Traveling with frig on LP???

So we're taking off tomorrow morning which means I thought of this too late...
does anyone run their frig on LP while in route to where ever you're going? My neighbor said he does that but I'm not sure it *should* be done.
I have a 2000 Jayco Eagle 14so and I don't know if the DC will work through the connection to the truck. The camper has the standard 6-wire connection and the cable is a 6-to-4 wire but the "charge" line isn't wired in that cable. Will the frig work on that cable? So that's the why I'm questioning the LP...

We've decided not to put anything in the frig that needs to stay cold and we'll run it on DC until we get to the first stop tomorrow night. If it's cold we'll know...

If you have time and know an answer please let me know. I'll be checking back in the morning. Thanks!

===============
2000 Jayco Eagle 14SO
Moose73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #2

I've heard a number of people on the forum do but we were told by the product expert when we bought the trailer not to. She said "an open propane line would just make a bad accident that much worse".

Not sure how much risk there really is so it's up to you. I haven't yet but I haven't done any long trips in hot weather yet either.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #3

Traveling with frig on LP???

I run mine on propane while in transit all the time. We cool it down about 36 hours before we leave and my wife stocks it full the night before and disconnect from shore power right before leaving and off we go. I always leave my switch in auto mode so i don't have to worry about switching to gas.
Hope this helps and have a safe trip.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #4

I run with mine on LP no issues. Here is a link to a thread where this was recently discussed at length. http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=12990

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 28bhs.
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #5

I run my on propane while in transit in the auto mode also. I have not nor have I heard of anyone experiencing any issues.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose73 View Post
...14so and I don't know if the DC will work through the connection to the truck. The camper has the standard 6-wire connection and the cable is a 6-to-4 wire but the "charge" line isn't wired in that cable. Will the frig work on that cable? So that's the why I'm questioning the LP...

If you have time and know an answer please let me know. I'll be checking back in the morning. Thanks!
Other members will likely have better input as to running the propane while underway.

From your trailer connection description it sounds like you are adapting to a 4 wire in-line connector. That would mean that while towing you don't have electric brake capability or "charge" as you mentioned.

I doubt that your trailer refrigerator has a standing pilot (although it could have a replacement unit of some sort) so even when you are cooling with propane you still need 12 VDC for the refrigeration controls. Without the "charge" from your vehicle you will be depending completely on your TT battery for 12 volt supply unless your are connected to 120 volt AC shore power or running a generator (I know, highly unlikely).

If your TT battery is good condition and fully charged it should power the refrigeration for a day of travel with no problem. If the battery is old and on its way out... who knows??

Sorry I can't offer more. vic
Old 06-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #7

I have asked the question many times. We have rented MH a few times over the years. Everyone of the rental places had in their rental policies not to run the frig on LP while in motion.

When we were looking for a new TT I asked the question to all the dealers. They all stated it was fine to run them on LP while in motion, a few added to check with local laws as they were not sure if it was legal in all states.

We have a lot of delivery trucks in this area that use LP as a fuel source. So what is the difference between a TT or a car or truck that uses LP as a fuel source? The TT is less likely to be in an accident than a delivery truck, that is on the road everyday.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #8

LP/fridge on while trailering....no issues. And how do you charge your trailer battery without a hook up to the Tow vehicle (and if going somewhere w/ no hookups)? That's the first thing I'd fix.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the input. From what I'm seeing I'll most likely use the LP while traveling.

There were several questions/remarks about the battery so wanted to clear that up - I don't have a battery. I've got the lines for the battery to be installed but I don't have one in or on the camper. I'm going to put a battery on and I may put a solar charging system on as well - just depends on what we end up doing with the camper. Worst case I'll be just adding the battery...

===============
2000 Jayco Eagle 14SO
Moose73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
We have a lot of delivery trucks in this area that use LP as a fuel source. So what is the difference between a TT or a car or truck that uses LP as a fuel source? The TT is less likely to be in an accident than a delivery truck, that is on the road everyday.
That sounds like a reasonable comparison. Modern travel trailer propane line connections are also equipped with flow limiters so as long as the hose assembly remains intact it's not like it should blow all the propane at once.

That said, laws are laws so depending upon where you are driving it can matter.

I found this link has some good general information and some alternatives.

http://gypsyjournal.net/traveling_with_propane.htm

vic
Old 06-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #11

Excellent link! Thank you!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #12

We've run all our rv's (popups, tt, 5'er, camper) while driving since the early 90's with no issues. We are diligent about turning it off when parking for longer than a few minutes (shopping, food stop, etc) if unable to 'level' the rv "front to back" so as not to damage the coils. But we tend to do long drives to our next camping destinations when traveling and need to keep the fridge cold. We aren't as diligent about turning the fridge off when gassing up, but have never had an issue with that. We have never owned a MH, so don't have experience with those.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
I've heard a number of people on the forum do but we were told by the product expert when we bought the trailer not to. She said "an open propane line would just make a bad accident that much worse".

Not sure how much risk there really is so it's up to you. I haven't yet but I haven't done any long trips in hot weather yet either.
I have little faith in the so-called dealer "experts" most of them just give you a matter-of-fact answer so that they won't look stupid. I run my fridge on propane while travelling and refuelling. On that note, there's nothing more exciting than a good BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion). See what comes up on that when you do a youtube search!!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #14

Forums can be very educational. I have now learned that if I can't find a pump far enough away from a refueling RV or travel trailer tow vehicle I will move on to another station.

Gasoline vapor can be very insidious stuff. vic
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose73 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. From what I'm seeing I'll most likely use the LP while traveling.

There were several questions/remarks about the battery so wanted to clear that up - I don't have a battery. I've got the lines for the battery to be installed but I don't have one in or on the camper. I'm going to put a battery on and I may put a solar charging system on as well - just depends on what we end up doing with the camper. Worst case I'll be just adding the battery...
Good idea to have the "house" battery installed for your trailer. A battery is necessary to the operation of the breakaway switch on the trailer and for brake application if your trailer separates from your tow vehicle.

As for the fridge on LP while in transit, I've done so since I have owned an RV without issues. Generally, when traveling highways where you may encounter tunnels, you will likely see signs requiring you to extinguish any flame producing equipment before entering a tunnel, and as someone posted, some states might completely prohibit use of LP appliances while traveling in their particular state, but I couldn't tell you which states prohibit it. On my fifth wheel, the gas distribution line was black iron pipe with copper flex lines teeing off that to the appliances, and they were fairly well protected from road debris impact or routed away from wheel areas so they wouldn't be taken out by a tire blowout.
On our WhiteHawk, the lines are plastic and totally outside of the underbelly except where they go up to connect to an appliance. That does concern me a bit.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #16

You stated that you have a 4 wire cable to that plugs your Trailer to the tow vehicle and the charge wire isnt hooked up and that you have no battery. On my trailer it takes Propane and a 12 volt source to make the fridge work on propane. So I would think you will need to hook up the charge wire or install a battery unless I am missing something.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
You stated that you have a 4 wire cable to that plugs your Trailer to the tow vehicle and the charge wire isnt hooked up and that you have no battery. On my trailer it takes Propane and a 12 volt source to make the fridge work on propane. So I would think you will need to hook up the charge wire or install a battery unless I am missing something.
x2

If your TV is a 4 wire set up (green = Rt Turn/yellow = Left Turn/brown = running lights/brake light/white = ground) and if plugged into a pigtail 4 wire-6 wire adapter to the trailers 6 wire set up you are not supplying a constant 12 volt to the trailer. You need 12v to run that fridge and brake away electric brakes (if TT is equipped)

I suggest you get a battery installed before your trip.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #18

My 2010 806 has a pilot light to ignite the flame for the fridge when called for,no 12v supply is required.The pilot stays lit whilst traveling.It should be turned off whilst refueling.
extenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by extenter View Post
My 2010 806 has a pilot light to ignite the flame for the fridge when called for,no 12v supply is required.The pilot stays lit whilst traveling.It should be turned off whilst refueling.

With out an electrical signal from the thermostat to call for flame, how does the burner "know" when heat is required? Do your controls possibly have an internal power pack?

I run my fridge while on the road, It probably is a poor idea from a first responders viewpoint. We normally will fuel up in conjunction with a meal so I shut it down after eat fuel up and leave it off. 300 miles is about my tops for a days tow any way so the problem does not arise very frequently.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch1 View Post
With out an electrical signal from the thermostat to call for flame, how does the burner "know" when heat is required? Do your controls possibly have an internal power pack?

I run my fridge while on the road, It probably is a poor idea from a first responders viewpoint. We normally will fuel up in conjunction with a meal so I shut it down after eat fuel up and leave it off. 300 miles is about my tops for a days tow any way so the problem does not arise very frequently.
As far as I know(i had to google it) what is referred to as the pilot is not really a pilot but is the flame or heat source.A thermocouple provides electrical power(from the flame) to hold open the solenoid valve,so if the flame goes out the gas supply will close off.There is a manual control High-low cool.If I set mine to high cool and the ambient temp is low then the stuff in the fridge will freeze.I have also added a couple of computer fans (a popular mod) so that if the ambient temp is high then the airflow can be increased over the coils,i doubt if I will ever need to switch them on here in Canada
extenter is offline   Reply With Quote