Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #1

Tree on trailer

Christmas gave me a tree on top of my 2105 Jayco 1006.
Roof is gone, possible axle damage.
After the tree was off, I was able to raise the roof, inside looks ok, canvas is fine.
Any suggestions or is it a write-off?
I am told new roof is over 2k.
Thanks
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
2-P1030665.jpg   3-P1030670.jpg   1-P1030690.jpg  
epauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #2

If the axle is damaged there is a good chance for bent frame. I would look over all the wall seams and cabinet seams to look for any signs that the walls have not separated.

My parents replaced a roof on a PU, it was no big deal to do, we did it ourselves, as the local dealer had not gotten to it for months.

Personally, if you are going to keep it I would get it in a garage, as the cheap blue tarps are not very water proof.

What does the insurance agent say about the damage?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #3

With that much impact force, I'd suspect wall framing damage and who knows what else. Could be a total loss unless you're really handy.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #4

Do not attempt to have that fixed. I would imagine it's a no brainer write-off but if the decision isn't so easy for the adjuster I would push hard to have it written off. It will never be the same again and even after the repairs are done I guarantee you will find other signs of the accident.

Take it to a trailer dealership (if you can somehow) or have them come to you, and have them do up a repair estimate. Make it very clear to them you want the bill to reflect any and all repairs (even the maybe's) , as this will get you closer and closer to the write off point. Submit this to your insurance and they should be able to do the math. Often times the insurance company will pay for the repair estimate (reimburse you after the fact) but discuss these details with them prior to paying for one.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

damage

How can one tell if the frame is bent?
As for the insurance, when I got the trailer I was told it would be covered by the house insurance. What they did not tell me the limit was only $1000.
I am quite handy and believe could handle almost anything but a bent frame.
On the other hand, the ground was still quite soft and did absorb some of the impact given the indentation under the wheel and front support.
Thanks for all your replies.
Paul
Old 03-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #6

IMHO you don't want to fix this unless you would like to do it yourself. Several possibilities for hidden damage.
I think you could find a used popup for less then the time and $$ you would need to invest to repair this one.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #7

If the tree was any significant size, which it appears it was, I would total it. Never know what you are going to find when you try to fix (unknowns you can't see) and if anything significant hit my trailer I'd replace just from not only a money pit problem but a safety concern.
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #8

It looks like the tree branch landed nice and squarely down the center of the roof, which is very good, it would even the shock load on the entire box.

If insurance is only going to give you $1K, I would consider rebuilding it myself. The major expense will be the roof. Really no way to rebuild the existing roof. You could go online and look for a used roof. It would be worth determining which years and models use your roof. Jayco might be willing to help identify models and years that used your roof, if you contact them with your VIN number.

As for the frame, this is where I would be most concerned, I would look in a few particular spots for damage. First spot is directly above and around the axles, in case the axle bottomed out onto the frame. The next area is around the A-frame for the tongue including where it attaches to the box frame of the PU. Once you know you do not have any bent locations, with some help measure diagonally across the frame in multiple locations. Being a PU frame I bet it was not built perfectly square, but I would not expect more than 1/8” out of square. If the frame is out of square, and you can locate bent steel underneath I would call it totaled. This work would be easiest to do on a flat driveway or in a garage, ideally having it jacked up on good jack stands in all four corners, getting it nice and high.

As for the axle; I assume you have a torsion axle, this will be harder to locate a local replacement cheap. You may have to locate the data plate on the axle and contact the manufacture for a replacement. I would suspect it will be $250-450 plus shipping. If it is a leaf spring supported axle Northern Tool or Fleet Farm may carry an acceptable replacement axle. If you have a torsion bar suspension and you think the PU sits too low to the ground for you, you could modify the frame to support a leaf spring axle this will raise the unit up, very nice if you like to boondock in wilderness areas, with more questionable roads.

While under the unit, I would look at the wheel wells, you could have ruptured them when with the tires. I would also look at where the wood deck meets the metal frame for separation.

If you want to rebuild it, this is the time to customize the setup to fit your needs and wants.

I have helped rebuild a few PU’s over the years, never quite with this type of damage, but they have been fairly easy to work on.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #9

Tree damage

Thanks for all the suggestions, as soon as the snow is gone ( hopefully in a couple of weeks) I will bring it on the driveway and see what can be done.
I will do check out the axle first and check for anything bent .
Thanks
paul

If all else fails, I will have a spare fridge, furnace, hot water heater .......