Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #1

Uneven roof height

I have a Jayco Select 14 hw. Have noticed that when all the way up the roof isn't level from front to back. Off over an inch with the front being low. Tendency is then to raise it too high so the door will fit. Got in to the cable area and found the 4 lift cables twisted together. Just wondering if that is how they are supposed to be? Also found that one of the rear roof lifting Jacks is pulling from the floor. So I guess I need to replace the back foot or 2 of floor in the back. What precautions do I need to take in doing that? Any guidance is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Snapchat-8988420121486487718.jpg  
Jlong1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #2

I would say they aren't supposed to be twisted. I suspect the cables have been moved or part of the system repaired at some point. The roof not being level also indicates a repair has occurred. I would recommend blocking your roof in a position where the main block (that the wires all connect to) is accessible, then taking the strain off the block by "lowering" the roof. Since the roof is on blocks (2x4 lumber lengths work ok) there won't be any load on the main block you can undo the wires and adjust.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I thought no one was going to comment. I have dug into the issue a little and have discovered the floor is rotten in the pulley mounting area. My plan is to prop up the roof as you suggested and cut the back 16" of the floor out and replace. Then remount all the lifting hardware. Lot of work but I think it is the right way to fix. I think? Why don't the build it with a treated plywood floor? $200 more when it's being built!
Jlong1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Yup you will find stuff wrong that's why I went with the Jayco because they have 2 year warranty. There are some really cool trailers that are sold everywhere around the Seattle WA area but they all have a 1 year warranties. Plus I fell love with the Jayco look and feel cause I never had a TT before and I also didn't want to be camping with a bunch of people with the same trailer cause I have found a ton of Cougars,Rainier,Keystone,and Cascade which they sell a lot of here at Polsbo RV. However they are pumping out these trailers so fast that I believe the quality of the products coming out including Jayco is going down. I'm a quality manager and I know when demand goes up quality suffers to make orders, that just reality. Even the news the other day said there is a huge spike of a much younger families buying TT & RV's to spend more time with family making memories. I know cause I'm one of them. I found myself not camping as much anymore with the tent and having a trailer now we're hitting the road as much as we can.

So, if you have problems too small to fix yourself let the Jayco dealer take care of it and if they can't fix it well ask for a new one. I have had mine a few months and they have been trying to fix my kitchen slide cause it is ripping up my floor. It looked like it was installed crooked but come to find out the floor is bowed up in one area and there is no fixing that without a MAJOR overhaul. So I don't know what the resolution will be yet cause I have been working with Jayco directly on this and I personally don't want a new trailer because I have done some killer mods that I would have to do again (mainly converting the coat closet into shelves). But I don't want a trailer with the floor getting damaged every time I use it.

Wish I could be of more help but I'm dealing with quality problems too. Also my door shuts crooked and they said it will need to be completely replaced. Ugh
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote