Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #1

What can a Jayco A-frame take for a load?

My Jayco BSB was weighed in at 2477lbs, has Cargo weight of 773lbs, and a warning that a full water tank is 224lbs of water, the cargo box on the front says maximum 100lbs can be stored in it, and the cargo capacity includes people in the trailer according to the manufacturer.

I did the math on that, and
Total gross weight Max is 3,250lbs – Trailer = 773 – water = 549 – my wife and my total weight = 119lbs.... This all seems ridiculous, thats 100lbs in the front box and 19lbs of things inside my trailer....

It seems to me that the way these things are made is pretty much cookie cutter... But what really throws me is the toy hauler is rated so incredibly different (And all they seemed to do is add weight to the front of the same trailer.... With a maximum of 4150lbs. They added 400lbs of deck to the front. Now while I do agree that could add a little structural integrity on a twisting frame and such.

By my math... if the gross max is 4150lbs, and you take that deck off it its 3750 lbs, My wife and I are not going to be in it while driving down the road so even if I take our weight off 3330 minus water and original vehicle weight. We end up with 619 ish... (Actually if you take my current trailers specs and adjust for my wife and I not being in the trailer during transport It totals in at 549 so My math works out to be about 60lbs different.)

Its seems to me it should be safe to add 48lbs of solar panels, 232lbs of batteries (Total 236lbs) and still have room for about 380lbs of items and food (Especially considering we are going to take out the Cassette Toilet and Microwave.)

Any other more experienced Jayco A-frame owners that can give input I would appreciate it.

2016 Jayco Jay Series Hardwall 12BSB
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade
BC Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

This is what shows on the Jayco website, you won't include passenger weight, only weight of items added to trailer so you should be fine adding up to 1180#. I have the 12HFD which has the toy hauler deck and has 1750# cargo capacity. The basic setup may look the similar but mine has a 6 inch box frame and I believe yours has a 4 inch c frame, this is what allows me almost 600# more capacity. Looking at what you want to add you should be fine.

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 2080
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 260
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 3250
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 1170
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote