Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #21
Site Team

Along the same subject of packing up wet, we carried some large sheets of plastic to cover the bed ends before closing it up. That kept the mattresses from soaking up water, until we could get home and open it back up.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #22

I wasn't paying attention to the finer details and rushed in somewhat on a 2014 Palomino Basecamp 8b. Quality, fit and finish are severely lacking on that model. All was resolved but, after a year of camping we also knew we needed more room so we upgraded to a barely used 2015 Jayco 1007UD. We are set for the next few years now
ajuett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #23

My grandfather worked on seismograph crews for an oil company after WWII. It wasn't long before they went with the crews from Texas to sites in Canada, Wyoming, and Montana. Money was slim and my grandparents hunted for daily food, even the early 50's. At some point they started camping out of a pickup and moved to trailers in the early 60s. My grandmother recorded all the costs for food, gas, supplies for all of those trips and I still have "The Book" that goes up to our last family trip in 1997. I was introduced to camping in 1976 as a two year old, in a hard side Mobile Scout. My grandfather passed away in 1988, so we didn't get to make a trip at all that year and soon after the Mobile Scout was sold because my grandmother had no interest in pulling it. Our next trip was in a tent for a week. We found that wasn't really something we wanted to pursue. A used Palomino Pinto pop-up was next. It didn't have more than beds, maybe a stove and a sink. I can't remember if it had a small ice box or not. We used that for two years before deciding to move up in the world. A winter trip to the RV show was planned for the purpose of looking at a new trailer to buy. We (I was still in high school) decided on a 1992 Jayco Cardinal SD. Sink, shower, toilet, refrigerator. A little convenience is always nice, right? We typically made full 14 day or more trips in the summer, so that convenience was welcomed. People started doing other things... my grandmother's sister and her family stopped going on our trips, mu uncle was not going anymore, my sister graduated high school in 1997 and I met a girl (who I would marry) in 1999. So, 1997 was our last trip in the popup. We did not sell it though, it was parked and something that just in the way on the driveway forever. My grandmother passed away in 2014 and we started the process of deciding who was going to take what and what needed to be sold. I went back and forth for awhile, but decided I wanted to take the trailer. I repacked the bearings after sitting since 1997, bought some new tires and moved it to my place this Monday. My kids have been bugging me to go camping, so hopefully we can so something next summer. There is a lot of work that needs to be done before we can go.

I am not sure what I wish I had known before my first pop-up. We just kinda fell into it due to necessity. Years of camping were already water under the bridge, so we just had something new to sleep in. Along with that, I learned a lot from how they always did things. I don't have fancy wheel chocks or levelers or anything. I have a pile of 2x lumber that I pull up on to level and I have been known to go out in the bushes and find big rocks to use as wheel chocks. There have been times that a trailer corner was too high for the stabilizer jack to reach the ground and I have used a rock for that too. We use a plastic gallon jug filled with water that we hang on a trip for a "sink". Punch a hole near the bottom and stick a golf tee in the hole as a "faucet". Put a bar of soap in a nylon knee high and tie that to the bottle. Nearly free easy handwashing station that I learned in cub scouts.

I doubt I will change much of the way we have always done things, the biggest challenge will be getting my wife and kids to do stuff the "right way".
5thGenTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #24

Packing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphGuy View Post
Hi, everyone. Just signed the papers for a new 2017 10SD after a long search to find a nice used model failed miserably. I've been camping my whole life, but it was always in a tent and for the past 10 years or so most of the trips were just me and the wife on a motorcycle. With a three year old running around, those days are done for a while and I'm pretty new to the pull behind camper scene.

Anything that you wish you had purchased early on, or tricks that you've picked up along the way to help a new popup camper owner?
Learn how to efficiently pack your camper. I didn't realize how important this was until I packed things I needed a lot in the dinette seats. This was not good.
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:10 AM   #25

I should have added what I wish I knew, know(?), where the heck the gray water tank is and where it drains. I've found two pipes that could be it but neither drain a lot even after I run the water to fill up the tank to see. Are there two in my 12HW (2006 Select) or what? How do I know the white water tank if full? Is there an overflow pipe. All this under the trailer stuff is still a mystery to me. I'd really like to know before I need to empty it. This probably is the wrong place to post this... sorry.
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Old 05-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #26

I read this thread and notices several people didn't like or use their hot water heater??? That was the biggest reason we chose the 12 over the 10 (2017 12UD) We have a shower enclosure and use the outside shower most times. We have been out for 6 days ( 5 nights) left the hot water heater on the whole time, coocked on the outdoor stove at least once a day and did not kill one tank of propane. The place I get my propane charges by the gallon ( currently price is about $3.25/gallon) so I can top up before we hit the road. I did't even bring a 2nd tank with me this trip. We do use a small electric heater as oposed to the gas furnace.. which works great in real cold weather, only used it once so far.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in NC View Post
... We have a shower enclosure and use the outside shower most times. We have been out for 6 days ( 5 nights) left the hot water heater on the whole time,...
If my hot water heater worked I'd use it. Thanks for info on use of propane with doing so.
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Old 05-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #28

Forget the fire extinguisher that came with your unit. Buy a good quality ABC fire extinguisher. If you never use it, it's wasted money. The day you need it, it's priceless.

I've camped for 59 years. 58 of those years, we haven't needed a fire extinguisher. The other year, my father used one two times. Both times for other campers.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote