Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #11
A fully charged battery will not freeze until it gets below -70F!
But, what will kill your battery: 1) low acid level, especially for a long period or 2) having it discharge over the winter or 3) Improper charging over the winter. Good batteries do slowly self-discharge, but that rate goes way down the colder it gets. A healthy battery should never come near full discharge over a northern winter.
Check the water levels, charge it fully, disconnect all connections on one terminal, and don't think about it until next spring!
Unloading/loading or improper over-winter charging will cause more problems (to your back, or your battery) than just leaving it alone ever will. If it's dead next year, it was going bad before you put it into storage!

2012 Ford F-150 Eco, Max/Max
Jayco 26.5 RLS, Reese Sidewinder
Flapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #12
I live in the North where the ground can freeze up to 7'. I remove my battery and charge it up in the garage then top up the cells with distilled water then charge again till it has a full charge. I will put the charger on periodically through the winter to top up the charge. By spring it is ready to go back in the TT. Never left a battery in the basement and will never charge one in the house either.

2014 Jayco Whithawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 SCREW 5.0 XLT XTR Off Road package, 3.73 EL, tow package, Peragon retractable cover.
DJL1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:07 PM   #13
Our pup battery gave up the ghost this past summer after 7 years of good service. I removed it every year, mostly storing it on the concrete garage floor until I read a pretty convincing article that it could shorten the battery life. I started taking the case off the frame with the battery and storing it on a shelf, but still in the unheated garage. We are in Eastern Ontario, so outside temps often go down as far -40F/C, but our garage shares 3 walls with heated space and has an insulated door, so it doesn't get too far into the freezing temps.

I place the battery on a trickle charger come spring, and it may take a few days to hit full charge. Now, is 7 years sufficient life for a battery? I wasn't disappointed...

2011 Jayco X19H (purchased 2015)
2008 Jayco 1007 PUP (purchased new, traded for the X19)
2012 Chev Traverse LT with TP
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote