Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Dicor Roof Coating

Has anyone installed Dicor on their rubber roof? I have a 2010 Jayfeather.Most of the white coating has worn off.I live in Fl.Keys and the sun has beat it to death.I guess? I bought the unit used,it has NEVER been fully covered from UV rays.I do put a great fiberglass wax on it,but intend to totally cover,AFTER I renew the roof coat.Problem is,I bought the 2 galons of Dicor I was tod I'd need.There is a very strict cleaning /primer process.Reading the instructions tells me to SPRAY the cleaner/primer down and powerwash it off.BUT it also warns of not getting this stuff on sides of unit.That I find to be a heck of a task,especially when blowing this stuff off with a 2500 psi powrwasher.Needless to say,the new coating has been sitting due to my concern.I would love to hear from anyone that has done this process .Perhaps the warnings are more of a insurance for Dicor.I cant see how a Cleaner that will be powerwashed off after a setting period would be that harse .At this point ,Im thinking of masking and wraping the rig in plastic,but just how far do I NEED to go here.Thanks for a reply. Mike
mikesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #2

I have applied the Dicor roof product on my previous TT (not a Jayco). Mine had lost a fair amount of the white coating as well. The place I purchased it told me to simply wash it with dawn dish detergent before applying the Dicor product. No power washer needed. I can't remember whether I purchased the Dicor at Camping World or at the Jayco dealer across the street from where I store my camper. Anyways, I did as they told me and the applied the Dicor. It worked fine and looked almost new. That was about 3 or 4 years ago, and this summer I traded the unit in on my Jayco. This is just my experience, I am by no means a RV tech or anything near one. Hopefully someone else can chime in as well.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:03 AM   #3

Have you seen the adds for the company that does the spray on liner on truck beds? They have tweaked their product and now spray it on RV roofs. Lifetime warranty. Comes in multiple colors. They spray on a adherent than spray on the liner. It has aluminum added to it. Looks sharp. The fall issue of RV mag has a article on it and shows a camper being sprayed in San Diego. Somethinnng I might consider if it's not too expensive.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #4

I'd wash/wax the sides then clean the roof. the wax should repel any harsh cleaners.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #5

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Harsh cleaners will strip the was off of the side of the unit and still cause streaking. I think if it were me I would use cheap plastic painters drop cloths taped to the sides just under the gutters. This would minimize the exposure of the side walls to the water being washed off the roof. I would also think that using a 2500 psi pressure washer would damage the roof if not very careful. I would bet you could do and effective job with half that pressure.

I would do what the Kracker Jack man suggests.
Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #6

Thanks ,I was concerned about the powerwash as well.Think I'll do a lite scrub with a fiber pad on mop,and follow directions.Definatly will get the plastic too.Just can't imagine a product made that will damage the unit should it spill over.Thanks again. Mike
mikesea is offline   Reply With Quote