Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #1

Switching to a digital thermostat

I would like to switch out the analog Coleman-Mach thermostat in my camper to a digital one to narrow the activity range. I switched out the one in the house a number of years ago and it took all of about 15 min. I was getting ready to buy one when I noticed they don't have a high/low fan switch. Is there a way around this or do I have to order the RV thermostat, and is it as easy to replace, matching wire to wire. And where to buy it. Did I ask enough questions? :confused. Sorry if this a re-post.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes,
Just match the wires. There's a few threads on this.
Not sure about H/L fan options. I've never seen it on a house Thermostat.
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Many folks just wired their Digital Thermostat to the High Fan circuit only because there is little difference between the H/L output, maybe a little quieter.

You can add a switch to accommodate the H/L function, or purchase a Digital thermostat with a built-in H/L switch (refer to post #24 in the following link): http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...rmostat+wiring

Another good reference: http://www.rverscorner.com/hunterstat.htm

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

I installed this digital thermostat in 10 minutes and it works great. Wire for wire.

http://www.rvplus.com/coleman-digita...ampaign=spring

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #5

Thanks LBF, I looked at that same unit online after the post. That seems the way to go.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #6

Bought this model but our analog is #7330*335 and the digital says it replaces 8330*336 337 338 339 386. Could we still use it or find a different replacement model?
ClintMyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #7

Clint, I believe you have the correct thermostat. The Coleman-Mach #8330-3362 replaces the analog #7330G335. I just received mine from Amazon today. Looks like it matches up wire to wire. $59.99 with free shipping. Should be an easy install, but I won't know if it works until spring unless I want to fire up the furnace. I lived in Seattle for 5 years, loved to go to Moses Lake where it was warm!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #8

I own a Jayco hybrid TT that has the mechanical thermo..... Can I replace it with a digital one, like the Coleman? It controls heat only, no air as I have the roof mounted A/C. Also, it just has the one fan speed, as far as I know.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #9

TCNASHVILLE,
I installed the same thermostat (Coleman Digital Heat/Cool Thermostat (u) 8330-3362)
in my 2013 26 BH. It matched wire for wire just like you said and has the ability to use both the high and low fan. I have had no problems or regrets installing mine.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
I own a Jayco hybrid TT that has the mechanical thermo..... Can I replace it with a digital one, like the Coleman? It controls heat only, no air as I have the roof mounted A/C. Also, it just has the one fan speed, as far as I know.

I easily installed the Digital Coleman Thermostat mentioned here in my current Jayco 298RLDS. I would assume you could use the same one and just hook up the necessary heat wires and ignore the AC set up. A bit pricey though. In another trailer I have, I installed a Honeywell Digital Non Programming Thermostat that I bought at Home Depot for about $20's. It was a 2 wire hookup for the heat only. Worked great.

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/P...e/PRO+3000.htm

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #11

I know this is old thread, but hoping someone might still jump in. Does the Coleman Mach digital model allow the fan of the a/c to run all the time, even when the furnace or heat mode is on? We like to run the a/c fan all the time at night for white noise, even if we have the furnace on. The analog Coleman Mach that came on our 2016 28BHBE doesn't allow that to happen if it is in heat mode. So I'd like to swap it out, and the digital Colman Mach looks like the easiest option, but I don't want to end up with that same issue.
luv2drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2drum View Post
Does the Coleman Mach digital model allow the fan of the a/c to run all the time, even when the furnace or heat mode is on? We like to run the a/c fan all the time at night for white noise, even if we have the furnace on.
Nope. There was a post where somebody added another switch to do just that however. Hopefully they'll jump in soon.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2drum View Post
Does the Coleman Mach digital model allow the fan of the a/c to run all the time, even when the furnace or heat mode is on?
The Coleman Mach digital thermostat is a good thermostat, accurate and easy to install but would not allow you to run the A/C fan without the air conditioner being on.

However, a little custom wiring could make this happen. On this forum in the manuals section is a file showing the wiring of Coleman (Airexcel) thermostats. My non-professional reading of that information tells me that if the red wire is connected to the gray wire (through a switch) you could run the heater (using the thermostat) and the A/C fan by itself through a special switch. You could use any sort of switch you want to - one that matches what you have now in your trailer, or even a regular 115 volt light switch (note: the switch will only be turning on or off 12v DC current from the red wire to the gray wire, making the low A/C fan blow)

If anyone who is expert in this area has another thought, please add to or correct my idea (that might have been borrowed from someone else)
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #14

The one digit difference in the part number is the difference between the black and white color thermostats.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #15

glsimms If you still looking to change tour stat, the Honeywell pro 3000 works great and is a snap to install.