Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

30amp to 50amp hook up??

Jayco recommends that you not hook-up a 30 amp to a 50amp box, yet the dealers all offer various "cheaters". Just curious as I have done this hook-up out of need quite a few times with no problems.

Joe
Joe Garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #2

CG power boxes that I've seen that have 50 amp service also provide the 30 amp plug-in. I personally don't know if there is a dog bone adapter that will take you from your 30 amp up to 50 amp. I have an adapter that will go down from my 50 amps to 30 when 50 amp plug-ins are not available. Others here will most likely know.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Garland View Post
Jayco recommends that you not hook-up a 30 amp to a 50amp box, yet the dealers all offer various "cheaters". Just curious as I have done this hook-up out of need quite a few times with no problems.

Joe
I'm curious too??

Why would you want to do that if your rig is 30amp?

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #4

When we had our Eagle 5th Wheel, it was 30 Amp power.
Anytime we had a 50 Amp Pedistal we always used the 50 Amp plug and a 50 Amp to 30 Amp adaptor.
When using the 50 Amp Power connection we always had less issues due to many of the 30 Amp Pedistal Plugs were in bad shape from being overloaded and the plug would not plug into the Pedistal Plugs blades very tight.
We always had better, more consistant voltage with more reliable power when using the 50 Plug and the adaptor to 30 Amp.

On our Pinnacle we have had to hook our 50 Amp plug up to 30 Amp Pedistal with a adaptor in a pinch, but wow you really have to watch the usage or you will trip the 30 Amp breaker in the Pedistal quickly.
Trust me, my wife is a "50 Amp Queen"
The 30 Amp only has one 30 amp feed where the 50 Amp has two 50 Amp feeds that are split in the Circuit Panel.
Our Front A/C runs on one one 50 Amp Leg, Our Rear A/C runs on the other 50 Amp Leg, our Washing Machine runs on one 50 Amp Leg, out Dryer runs on the other 50 Amp Leg and so on.
All the high loads are split up so half are on one 50 Amp Leg an the rest of the high loads are on the other 50 Amp Leg.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
Anytime we had a 50 Amp Pedistal we always used the 50 Amp plug and a 50 Amp to 30 Amp adaptor.
When using the 50 Amp Power connection we always had less issues due to many of the 30 Amp Pedistal Plugs were in bad shape from being overloaded and the plug would not plug into the Pedistal Plugs blades very tight.
We always had better, more consistant voltage with more reliable power when using the 50 Plug and the adaptor to 30 Amp.
Good to know! we have a dogbone 30 to 50 amp adaptor. We might just try that
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #6

My rig is a 30amp hook up, I have it parked in a 50' covered shed that was set up for a 50amp bus. The summers here are hot so I like to run the A/C when we are packing up for a trip I purchased a 30 to 50 amp adaptor from the dealer and have had no problems, but I was concerned when I was reading the Jayco manuel and they said not to use this set up.

Thanks, Joe
Old 07-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Garland View Post
My rig is a 30amp hook up, I have it parked in a 50' covered shed that was set up for a 50amp bus. The summers here are hot so I like to run the A/C when we are packing up for a trip I purchased a 30 to 50 amp adaptor from the dealer and have had no problems, but I was concerned when I was reading the Jayco manuel and they said not to use this set up.

Thanks, Joe
The Breakers in the RV protect the power cord and the RV, if there is too much load on the 30 Amp cord the 30 Amp circuit breaker in the RV will trip.
I think the note in the manual if just a "CYA" statement for Jayco !!!!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
Ahh.........

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #9

Thanks Rob and the rest of you good folks. In this day and time you have to CYA. Glad Pat and I were able to retire a long time agofrom the rat race. In my day a hand shake and honesty worked well!!

Best To You,

Joe
Old 07-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #10

There is actual is reason why not to connect to a 50 amp circuit. Your shore cable is rated for 30 amps (8 gauge). If you connect to a 50 amp breaker you are no longer adequately protected. If the cable or a connector has an issue somewhere between the pedestal and the 30 amp internal breaker you could cause a fire. It is just like going into your house and changing a 15 amp breaker out with a 20 amp breaker and not upgrading the wire. See the thread that was recently posted “Upgrade 15amp breaker to 20amp

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #11

There has been several misconceptions posted in this thread. I will attempt to challenge a few.

1. Jayco's recommendation to not use a 50 amp receptacle most likely comes from their lawyers. There is no safety issue involved.

2. Using the 50 amp receptacle with a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone is proper if the 30 amp receptacle is worn to the point the connection is poor.

3. Using the 50 amp receptacle does not alter your protection. Your RV still has the 30 amp main breaker for protection.

4. Using a 30 amp to 50 amp dogbone to connect your 50 amp RV to a 30 amp receptacle will allow everything in your RV to work except anything that required 220 volts. And you will be limited to 30 amps total.

5. Using the 50 amp receptacle for better voltage because you believe everyone else is using the 30 amp receptacles is not a valid idea. Campgrounds lay out their circuits such that all pedestals that have a 50 amp/220V receptacle will place the 30 amp/110V receptacle on one leg of the 220 volt circuit. The next site will have its 30 amp receptacle on the other leg. Thereby equalizing the load throughout the park.

I hope this helps with some understanding the issue with 30/50 amp adapters and their usage.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post

4. Using a 30 amp to 50 amp dogbone to connect your 50 amp RV to a 30 amp receptacle will allow everything in your RV to work except anything that required 220 volts. And you will be limited to 30 amps total.

I don't have a 5er, but I do have another vehicle that has a 220 connection. Not sure how yours are wired, but since it is actually 2 110 circuits, several of my outlets and appliances are split between the legs....for instance it has 2 ac units - one on each leg. I would assume at least the ac units are the same for those folks with dual ac.

Anyway - if you have a 50 amp connection and you think you will ever camp on a 30....I would test it out before you get a surprise when you actually hook up....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #13

Tnchuck100; I will agree with you on everything except points 2& 3; unless the dogbone has a 30 amp breaker in it.

I’m probably not going to explain it as I could, but as an engineer, I would NEVER allow one of my machines that I design and build to be wired with a 50 amp breaker unless the power feed (wire) be of the correct gauge. Wire (aka power feed) length has a lot to do with what gauge wire is required for the application. The power feed on my trailer appears to be about 16 feet which requires an 8 gauge stranded wire or greater. 4 gauge wire is required for a 16 foot power feed at 50 amps. Just because you have a 30 amp breaker downstream does not mean you are properly protected between the pedestal and the internal breaker. You can still melt the insulation on the 8 gauge wire cable and not blow either breaker. My power feed cable is shoved into a small wood box, deep inside a wall cavity, you would never know if there was an issue in there until it is too late.

With that said, get a dogbone with a 30 amp breaker in it, or make one.
Attached Thumbnails
wiringdiagram.jpg  

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:59 AM   #14

Jaygiven, from an engineering/theoretical perspective you may be right. My comments are based on practical, real life issues.

I will clarify one thing first. This thread was started based on a 30 amp RV. That is what my comments refer to.

Justification for #2: It is better to have a GOOD, POSITIVE 50 amp receptacle connection than a POOR, OVERHEATING 30 amp one. Getting a new site or pedestal is seldom an viable option. I have never seen anyone with a breaker equipped dogbone.

Justification for #3: The 30 amp breaker in the RV still protects your RV. Your wire size does not need to be increased simply because the supply capacity has increased. You are STILL limited to 30 amps by the RV breaker. The breakers at the pedestal are there to protect the park equipment not your RV.

The odds of having a problem between the pedestal and the RV breaker (the cable itself) is extremely remote. Assuming the cable is not damaged in some way. Even if the cable did fault the 50 amp breaker at the pedestal would still trip.

I, too, have a background in electrical.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #15

Chuck , Double thanks for the explanation, even I understand this info.

Good luck to all!

Joe
Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #16

On my last TT , which I had stored and used at the same campground for almost 8 years, I had to replace the 30 amp male end that goes into the cg breaker box. The prongs had been burnt. I assume this was a result of the cg breaker box. Guess it might be overheating as Chuck stated. I replaced it several years ago and replaced it again before I traded it in. I never used a dogbone on it, but a salesman at camping world told me I should. I wish I knew who was correct here, because I think the dogbone would help protect my 30 amp male end.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
..... I wish I knew who was correct here, because I think the dogbone would help protect my 30 amp male end.
Look at it this way if a dogbone was inherently unsafe the lawyers for the corporations that manufacture and sell them would not let their client market them.

I'll re-state there is theory and there is practical application. Just don't try to jury-rig electric stuff. Use the adapters for what they are designed to do and you should have no problem.

Hope this helps the wary.