Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #1

Need to raise 5th wheel for TV rail Clearance

I need to raise my Jayco Designer 5th Wheel about 2 inches. The underbelly of the front overhang has hit the Bed Rails on my truck and has but a small dent and scratch on the trailer. Can I raise the 5th wheel by putting the springs in the last hole on the spring hangers. They are in the first hole from the top next to the frame. I don't want to flip the axles unless I have to. I have searched the forum but no one seems to know if putting the springs in the 3 rd hole will raise the 5th wheel and if you can do it.. any help appreciated.
Mel
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #2

I have a 4wd short bed F350 which I got before I bought my Eagle. My dealer ordered it with the springs in the lowest position. I have plenty of clearance thanks to his foresight. The only downside is that on some sites we need an extra step as the bottom step is too high. The short answer is.......yes you can.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzwiss View Post
I have a 4wd short bed F350 which I got before I bought my Eagle. My dealer ordered it with the springs in the lowest position. I have plenty of clearance thanks to his foresight. The only downside is that on some sites we need an extra step as the bottom step is too high. The short answer is.......yes you can.
Thank You for the info. Now I have to get some new wet bolts and bushings before I do it.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHbell View Post
I need to raise my Jayco Designer 5th Wheel about 2 inches. The underbelly of the front overhang has hit the Bed Rails on my truck and has but a small dent and scratch on the trailer. Can I raise the 5th wheel by putting the springs in the last hole on the spring hangers. They are in the first hole from the top next to the frame. I don't want to flip the axles unless I have to. I have searched the forum but no one seems to know if putting the springs in the 3 rd hole will raise the 5th wheel and if you can do it.. any help appreciated.
Mel
I also needed to raise the fiver for more clearance- Jayco recommended to use the middle set of holes and not use the bottom holes- After moving the axles to the recommended holes, we decided the clearance still was inadequate and had the axles flipped- Now we have the desired clearance- How much clearance do you have to begin with? At least 6 inches is needed to give sufficient clearance- I did the wet bolt and Dexter EZ Flex suspension upgrade also- An expense well worth every cent!- JMHO- DD
Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #5

We rased ours up when we went from 15" wheels to 16's. Ours was also in the top hole we just moved ours down to the bottom of the three holes. Then when you are hooked up to your truck on level ground then get a measuring tap and measure from the ground to the frame on the front and back of the camper. The front shoud be about an inch higher than the back. If the front is low you will also need to adjust your kingpin hitch down.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #6

Regardless of what you do at the rear of the trailer by modifying your suspension set up, to get more clearance at the front you have to drop your pin. Do to the length of the trailer, what you do at the back does not effect very much how high the front is.

Is your trailer, as it is set up now, nose low, level, or nose high? If your trailer is either nose low or level, you could consider just dropping your pin down a set of holes, thus raising the front and giving you increased clearance.

If you have to raise the rear suspension in order to keep your trailer fairly level after you drop your pin, my personal not educated not a mechanic opinion is that it's better to flip the axles rather than to go down a set of spring hanger holes. When you go down a set of holes, the lever arm of the hangers is longer thus putting more stress on the hangers; flipping the axles does not cause this issue.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Regardless of what you do at the rear of the trailer by modifying your suspension set up, to get more clearance at the front you have to drop your pin. Do to the length of the trailer, what you do at the back does not effect very much how high the front is.

Is your trailer, as it is set up now, nose low, level, or nose high? If your trailer is either nose low or level, you could consider just dropping your pin down a set of holes, thus raising the front and giving you increased clearance.

If you have to raise the rear suspension in order to keep your trailer fairly level after you drop your pin, my personal not educated not a mechanic opinion is that it's better to flip the axles rather than to go down a set of spring hanger holes. When you go down a set of holes, the lever arm of the hangers is longer thus putting more stress on the hangers; flipping the axles does not cause this issue.
My Trailer is level right now. But I have a roll up tonnneau cover and the rails are only 4 1/2 inch from the belly of the 5th wheel overhang. The sharp edge of the rail has already gouged a piece out of the metal on the belly I put a 4 inch patch to cover it. I can drop the king pin or raise the hitch in the bed of the truck, but would like to have the truck and trailer level when done. that is why I want to raise the back about 2 inches, Flipping the axles will raise the back 4 + inches I have been told. Moving the springs down to the middle hole should give me about 2 inches and Moving the King pin down 1 bolt hole should give me about 2 inches so I would then have 6 1/2 inches between the Rails and the belly of the 5th wheel and the truck and 5th wheel would set level. Like it does now. I have air bags on the truck and with 30 lbs it brings the back of the truck up to be level. Another reason I don't want to have the Axles flipped unless I have no choice, is because I just had the axle alignment checked and set when a spring was replaced on the front axle.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #8

Your plan certainly makes sense. I've got 6 inches clearance but still made a scrape and an uh-oh.

The problems I've had are at driveways that have a big dip.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Your plan certainly makes sense. I've got 6 inches clearance but still made a scrape and an uh-oh.

The problems I've had are at driveways that have a big dip.
I dropped the King Pin down in the pin box, 1 bolt hole today. Will hook up the truck and see what I got. If I have the clearance and the trailer is level front and rear. I will be good to go. If not I will move the springs down 1 bolt hole in the hangers. which would make me level with the front of the trailer. I will inspect the the spring bushings at that time and replace with a wet bolt kit if needed.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHbell View Post
I dropped the King Pin down in the pin box, 1 bolt hole today. Will hook up the truck and see what I got. If I have the clearance and the trailer is level front and rear. I will be good to go. If not I will move the springs down 1 bolt hole in the hangers. which would make me level with the front of the trailer. I will inspect the the spring bushings at that time and replace with a wet bolt kit if needed.
I dropped the king pin down one bolt hole and could still get all 6 bolts in. I was not satisfied with the clearance. I could drop the king pin down another bolt hole, but would only be able to use 4 of the 6 bolts that secure it. So I raised my hitch up to the last bolt holes. it is a reese 15K Pro slider with square tubes. That gave me enough clearance. I know have 7 1/2 inches from rails to the belly 5th wheel. I then went to the axles and moved the springs down 1 bolt hole. I am in the center hole. I only got one side down today and will do the other side tomorrow. BTW there were no plastic bushings in the springs and the shackles were not worn nor the bolt holes egg shaped where the springs hooked to the hangers and the center piece that both springs hook to were not wore. It says dexter on it and the axles. The pin box and kingpin is Mor ryde will measure the frame to ground front and rear when I get the other side done tomorrow. If it is within limits I will be good to go.
Mel