Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

Rv Covers

I would be interested in anyone's thoughts pro and con on RV covers.
jameshil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #2

RV Covers

I never used one on my Designer, but did consider it at one time. My problem would be that I store the camper 300 miles from home and would worry about it blowing off and annoying the local people that live and work in the area. I have had it stored outside for 2 years now and never covered it, and have had no problems as of yet. I'm pretty touchy about maintenance and winterizing procedures though. In the spring I always take a weekend and go there to de-winterize prior to our 1st camping trip. Speeds up the process when I'm ready to kick back.
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #3

I live in Minnesota and my trailer sits outside year around. I considered a cover the first winter we had the trailer, but also heard some stories about moisture, mildew, covers tear in the corners, rubs the finish on the TT, major pain to put on and take off. You will most often need two people to put it on and take it off. If you do it by yourself, you will spend a lot of time climbing up and down.
After two complete winters, coming up on three now, we have no problems without a cover. I normally give a good wash/wax before I put it away for the winter then when it comes time to clean it before our first trip in spring, it's easier to clean off the black streaks and it looks just like it did when it was new.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #4

They are some nice covers on the market today. I would not use one but that is just me, I have always stored my trailers inside. I am building a new garage for my fiver right now. I would worry about a cover rubbing the roof and sides to much. I have no information that supports the claim that a cover would rub these areas, I just think it would.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #5

5th Wheel Covers

We have a 05 Designer and considered a cover off and on until this year, and then bought a Sunbrella from Calmark. The cover breaths and it's overall design and installation recommendations give good protection against the very legitimate concerns addressed here by others. Hoisting the 60 pound cover on to the roof is a bit sporty, but rolling it out back to front and then dropping it over the sides is pretty easy. Placing foam peaces over sharp objects before you put the cover on is easy enough, and securing the Calmark cover to prevent wind damage is easy enough because they fabricate it to fit your trailer. With their design, I am not concerned about wind damage, and since it is waterproof and it breaths mildew is not an issue either. Especially if you cover the unit when it is dry. Talk to Doug Davis at Calmark if you feel it might be worth you time. He designed the cover, and you will find him most helpful. I am not selling him or the product, and I give you the info I have just to save you going in blind. You can tell him that the Fullers in Federal Way gave you the info, and no, we do not get a pay off. LOL

Doug Davis
The CalMark Cover Team
Leaders in RV Protection
calmarkcover-dougd@verizon.net
Toll Free: 800-838-7236
(or) 805-486-3863 (California)
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #6

We got our Jayfeather 29N a couple of years ago, and. like you were trying to decide whether to cover or not. In our area of coastal New Jersey, we have always covered our boat in the off season, and it seems to really help keep it looking good. We decided to try a cheap cover. During the last blizzard, the wind tore it to shreds. The good news is we are going to hook up the trailer and head to Florida on Friday, so now we don't have to worry about taking it off!

Bottom line is that we have been happy with the cover (except for the quality). We put the trailer away sparkly clean, and when the cover comes off, it looks exactly the same and is ready to go - no black streaks, leaks, or whatever. We have had not indication of scratches or wear from the cover. It is not too big of deal to put off and on if you have two people - maybe ten minutes to get off, and 15 minutes to put on.

Part of the decision is how you will use the trailer. We tend to take three or four long (week or more) trips a year, and the rest of the time - summer and winter - it is covered up. If we were using it every weekend or so, it would be a real pain.

Roadrunner - we are glad to hear that the Calmark cover is working out. Our research indicated that it was probably the best option for a new cover. We have the measuring kit, and will fill out the paper work when we are in Florida!
2018 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.2 gas
Bailey (Std. Poodle 12 yrs) and Zeke (PartiPoodle 6 yrs)
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #7

My sister uses a cover on her's, replaces it once a year. I thought about using one on mine, but have been hesitant since the rubber roof is attached about 3" down on the side. My thought is it might not be a good thing as it will rub on the rubber roof on the corners.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #8

RV cover?

Hello,

I have a new 2011 26BH. I live outside Chicago. I was planning on keeping the camper in my backyard during the winter.
Are RV covers worth it? I don't want one to rub the finish off the RV. Or should I just clean the RV and wax it?
AMC_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #9

I haven't used one, and I am looking forward to the opinions here. I park my RV under some trees and cleaning it up in the spring is usually a chore. I too am considering a cover.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #10

I have used a ADCO Tyvek cover for 3 years on last Trailer and liked it. Its a little hard to put one at least the first time but after that i did it all by my self as DW dosnt like ladders and the good thing is sides of trailer look just as good as when put away for winter. Where befor there was a lot of clean up in the spring. Will be getting a new cover for the new trailer this fall just hope they are on sale at Camping World befor I need it.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #11

have used ADCO covers for several years. They hold up pretty good and camper looks great when its removed. I havent had any problems with finish of camper being hurt. Just make sure to pad any sharp edges or it will cause a hole or tear.
Cole 28r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #12

We have to park ours under hardwood trees and there are many pines close by, therefore a cover is mandatory if we want to keep our tt free from pitch and stains. Our 19H has corner downspouts on which I stick tennis balls to keep from tearing the cover. Yes it's a pain to put on but I think the benifits are worth it.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #13

Why put one on? RV's are made to sit outside.. do you cover your house when you are away from it? They are just a way to separate you from your cash..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #14

I would think it depends on where you live. In Arizona, the sun tears anything up, even house paint. I plan on getting one for mine, but I also plan on keeping for quite a few years as well. Personal preference is probably the rule of thumb here. Good luck in your decision.
Partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
We have to park ours under hardwood trees and there are many pines close by, therefore a cover is mandatory if we want to keep our tt free from pitch and stains. Our 19H has corner downspouts on which I stick tennis balls to keep from tearing the cover. Yes it's a pain to put on but I think the benifits are worth it.
We don't need a cover where we live, but I know the corner downspouts were a concern for folks wanting one. What a great idea using the tennis ball to protect the cover from it
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote