Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #1

2011 Toyota Highlander & 2013 184BH - WDH? Sway Control?

Alright... I'm incredibley confused! I just purchased my first ever Travel Trailer and should be picking it up in the next week or two and am entirley unsure of what my setup should look like... Specifically when it comes to the WDH & Sway Control.

184BH
2011 Toyota Highlander (Tow Package, V6, up to 5000LB tow, 500LB tongue weight)

So far, I have the OEM hitch with a 4 pin (going to be converted to a 7 pin with brake controller this week) and nothing more.

I've been going back and forth over dozens of forums searching and trying to understand what type of WDH should I be using (brand and spec) along with Sway control...

I honestly can't find a straight answer so I'm making up my mind, I want a WDH but I don't know which one to choose. Is the Resse 600/6000 overkill for my setup? Would it be effective?

Teach me!
Synapxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #2

Synapxe,
In my opinion, nothing is overkill when it comes to a WDH and sway control. Safety is key in everything, especially when towing all your gear and precious cargo (family).

Is your Highlander FWD or AWD? If it is FWD, I would not attempt to tow without a WDH. Although, I still suggest it with the AWD model. Dry hitch weight is 305 on the 184BH, but you will never be that low. As soon as you add your gear to it, that number goes up quickly. Now as far as the Reese brand WDH is concerned, I am not too sure how adjustable it is, since I used a different brand when I had my bumper pull unit. If it were me personally, I would go for it. Can't go wrong with Reese, Husky, Equal-i-zer....all respected brands. Just remember to keep an eye on your total weights and the limitations of your tow vehicle, and the 600/6000 should suit you just fine.

Welcome to the Jayco family, and don't forget to post pictures once your unit comes in.
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My friend has a Highlander and just came over last week to see if she could pull our 165 Sport.
TT has about 400lbs tongue, 3500lb GVWR
It squatted the back of her Highlander about 2", 1/2" in the front.
I recommended the 600/6000 Equalizer E2 to her after checking with Toyota.
The Toyota Nation Highlander Forum has a copy of a letter from Toyota not recommending a WDH with the Highlander because
of the uni-body frame. It's built on a Camry frame.
Just check with Toyota, but you may be good with a light tongue weight.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaynard View Post
Synapxe,
In my opinion, nothing is overkill when it comes to a WDH and sway control. Safety is key in everything, especially when towing all your gear and precious cargo (family).

Is your Highlander FWD or AWD? If it is FWD, I would not attempt to tow without a WDH. Although, I still suggest it with the AWD model. Dry hitch weight is 305 on the 184BH, but you will never be that low. As soon as you add your gear to it, that number goes up quickly. Now as far as the Reese brand WDH is concerned, I am not too sure how adjustable it is, since I used a different brand when I had my bumper pull unit. If it were me personally, I would go for it. Can't go wrong with Reese, Husky, Equal-i-zer....all respected brands. Just remember to keep an eye on your total weights and the limitations of your tow vehicle, and the 600/6000 should suit you just fine.

Welcome to the Jayco family, and don't forget to post pictures once your unit comes in.
Thank for the advice! It's AWD. This is where I'm confused, the 600/6000 - I'm told by the dealer that if the tongue weight is too little then the 600/6000 is not effective as it needs more. Any truth here?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
My friend has a Highlander and just came over last week to see if she could pull our 165 Sport.
TT has about 400lbs tongue, 3500lb GVWR
It squatted the back of her Highlander about 2", 1/2" in the front.
I recommended the 600/6000 Equalizer E2 to her after checking with Toyota.
The Toyota Nation Highlander Forum has a copy of a letter from Toyota not recommending a WDH with the Highlander because
of the uni-body frame. It's built on a Camry frame.
Just check with Toyota, but you may be good with a light tongue weight.

Doug
The 08+Highlander is in fact a unibody but built on the Sienna. Toyota is mixed in opinion depending on who you talk to about WDH, they are inconsistent at best.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapxe View Post
Thank for the advice! It's AWD. This is where I'm confused, the 600/6000 - I'm told by the dealer that if the tongue weight is too little then the 600/6000 is not effective as it needs more. Any truth here?
See Picture - "Choosing a WDH for your Vehicle"...(from e-trailer.com)

Click image for larger version

Name:	WDH Tongue Rating.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	7238

Or follow the link below....

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote