Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #1

Water pump problem

Filled my fresh water tank for the first time to sanitize it. Filled it, turned on the pump for the first time and gave it plenty of time to pump up to the 45# pressure stated in the Jayco manual. But after a half hour it was still pumping away and water only dribbled out between spurts of air in the line. It just couldn't run enough water to purge the air. Does anyone have an idea of the problem? I can't imagine that the pump was faulty to begin with, but what else could it be?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #2

i found when i bought mine a couple months back the Jayco guy that un-winterized it left the plug out of the hot water heater.. any water hitting the ground?
LarryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Put the water valves in the "normal" position for the pump. Move them back to "city water" when you have an external water supply.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Put the water valves in the "normal" position for the pump. Move them back to "city water" when you have an external water supply.
Oh-oh. I didn't know there were water valves other than on the hot water bypass system. Where are they? I didn't see mention of them in the manual when I was looking under fresh water s ystem. I did see diagrams of a single external low point valve, but I have two of them, and reference to a pair of low point internal valves that I don't see in my trailer. And the photo of the single valve inside is what I have a pair of on the underside. Not sure I can rely on the manual. But I don't think those have anything to do with what valves you are talking about.
'14 Denali XL
Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Site Team

These valves are in the utility hatch on the opposite door side of the rig, where the city water is connected. There is a diagram and instructions indicating where to place the valves.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
These valves are in the utility hatch on the opposite door side of the rig, where the city water is connected. There is a diagram and instructions indicating where to place the valves.
My eagle is a TT. It doesn't have that hatch but I think I'll find them. Thanks.
'14 Denali XL
Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #7

My pump came with strainer on the suction side that attaches to the side of the pump. My pump was fine for a while, and then just spit out water occasionally, with a very low flow. The cause, after much trauma on my part, was a missing o-ring in the strainer housing, allowing the pump to suck a bit of air through the strainer. The missing o-ring fits into the black plastic base of the strainer, and the clear part of the strainer housing has a lip that compresses on the o-ring.

Maybe not your problem, but if it is it is an easy fix.

Your pump is acting like mine was - it sure sounds to me like your system is sucking air from somewhere into the pump. Maybe the strainer issue, maybe a loose clamp, or a loose fitting into the bottom of your fresh water tank - or a small hole in the suction line, somewhere.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #8

Some models have a cut off for to the tank that allows you to siphon RV anti-freeze into the system to winterize it. It should be located right at the pump. I would test using just the cold water closet to the pump, it should take just a few seconds for it to draw up the water from the tank and should make a noticeable change in sound.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #9
Site Team

Sorry if I am confusing you with my reply above. I am explaining how my fifth wheel Eagle works. Tour problem still seems like a valve open incorrectly somewhere but I understand that TT's do not have the same valve setup.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Some models have a cut off for to the tank that allows you to siphon RV anti-freeze into the system to winterize it. It should be located right at the pump. I would test using just the cold water closet to the pump, it should take just a few seconds for it to draw up the water from the tank and should make a noticeable change in sound.
My 5th has this also. Find the water pump on the inlet side there is a valve to choose either water tank or the siphon hose.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
My 5th has this also. Find the water pump on the inlet side there is a valve to choose either water tank or the siphon hose.
On the towables - at least on the Jayflight - there is no city/tank cut over valve. The sequence goes something like this --

Tanks --->Winterize Valve--->Pump--+->interior water line
.................................................. .|
.................................................. .One Way valve City Inlet

Wow that was a crude drawing...but hopefully you get the picture...I have not played much with a 5th wheel water system, but I know they are a lot more complicated.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #12

That's the way mine is too, I should have called it the winterizing valve (and it's a good drawing)
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #13

I have used the siphon hose to winterize in May and probably left the valve in position to use it. Mine is accessed by removing the bottom drawer next to the kitchen sink. I should have the problem solved in the next hour.
'14 Denali XL
Old 06-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post
I have used the siphon hose to winterize in May and probably left the valve in position to use it. Mine is accessed by removing the bottom drawer next to the kitchen sink. I should have the problem solved in the next hour.
That will do it. Your pump will draw only air with that valve open. The one going to your tank from the pump will have to be opened up in addition to closing the winterizing valve.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #15

Thumbs up Problem Solved

You all had it right. I pulled a drawer to access the pump and sure enough, the valve from the FW tank to the pump was closed and the valve from the pump to the siphon valve was open. Thanks.
'14 Denali XL
Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #16

Glad it was an easy fix! Funny it only took us 16 posts to get there The journey is more fun than anything...lol...

Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #17

It did take a while, but that's because I wasn't able to get outside to work on it until late this afternoon. I kept thinking, all this time responding could have been spent working on the problem, but couldn't. I've got two other problems to work on, a water leak in the shower which is most likely at the drain or where the surround meets the pan. Hope to be working on that tomorrow. Also, the cable/satellite problem that so many others have from what I understand. One fellow gave me a diagram and I think really described the fix. We're well over a hundred miles to any Jayco dealer so I need to handle these small things myself. Most of you folks could do it without a second thought but that's not stuff I ever learned. Still, I enjoy working on things and learning a bit, even if I'll never need it again.
'14 Denali XL
Old 06-29-2011, 04:25 AM   #18
Site Team

Knowledge is a good thing. You will likely need it again or at least to pass on to someone else. Glad you found and resolved the pump problem.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #19

Same Problem, fixed

I had the same problem. Used it for the first time, and had the same problems that you are having. I also have a Jayco Eagle tt. Mine is the 2015 model. The water pump is located under the sink on the floor. There are 2 big black nobs that are also valves. One has a clear hose, and that is a drain hose I believe for antifreeze. The other black nob controls the water coming from the fresh water tank. Twist that to the open position, and it works great. Hope that I could help.
Danman99k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danman99k View Post
I had the same problem. Used it for the first time, and had the same problems that you are having. I also have a Jayco Eagle tt. Mine is the 2015 model. The water pump is located under the sink on the floor. There are 2 big black nobs that are also valves. One has a clear hose, and that is a drain hose I believe for antifreeze. The other black nob controls the water coming from the fresh water tank. Twist that to the open position, and it works great. Hope that I could help.
Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote