Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #1

Group 24, 27 & 29 Batteries??

I'm looking to purchase a new battery for our trailer. It currently has one group 24 from the dealer. I was looking to purchase a group 29. I looked in my TT manual today under the battery section and it stated to use a group 27 battery only and nothing larger......... Anyone have any advise on this subject?

And also, what's the difference between the groups?
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #2

Basically, the difference is amp-hour capacity and physical size. Group 29 being the largest of the ones you mentioned, on both counts. I'm going to guess, the group 29 may not physically fit the stock mounting location.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #3

I would use the largest battery that fits your box.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #4

Be aware of the weight and its impact on your tongue weight. The larger the battery, the heavier it gets.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #5

Based on the responses, the group size has nothing to do with with the converter. I would have to look it up again, but in the manual they made it sound as though a larger group size wasn't good for the converter. If anyone has any thoughts on the group size in conjunction with the converter, please advise. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #6

I would suggest that the converter will take longer to charge the larger battery. Also, the newer converters from Progressive Dynamics have a "maintenance" function that automatically comes on every 21 hours. As a battery is increased in size, the effectiveness of this will diminish. It will not be a black and white answer, but rather shades of grey. If your converter is made by Progressive Dynamics, you may want to contact them for a more precise answer.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/all_in_one_pd4000.html
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Chopshop,

The type of camping you do may influence your next battery purchase. If the majority of your camping has shore power available, then IMO just consider a standard group 24 Marine/RV battery similar to your existing battery.

On the other hand, if your camping involves frequent boondocking (no shore power) then you may want to consider a "true" deep cycle battery (12V or 6V set-up). True deep cycle batteries cost more, but they have capacity and longevity advantages over a standard Marine/RV battery.

I'm not aware of a compatibility issue with a given converter/charger and a particular battery size..., other then a larger capacity battery may take longer to charge to full capacity. Many newer converter/chargers are three stage units (in lieu of two stage) and have enhanced charging characteristics.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
I'm looking to purchase a new battery for our trailer. It currently has one group 24 from the dealer. I was looking to purchase a group 29. I looked in my TT manual today under the battery section and it stated to use a group 27 battery only and nothing larger......... Anyone have any advise on this subject?

And also, what's the difference between the groups?
As others have stated, your choices are multiple, dependent on how you use your rv- In our case, we had the space to install 4 6 volt deep cycle batteries- Obviously, we boondock more than others- The existing converter did a good job keeping the batteries charged so that was not an issue for us- We also had a 2k inverter so we could use limited 110 power [morning coffee is a must for us]- JMHO DD
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #9

I can't see where the battery size would make a difference from the converter perspective. My guess is they recommend a size based on the battery box size. If you are willing to do some bracket mods and can take the additional tongue weight, then go for it.

Another option not as convenient - carry a spare battery in your TV if you can and hook up as needed.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #10

Terry,
Here is a more technical explanation;
It’s because of the source resistance of the converter vs the internal resistance of the battery.
Larger capacity batteries have lower internal resistance, and require a converter (charger) with a lower source resistance for the same performance. Larger capacity converters have that lower source resistance. Each has a range within which proper performance can be achieved, and sounds like his manual is drawing the line at group 27 size battery. Not that group 29 would not work at all, just the charging performance would be reduced to the point they don’t recommend it.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
I can't see where the battery size would make a difference from the converter perspective. My guess is they recommend a size based on the battery box size. If you are willing to do some bracket mods and can take the additional tongue weight, then go for it.

Another option not as convenient - carry a spare battery in your TV if you can and hook up as needed.
That is my plan. When I upgraded to the two 6Vs, I installed a Blue Sea switch that would accommodate two banks of batteries. Right now, it's cabled only on one side the switch with the other side open but if the need arises, it'll be a 5 min trick to cable up my trolling motor battery that I keep in the bed of my truck.

See this thread for more info: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...oolbox+battery

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Terry,
Here is a more technical explanation;
It’s because of the source resistance of the converter vs the internal resistance of the battery.
Larger capacity batteries have lower internal resistance, and require a converter (charger) with a lower source resistance for the same performance. Larger capacity converters have that lower source resistance. Each has a range within which proper performance can be achieved, and sounds like his manual is drawing the line at group 27 size battery. Not that group 29 would not work at all, just the charging performance would be reduced to the point they don’t recommend it.
Thanks David - interesting. I need to go research that a little more when I have time. I had always understood the converter to read the voltage to know when to change stages and the size of the battery really did not matter - it just took longer to charge but it sounds like there is more to it I am missing. Tell me a little bit more about what you mean on the performance reduced. Is there a point where it would damage the batteries or cause other issues?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #13

There will not be any damage when a person installs a larger capacity battery than called for, but charging will take longer. In an extreme case the battery will never achieve a full charge. For the opposite condition where the battery is undersized, the battery could be damaged by over charging (too fast or too long) and will swell and have bulging of its case. Today’s smart chargers (micro processor controlled) help to minimize this risk.

In general, the battery charger will provide 2.45 VDC per cell to be charged. The resulting current flow is dependant on the charger source resistance, the battery internal resistance and the battery’s voltage at that time. The nominal cell voltage is 2.2 volts. For sealed lead acid batteries, this current flow must not exceed 15% of the battery’s Amp-hour rating. Flooded cell types can go somewhat more than this without damage. No doubt you’ve seen chargers rated as 2A, 10A, 75A etc. This is related to the internal resistance, and hence the maximum current it could deliver into a large fully discharged battery (1.8 volts per cell). Some chargers allow you to select a charge rate by switching in a bit of extra resistance to slow it down. Often they label the switch as a battery type selector. For TT converters, they size the charging circuits in-line with the above parameters.

For the OP’s desire for a group 29 battery, I still think the biggest limitation is going to be physical size. The ability to achieve a full charge is a grey area. It has about 40% more Amp-hours than a group 24. Not a huge amount really. To know the fine details of his particular set-up, contacting the maker of the converter would be worth while.
Attached Thumbnails
circuit-1.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #14

Very interesting answers, thanks. I ended up purchasing a group 27 battery for our needs. I just figured if the manual calls for that size (max), I will go with what they recomend. The battery will perform as needed. Thanks, I learned some by this thread, possibly more than I need to know
Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #15

Thanks David....interesting stuff for us tech nerds.... ;0

Old 10-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #16

My Jayco manual says Group 27 only also, but a group 27 won't fit in my battery box. Is a Group 24 safe? I will rarely EVER boondock.
KimberlyDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyDouglas View Post
My Jayco manual says Group 27 only also, but a group 27 won't fit in my battery box. Is a Group 24 safe? I will rarely EVER boondock.
Yes, a group 24 battery is safe. It is just smaller that a group 27 in both size and capacity.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote