Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #1

Skin damage repair question

2007 Jayflight, 28 RLS, single slide.

I have a bit of damage on the street side, rear just aft of the slide. It is not serious and I am trying to avoid taking it to the dealership (distance and money). I think I have attached a picture, may have screwed it up.
Anyway, it looks to be a fairly simple job of unscrewing the trim at the slide and at the corner and detaching the short panel.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has attempted a similar job and who will discuss traps and suppliers of aluminum and trim.
In the same vein, does anyone sell spray cans of Jayco color compatible paint?Thanks. Texas Slacker.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0725.jpg  
leoslaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #2

I've no experience with fixing damage to anything but would like to welcome you to the Jayco Owners Forum! Good luck with the fix and hope it turns out ok
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #3

You might find it easier to order the needed siding from Jayco to ensure that it is an exact color and pattern match to your trailer. Also, it looks like you will need to detach the lower section of the corner trim to get at the damaged end of the skin so you will need matching calk to reseal the corner trim after replacing the damaged skin.

I have not done this type of repair on a trailer but I have repaired aluminum siding on a relative's home. In that situation I had to remove all the sections from the bottom of the wall to the damaged section and then after installing a new section, reinstalling all the sections back to the bottom.

Good luck!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #4

Our trailer is currently in the shop getting "body work" Our 29 bhs Jayflight G2 was hit with a bb or pellet earlier this year. They hit near the top of the slide out a few inches from the window. After calling our insurance and getting reminded that "if it is not much over the deductible better to not make the claim" I spoke with our dealer. The service writer laughed when i asked if it would be much over $250 to fix. He explained that RV's are sided from the top down (vs house siding bottom up). So that would mean all of the siding on our slideout would have to come off from the bottom up and be replaced and the window would have to come out etc......ended up $1,000. to fix. I would definitely research and gather lots of info on this repair because it may not be as straight forward as it seems
Jaycojenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #5

I finally took pictures to a Jayco repair shop and got the same bad news. The shop foreman advised me to not even try. The trim at the slide can be removed only by removing the slide or "pushing it in a couple of inches'. I have no idea how to do this so will look into a body putty job. I still need a paint code but Jayco says they do not have one for trailers (seems odd) so I should take it to a paint shop. Sigh.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #6

Our Jayco dealer ordered the new "tin" as they refer to it and i'm guessing/hoping it is the same color as the rest of the trailer. If not i quess we'll be having a talk. But they didn't mention having to do any painting.etc.. I was at the dealer the other day and they were just getting started with it, only had the trim off but none of the tin. I have to tell you that makes one sick to see their trailer ripped apart. I hope it goes back together well and looks as it did before. Good luck with your repair. Did they give a you a cost estimate? Ours was just under $1000. to replace one piece of tin
Old 10-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #7

No, no estimate only that labor alone would exceed 30 hours. After that I didn't need a cost estimate.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #8

Ouch!
It looks like our labor was around 8 hrs and it would cost about $760 the one piece of seven ft of tin was $19.39, other shop supplies (sealants screws tape etc...)$35 and get this one............$125 for shipping and handling. I think i could of drove my suburban down from MI to IN and it would of cost less to bring back a seven ft piece of metal!

When we had our pop-up (starcraft) it was fiberglass and there was a crack in the roof, the dealer patched it and had a airbrush guy from the local auto dealer (Chevy l believe) i don't know what the cost of that was but the rv dealer cover it because the trailer was still under warranty. Of coarse your boo-boo on the trailer looks like it would need much more paint than a airbrush guy would do...
Old 10-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #9

How about having a couple pieces of aluminum diamond plate cut out and attach it over the boo boo? Put one on each side so it looks like it's supposed to be there.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #10

What I would do is a tube of clear paintable caulk , match the paint the best you can and fix it myself . It may not be the best repair job but it wouldnt look to bad . The last time I took our trailer to the dealer I was'nt impressed with their work any way ,
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #11

Repair siding

I had one of those very small tears in my siding dur to something blowing into the side while it was at my storage location. The tear was about an inch long running vertically down 1 piece of siding. It did dent the piece of siding on the top of the torn piece but only slightly. It was necessary to remove one of the bedroom windows to complete the repairs. Total cost $3200.00. There is no such thing as a small tear or dent when you start talking about insurance claims and repairs.
1mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Finally got the tt back after 5 weeks at the dealer (was supposed to be 1 1/2 weeks) But i do have to say the results looks great! The dealer did a great job and can't tell that the slide area of the trailer had to be disassembled and put back again. (had my doubts at one point)
Old 11-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoslaton View Post
I finally took pictures to a Jayco repair shop and got the same bad news. The shop foreman advised me to not even try. The trim at the slide can be removed only by removing the slide or "pushing it in a couple of inches'. I have no idea how to do this so will look into a body putty job. I still need a paint code but Jayco says they do not have one for trailers (seems odd) so I should take it to a paint shop. Sigh.
Go in to a good body shop or a body shop supply house they may have a digital paint reader... that they place on the paint and it gives the formula for making exact match paint... then they can mix you up a spray can ..... I did this last year and got an exact match... the large spray can cost me $50.00 but I felt it was well worth the $$$
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote