Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #1

Unhappy Propane tank problem!!!

This is my 2nd trip with my brand new Jayco 154BH and I am having problems with my propane tank. I tried to light up the stove and could not get any flame so i tried lighting up the water heater thinking that there must be an air lock in the gas line, flame came up and remained up for a few seconds. I lit up the heater again, but with the same results.

The flame lights up for a few seconds and then dies out. Any ideas as to what is going on?
Newtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #2

Had the same problem with our 184bh. Loosen the propane connection at the tank and then tighten it back up. This has worked 3 times on our tt.....happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #3

Tried it twice but still had the same problem. After a couple of hours, I decided to give it a try and to my surprise, I got a steady flame....
Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #4

This brings back memories. I bought a 184bh last year and had the same issue on the first trip. I took it back to the camper dealer and they kept it forever. They said it was the hose that went from the tank to the regulator. There is a valve inside of the hose that when it senses a surge in gas flow it will shut off. Another one of the safety features that is a PITA. So they replaced the hose. It worked for a while but started having the same issue. The way I get around it is open the gas valve on the tank extremely slowly. I mean very slow. This will let the gas go through and not trip the valve in the hose. I have had no problems since and have used a lot. I wish I could order a special hose that does not have this valve. If anyone knows where I can get such a hose please let me know.
Rgriffis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #5

I have an automatic changeover regulator. I leave both tank valves on all of the time. This way the lines remain pressurized. There are no system leaks so this is not a problem. As a matter of fact if you think leaving the tanks turned on all the time would be dangerous you should also be concerned about leaks when camping. I would rather discover at leak at home rather than while camping.

I know there are pro's and con's to leaving the tanks on all the time. This is just my practice and why.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #6

There is a valve in the pig-tail connector that will shut the gas off if a high flow occurrs (like a broken line). I was told by a knowledgeable guy at a propane shop that sometimes opening the tank valve too quickly will cause this valve to shut and that I should open the tank valve slowly. Once the valve closes it may open itself up over time. This same fellow told me that rapping the connector a few times on something hard will usually open them up also.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #7

You had air in the propane lines.. this is a common problem.. get a long handled BBQ lighter light it and hold it by a stove burner with the burner turned on high.. it may take a min or two for all the air to get purged but after that it should work well.. if the problem persists after several outings have the system checked for leaks...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #8

Thank you to all for your suggestions, I now understand that I had an "air lock" in the propane system since I had a normal flame after a few hours. I did open that gas valve very slowly as advised by my fellow camper, hence the problem of the high flow valve was not the suspect and there were no leaks in the piping. I have another trip coming up in next week and will know for sure as to what has happened.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #9

I have a new 184Bh that I have had for 4 weeks now and was having the same problem. I traded my propane tank for a different one at a local store and I have been opening the valve slowly and have not had the problem again. It was very annoying though, I had it happen 3 times and it seemed like it would take a few hours before the valve in the line would open back up again.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #10

We have a x20E and have been dealing with similar issues. Beyond frustrating. The time and money spent dealing with this issue is over the top. I'm tempted to take it back to our dealer and tell him that until it works without a hitch, we don't want it back.
We were supposed to leave for a weeks vacation next week but the propane issue has popped up again. We visited our third dealer over the weekend who mentioned that many are having issues with the safety feature tripping if it's not opened very slowly. We bought our third hose and it's working fine. However, I could go out and try to restart and nothing would happen.
It's making us both batty.
Amy
Apinkrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:51 PM   #11

Dual tank reg

I just added a second tank to my camp trailer and wondered if the auto switch regulator can replace the regulator on the side of my trailer? I'd like to bypass the trailer regulator if possible?
NWflyonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:49 AM   #12

My recommendation to the original poster is to open the valve at least halfway, close it fully and then open it slowly to full open. The second time you are opening it, you are opening it against a pressurized line and you won't have a problem.

And then do as Seann45 does, hold your lighter to a burner and wait for it to light. This will purge air from the system.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:10 AM   #13

So by doing this you believe I could bypass the trailer regulator?
NWflyonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post
Thank you to all for your suggestions, I now understand that I had an "air lock" in the propane system since I had a normal flame after a few hours. I did open that gas valve very slowly as advised by my fellow camper, hence the problem of the high flow valve was not the suspect and there were no leaks in the piping. I have another trip coming up in next week and will know for sure as to what has happened.
I've always been puzzled by this phenomenon. I understand that when a gas line is new, it is full of air. So, I buy a trailer, hook up a bottle of gas, purge the line and then I can cook or heat to my hearts content until I run out of gas.

However. If i use just a portion of the gas, but shut the valve on the bottle when I get home, just a few days later, I have to purge the gas line again to get enough gas to heat or cook with. Where does the propane go that was already in the line? If there are no leaks, shouldn't the propane still be there? Yet consistently it goes away after some period of time even though the system is supposedly leak free. Where does the propane go?
Old 06-09-2022, 08:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I've always been puzzled by this phenomenon. I understand that when a gas line is new, it is full of air. So, I buy a trailer, hook up a bottle of gas, purge the line and then I can cook or heat to my hearts content until I run out of gas.

However. If i use just a portion of the gas, but shut the valve on the bottle when I get home, just a few days later, I have to purge the gas line again to get enough gas to heat or cook with. Where does the propane go that was already in the line? If there are no leaks, shouldn't the propane still be there? Yet consistently it goes away after some period of time even though the system is supposedly leak free. Where does the propane go?
My understanding and belief is that there is always a very small amount of leakage, but a small enough amount for it not to be an issue other than having to purge the lines after a period of nonuse. Similar to a tire that has no leaks, with time you will still need to air them back up to the proper psi. ~CA
Old 06-09-2022, 09:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post

I have always assumed, the hose, and the gas have a chemical reaction, and the gas is neutralized. I have never heard of the issue when metal pipe is used.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have always assumed, the hose, and the gas have a chemical reaction, and the gas is neutralized. I have never heard of the issue when metal pipe is used.
I've never had this problem, and never had to purge the line because of propane loss. But the main gas line on my trailer is a 1/2" (or maybe 3/8") iron pipe, with copper lines running to each appliance. There's 4 or 5 feet of flexible "rubber" line running from the tanks and connecting to the iron pipe at the front end of the trailer.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote