Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #1

Slideout Seal Situation

The slideout seal on my Jayco fiver has pulled away from the top, front corner of the slideout opening. I have tried to push the seal back onto the opening lip, but it keeps pulling away and now drags as the slideout is extended and retracted. The rubber looks in fine condition. It just doesn't want to stay in place. Have any of you run into this problem? How do you fix it? Should I use an adhesive?
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #2

Similar Problem

Responded in another forum, but wanted to also support this forum. We had a similar problem on our Jayco Melbourne 29D motorhome. The slideout seal has a tiny slit that runs along the side of the seal, and attached to the slideout frame is an apparatus that looks like wire lace with tiny fingers, something like, but smaller than, paperclips, that fit in the tiny slit. The seal/gasket had pulled away from the wire "lace" fingers; I did the best I could to reinsert the fingers into the gasket, and was mostly successful, then applied a bead of silicone to overlap the gasket and the slideout frame, attempting to "glue" the gasket to the frame. So far it has worked, but only time will tell. Only other option I can envision is to pull the slide and replace the entire gasket. Hope this helps
Flytyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #3

Thanks Flytyer2. I'll take a second look at it.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #4

Slide out seal - 2008 Jayco 31.5 FBHS

Rear slide out wiper seal failed - sealant failed causing the wiper seal to fail.
The wiper seal pulled away from the top flange and the internal 'fingers' inside the seal had rusted away.

I just replaced the rear slide out wiper seal on my camper. Purchased the seal from Uni-Grip - profile matched perfect - I am pretty sure this is where Jayco get their seals from. Uni-grip sells it in 30-foot lengths for approx. $90 plus shipping. I opened my slide about 18-inches and worked off of a ladder. I removed the old seal - the 'fingers' had rusted out around the top and it had pulled away from the surrounding flange. Removed the old seal - scraped the old adhesive/sealant off with a medium to narrow scraper
(1/2-inch wide) - then used 3M adhesive cleaner remove the remaining sealant and to finish cleaning the surface - it does not affect paint finishes. Take care to protect your roof from both scraping and the adhesive cleaner - I use a piece of plywood to cover my rubber roof. After scraping and cleaning the old adhesive - I began the wiper seal installation at one end and worked it all the way around with my fingers pushing and seating it onto the flange (it will make your hands sore). At the corners - push it up and in as tight as possible - then cut the wiper part of the seal so that you can seat it into the corners. If the slide sides are a little snug use a wooden wedge
(I cut my own) to move the slide one way or the other so you have a little more working room (wedge it between the flange and slide - working it down as needed). After I finished installing the seal I let it set overnight and the next day to make sure the cool and heat would not affect it. The original sealant looked like latex or EDPM compatible sealant which is what had failed causing my wiper seal to fail. I used a clear silicone sealant on the seal this time. Silicone is 100% waterproof. I put a full bead all the way around making sure that the lap covers both the wiper seal and flange - in the corners I made sure the there was plenty of silicone to adhere to the seal and the camper itself. I hope this is beneficial to someone - I had a hard time finding very much information on how to make this repair. It was not very difficult if you are an accomplished do-it-yourselfer.
danmoore333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I did a jury rig repair on my mine which seems to be working just fine. But, I foresee the day I will have to do what you did. Thanks for the write up. It gives me something to follow. Also, thanks for the source with Uni-grip
Old 09-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmoore333 View Post
Rear slide out wiper seal failed - sealant failed causing the wiper seal to fail.
The wiper seal pulled away from the top flange and the internal 'fingers' inside the seal had rusted away.

I just replaced the rear slide out wiper seal on my camper. Purchased the seal from Uni-Grip - profile matched perfect - I am pretty sure this is where Jayco get their seals from. Uni-grip sells it in 30-foot lengths for approx. $90 plus shipping. I opened my slide about 18-inches and worked off of a ladder. I removed the old seal - the 'fingers' had rusted out around the top and it had pulled away from the surrounding flange. Removed the old seal - scraped the old adhesive/sealant off with a medium to narrow scraper
(1/2-inch wide) - then used 3M adhesive cleaner remove the remaining sealant and to finish cleaning the surface - it does not affect paint finishes. Take care to protect your roof from both scraping and the adhesive cleaner - I use a piece of plywood to cover my rubber roof. After scraping and cleaning the old adhesive - I began the wiper seal installation at one end and worked it all the way around with my fingers pushing and seating it onto the flange (it will make your hands sore). At the corners - push it up and in as tight as possible - then cut the wiper part of the seal so that you can seat it into the corners. If the slide sides are a little snug use a wooden wedge
(I cut my own) to move the slide one way or the other so you have a little more working room (wedge it between the flange and slide - working it down as needed). After I finished installing the seal I let it set overnight and the next day to make sure the cool and heat would not affect it. The original sealant looked like latex or EDPM compatible sealant which is what had failed causing my wiper seal to fail. I used a clear silicone sealant on the seal this time. Silicone is 100% waterproof. I put a full bead all the way around making sure that the lap covers both the wiper seal and flange - in the corners I made sure the there was plenty of silicone to adhere to the seal and the camper itself. I hope this is beneficial to someone - I had a hard time finding very much information on how to make this repair. It was not very difficult if you are an accomplished do-it-yourselfer.
Thanks to danmoore333 for info on how to repair the wiper seal on slide outs. I performed this procedure and it was not difficult. The supplier is Uni-Grip and the wiper seal has metal clips in the rubber seal that will hold the seal on the flange after it is pushed on the flange.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #7

slide out seal

I took my slide out rubber seal at http://www.pellandent.com/Motorhome_...029&Return=278

and Im very satisfied
serge90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #8

rvrev2 If your trailer is still under warranty a trip to the dealer should be in order.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote