Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #1

Propane grill selection?

Hello,

Planning to buy a portable grill which will utilize my camper's low pressure lp connection.

The only grill i see online is the olympian which seems to only get marginal reviews and is too expensive.

Does anyone know of other options or a quality portable grill that will allow removal of the regulator so a simple lp control valve could be installed in its place?

The grill we select does not need to attach to the trailer.

Any advice or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Chase455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #2

I have the Weber 100. I don't attach it to the quick connect gas line,but it will work with the proper mod. It's something I'd like to accomplish though.

Other then that, it's a Weber. Weber is hard to beat.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #3

Weber is very popular if just looking for a grill. I like camp chef if your looking for a grill/stove. amazon has a camp chef with grill box for under $200. all you have to add is a quick connect hose and your set to go.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #4

Honestly I looked long and hard at a portable grill expecially one that I could hook up to the LP line at the rear for a grill. WAY too pricy for me (to spend on a grill anyways). Several options, find a grill you like (some come with regulators built on them some dont) the ones with regulators you will need to use the small green LP tanks to run those or purchase a LP "T" fitting and run it directly off yout TT main LP tank. The ones w/o regulator you could run off your LP supply line thats already in place outside but you might need to buy a hose and possible addl fittings to make things work. whatever you do just dont forget the grill will barely run if you supply it with gas thats been fed through two regulators. Me personally...I just went to walmart and bought a 40$ portable tabletop Charbroil gas grill and use the green portable tanks. going on two seasons and works just fine and no problems. We also refill our empty green tanks off a 20lb tank we have at home to save a few dollars.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #5

We bought the Quisinart and it works just fine using the TT's disconnect without removing the regulator, you just need to turn the setting slightly higher. For overnight stops, we just use the small bottles and set the stove up on the end of the picnic table. If we are staying put a few days, we set up a cooking table on the side of the TT and hook the grill up to the quick connector. Any propane dealer can set you up with the proper hose, or Camping World has them.

Some of our friends tell us they had a hose made up to re-fill the small bottles from a 20 or 30# bottle. We have not tried that.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #6

We( DW) use the RVQ II--it has a grill side and a griddle side , Larry
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #7

I just purchased a Weber Q 120 and have the parts to convert it to the low pressure LP quick connect on my trailer. I hope the reviews on it are true!

I had a really old model Side Kick grill that was, well, next to worthless with uneven heating and hard to clean. It fastened to the rail on the side of the RV and left grease spatters behind. I think the new models of the RVQ II seem much, much better than the old Side Kick, but I could get the Weber cheaper and had the conversion parts so went with it. And I have a long enough hose so that if it rains I can move the Weber under the awning.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFoxy View Post
Some of our friends tell us they had a hose made up to re-fill the small bottles from a 20 or 30# bottle. We have not tried that.
I've heard of doing this, but was told those bottles are not made to be refilled and it could be very dangerous. I know nothing more about that and I'm not willing to try it. Not worth it to me.

We have a weber Q220. Will be removing the regulator already have the hose to quick connect just need to modify the end to grill.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #9

We have Weber Q 120 and hook it directly to a 20# bottle. Use it with it's own regulator. The advantage to Weber grills is that they
have cast iron grates, so better grill marks on the meat. We also have a Sportsman's Series Grill from Sams for under $100.00 Bigger
cookikng surface than the Q 120, but does not do nearly as good a job as the Q 120.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #10

We love our Webber Baby Q, best cooking grill we ever had.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
I've heard of doing this, but was told those bottles are not made to be refilled and it could be very dangerous. I know nothing more about that and I'm not willing to try it. Not worth it to me.

We have a weber Q220. Will be removing the regulator already have the hose to quick connect just need to modify the end to grill.
There are people who do that and as dangerous as it is, someone will always pop up and say they have been doing it for years and no problems. My hat goes off to them. The green canisters are notorious for leaking and in an enclosed space, that's a recipe for disaster. I guess there's just no substitute for a little dumb luck.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #12

The Weber grills are notoriously easy to retrofit for the low pressure connection. You retain the knob control and replace the regulator with a quick connect.
Fere's a link to an article that I wrote on this for the Keystone Forum. I go into great depth on stove conversions and parts compatibility and there are several photos. The article and photos, BTW, is based around a Weber grill conversion.

I had forgotten. It's also a sticky here. Must have gone brain dead.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ves-amp-Grills
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 04-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post

Never had an issue. We dont use a hose just the adapter that CW sells that made for re-filling the little tanks. Guess Im the guy..
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #14

We bought the Weber 200 and removed the factory regulator and installed a flex hose to connect to our TT's low pressure gas line. Works great, is big enough to cook on, heats up fine and is built to last.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #15

I plan to buy the camp chef outdoor stove and utilize the LP connection on my trailer.

For grilling, we either cook on the open fire, or we use our small charcoal grill

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #16

Thanks for all the great info.

Does anyone know if the "Camco" LP connectors - specifically the Quick Connect conversion kits will work with the Weber 1520 "Go Anywhere" grill?

I hope to remove the Weber regulator / valve assembly and replace with this unit to connect to the TT's low pressure supply.

Thanks.
Chase455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #17

We use the Coleman Road Trip BLUE ONE... It has all the grille room we need and works just fine for us. This grille has several different grilles that you can use for any kind of cooking desired. It also has the nice roll around carry case and fits great in the back of the truck for transport. Everything needed is contained in the zip up wheeled carry case. The water based drip tray is great as well and makes for almost instant cleanup. Still in great shape after more than five years of good use. The other reason I like this one is the 1lb canisters. I need these canisters for my back up heat source and having the Road Trip uses the same one so I always have a good supply with me.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase455 View Post
Thanks for all the great info.

Does anyone know if the "Camco" LP connectors - specifically the Quick Connect conversion kits will work with the Weber 1520 "Go Anywhere" grill?

I hope to remove the Weber regulator / valve assembly and replace with this unit to connect to the TT's low pressure supply.

Thanks.
You said Valve assembly, and I'm not sure what that consists of. You don't need to remove the valve from the Weber,only the regulator. Everything else stays intact. It cheaper to simply replace the regulator with a male QC fitting. They are around $6 and any RV place should have them. Take your hose in with you and plug the male fitting into the female fitting and blow through it to make sure it's going to permit gas flow. You should be able to blow through it since the other end of the hose will or should have a male fitting to mate with the trailer coupling. All fittings are not compatible.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #19

I tried last year to fill the little bottles up. Was working great until 3 or 4 in I unscrewed one after filling and the valve was stuck open on the small bottle. Luckily I have a huge front yard so I tossed it like a grenade to empty from a distance. Needless to say I no longer try to refill them..
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #20

If there were a significant savings to be had by refilling the green canisters, that would be a different matter entirely.. No, I take that back.. It's a dangerous practice and even if you paid less for propane that is going into the canisters, which you aren't, the risk to yourself and others around you would still be the same.. There are places to try to go cheap. Safety is not one of them..
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel