Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

Dealer markup on freight?

So does anyone know how to figure freight from Jayco to the dealer? Do they just make up a number or mark it up/
I have a quote but the freight seems very high compared to others but the MSRP may be inlflated to adjust it.
Very curious
tshirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #2

Retail price variance?

This is a good question, and I'd like to add a follow-up concerning MSRP. In looking at 2013 Jayco Whitehawks, I found that the 27DSRL located at a dealer in TX had a MSRP of $33,120. The same unit, with even more options than the TX unit, retailed for $31,277 in Indiana. My first thought is that the freight must account for the higher price, but maybe that's not a correct assumption.

In any respect, I wound up ordering the trailer from the Indiana dealer since it was quite easy to specify exactly the unit we wanted. I'll take delivery in mid-to-late March; and also work in a tour of the Jayco factory while in the vicinity.
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #3

It's a by the mile fee. Makes sense that the unit in Indiana (close to manufacturer) is cheaper than the same unit in texas. A little research into RV Transport will bring up some results on the mileage paid as it does vary. The guys you see (myself included) hauling a brand new trailer to a dealership need to make a few bucks for the delivery.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenenvy1 View Post
It's a by the mile fee. Makes sense that the unit in Indiana (close to manufacturer) is cheaper than the same unit in texas. A little research into RV Transport will bring up some results on the mileage paid as it does vary. The guys you see (myself included) hauling a brand new trailer to a dealership need to make a few bucks for the delivery.
Exactly!!

Doesn't it figure the freight is going to be higher the farther the unit has to be shipped from the factory to a dealer?

Has nothing to do with MSRP.

Our home base is Reno (actually bought in SoCal) and there was no way we were traveling to Indiana to save on the freight.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #5

In 2009, MSRP was the same for the exact options at the different dealers we checked with in the Western region of the US. However, the 'discounts' off of MSRP differed greatly from dealer to dealer! We wound up with a quote from RVDirect and asked our 'local' dealer if he could beat it. He did.

As for delivery charge. The dealers in So Cal and Az were pretty close to each other on what they charged for delivery. I can't remember the details now, but it was based on what the carrier charged per mile and definitely increased adjusting dramatically as gas prices rose a couple of years ago (we went rv looking, but didn't buy/upgrade).

Back in 2009, we were very, very fortunate to have the time off for a three week trip back east to pick up our tt. The transport fee they wanted (nothing to do with MSRP or tax/registration btw) wound up paying for our trip back, gas, meals, and cg stays. We pretty much (almost, but pretty close) had a free three week vacation for what we would have paid for the dealer to have our tt brought out to California for us.

The dealer we negotiated with had a 'partner' company right there down the street from the Jayco factory. The PDI was done there.

Would I travel across country again to get a new tt? If I had the time, definitely. Money saved gave us a vacation away from home. Would I suggest others do it... heck yeah!

Anyone reading this interested in buying a new rv...click on the link below my signi for some suggestions on saving money
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #6

Freight on our TT was listed at $2500. That was to CA from IN. Not sure if it was marked up from actual cost or that is just what it was.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Freight on our TT was listed at $2500. That was to CA from IN. Not sure if it was marked up from actual cost or that is just what it was.
In 2009 ours was quoted at around $2000. Gas was a lot less then too
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #8
Site Team

According to Richardson’s RV in CA (Internet Sales) where we purchased our 2013 Eagle 284BHS, the delivery charges are based on miles from the Indiana Jayco Plant. They quoted us $1900 to ship it to Orlando, FL from Indiana. We were camping in the Blue Ridge Mountains at the time, so we sold our TrailManor 2619, delivered it to the new owner in Chattanooga TN, and continued up to Indiana to pick up the new Eagle. We enjoyed the trip back in the new TT and it was a good test to make sure everything worked properly. We also saved about $1000 after deducting the return trips fuel/camping. Would do it again.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #9

If a dealer puts out a dollar he needs a dollar fifty back... so yes they mark it up...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #10

FWIW we've had a number of quotes this past month from Indiana to Detroit, Michigan area. Lowest tranposrtaion cost was $395 and highest was $850. These were both from Authorized Jayco dealers.
Having said that watch our for Dealer Prep charges (PDI etc...) they will fluctuate from free to $650.
I've found out that when I get a quote I want a breakdown of all charges ( Unit- transportation- sales tax- license fee- documentation fee etc...). That way I can compare dealers more accuarately.

Good luck,
Bill B. (Michigan)
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
I've found out that when I get a quote I want a breakdown of all charges ( Unit- transportation- sales tax- license fee- documentation fee etc...). That way I can compare dealers more accuarately.
x2 ..... Can't be said enough
Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #12

What dealer did you buy from?
tshirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshirtman View Post
What dealer did you buy from?
Indiana RV Connection, 3 miles from the Jayco factory. Price was $21,777 versus price at TX dealer of $24,985.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #14

This makes sense, but it seems like the Jayco dealers country-wide would be able to post the same MSRP no matter what part of the country they are located in, but also include a "transportation fee" that would reflect the cost of moving the unit from Indiana to whatever part of the country.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
According to Richardson’s RV in CA (Internet Sales) where we purchased our 2013 Eagle 284BHS, the delivery charges are based on miles from the Indiana Jayco Plant. They quoted us $1900 to ship it to Orlando, FL from Indiana. We were camping in the Blue Ridge Mountains at the time, so we sold our TrailManor 2619, delivered it to the new owner in Chattanooga TN, and continued up to Indiana to pick up the new Eagle. We enjoyed the trip back in the new TT and it was a good test to make sure everything worked properly. We also saved about $1000 after deducting the return trips fuel/camping. Would do it again.
First post here, but I want to add some insight pertaining to Richardson's RV. For a while I've been researching several new TTs and came to the conclusion that my wife and I wanted to purchase a JayFlight 24FBS. I contacted RVDirect first because my father a couple of years ago purchased an Eagle 320RLDS from them, so I know first hand how painless the experience was. However, I didn't necessarily want to have to make the trip from SoCal to Des Moine,Iowa again. After talking with RVDirect I found out that the 24FBS is manufactured in Jayco's Idaho plant. As a result RVDirect doesn't typically carry that model, but could order it anyways. They stated that transport from Idaho to Des Moine for pickup would be roughly $1700.

So knowing first hand the above information, I went to the Richardson's dealer in Menifee. They had a fully loaded 24FBS, which is exactly what I was looking for. The first sign that I would NOT be doing business with Richardson's was because the MSRP was about 10k over what Jayco states the actual MSRP should be. I know that RV dealers have more wiggle room on this, but it seemed excessive. Additionally, the same spec sheet with MSRP indicated the transport cost from the factory to the dealer was roughly $3800! That made no sense really, because the mileage from the Idaho factory to SoCal is far less than from Idaho to Iowa.

Right when I walked in the door, I was honest with the sales person and told her that I had done my research and priced out that trailer with RVDirect. I proceeded to ask her what Richardson's policy was pertaining to warranty repairs on RVs purchased via other dealers. She informed me that they would indeed service anyone who purchases via another dealer, but they would have lower priority over their customers. Which makes plenty of sense and is reasonable. However when my wife and I were trying to negotiate down the absurd MSRP, the sales person contradicted her early statement and told us that if we did buy from RVDirect we'd have a difficult time getting any warranty work or service performed. That pretty much was the last straw, so we walked out. Needless to say they didn't come close enough to RVDirect's pricing.
rootdenied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
Site Team

Wow, 10K over Jayco`s MSRP? That would make for one pricey 24FBS! BTW welcome to the forum.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Wow, 10K over Jayco`s MSRP? That would make for one pricey 24FBS! BTW welcome to the forum.
Indeed! Like I said the MSRP and transport pricing was so out of whack it made no sense. Just wanted to mention it because unscrupulous dealers don't deserve the business.
rootdenied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootdenied View Post
So knowing first hand the above information, I went to the Richardson's dealer in Menifee. They had a fully loaded 24FBS, which is exactly what I was looking for. The first sign that I would NOT be doing business with Richardson's was because the MSRP was about 10k over what Jayco states the actual MSRP should be. I know that RV dealers have more wiggle room on this, but it seemed excessive. Additionally, the same spec sheet with MSRP indicated the transport cost from the factory to the dealer was roughly $3800! That made no sense really, because the mileage from the Idaho factory to SoCal is far less than from Idaho to Iowa.

Right when I walked in the door, I was honest with the sales person and told her that I had done my research and priced out that trailer with RVDirect. I proceeded to ask her what Richardson's policy was pertaining to warranty repairs on RVs purchased via other dealers. She informed me that they would indeed service anyone who purchases via another dealer, but they would have lower priority over their customers. Which makes plenty of sense and is reasonable. However when my wife and I were trying to negotiate down the absurd MSRP, the sales person contradicted her early statement and told us that if we did buy from RVDirect we'd have a difficult time getting any warranty work or service performed. That pretty much was the last straw, so we walked out. Needless to say they didn't come close enough to RVDirect's pricing.
If you use an RvDirect quote to negotiate with a "local dealer" in the future, try contacting the internet manager directly. Depending on the dealership, you could contact the actual owner (if owner actually works on the property). Taking a quote in hopes to have it 'met' and discussing with a sales person won't help you out...No matter, the dealer still has to pay that salesperson you just spoke to, so if there is a next time, by-pass the salesperson at that point in your potential purchase process.

We took our quote straight to the Richardson's internet manager, who after getting the ok from the owner, agreed to sell us our tt (we ordered it). He wound up unavailable the next day, so we completed our paperwork with the owner (this whole process was accomplished on the phone and email!). At the time, the delivery would have been somewhere under $2000 (I don't have access to my paperwork). We decided to use the $$ and pick it up ourselves (see post #5 this thread). We looked at a tt there a couple of years later (when gas jumped up to near $5 a gallon here in Cali) and the delivery price jumped dramatically.

I agree about any staff at any dealership ... if a salesman will announce that their dealership might have issues servicing your Jayco in the future if you don't buy with them, I would also turn and leave.... however! I would make sure that the manager and/or owner is aware of it as this might just be an overzealous salesperson misrepresenting the dealership's intent in order to make a sale for themself. Any dealer might put their own customers on priority, but they won't deny you service just based on who you bought from. If once is all said and done and that occurs, contact one of the supervisers at Jayco directly to file a complaint.