Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #1

Using the supplied 30A to 110v adapter plug...

Hi guys,

When using this adapter to plug my trailer into a standard 110 outlet, does this also charge the battery while plugged in? The dealer said you could run anything in the trailer except the AC and microwave using this method of power. Otherwise my breaker would probably trip. Anyone know if that's a sure thing?

Also, if the RV cord does not reach the outdoor outlet and I need an extension, would it be ok to connect the adapter to the RV 30A cord then a standard extension cord from the adapter to the outlet? Or should I use a 30A extension cord connected to the RV 30A cord followed by the adapter then plugged into the outlet? Hope you guys could follow me on this. LOL

Thanks,
Chris
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Site Team

The converter will charge the battery and keep it charged while plugged in to 110 or "shore power". I would definitely not run the AC or microwave with a 15 or 20 amp outlet and a standard 16/2 or 14/2 extension cord. But it should be fine to just keep plugged in to shore power to keep the battery charged. I have run the AC on a 20 amp breaker for awhile with no extension cord, but nothing else was running. A voltage meter plugged in to an outlet will tell you how low your voltage is dropping when items are turned on. The dealer told you right, you can run anything else in the unit safely on a regular outlet.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

We use the adaptor plug to charge the battery, and run the fridge for the day prior to heading out. Works fine for that.

If your std extension cord is 16 gauge and short, such as 15 feet or less, should be okay to run the fridge and a few lights. Many extension cords are 18 gauge (smaller wire), which I think may introduce too much voltage drop under load. Like Crabman says, you can test this for your set-up.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #4

I have a 50 foot 30amp extension cord that I have run the ac on before with just a couple of lights. I have had no issues. I would like to have a 30 amp plug put in someday. Its on my "to do" list.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #5

When parked at home our trailer is always pluged into the 110. The batteries stay up and the frige is always cold.. On our river lot I have several 110v plugins for guests. They can run lights, tv, refrigerator etc. I really don't want to pay for any airconditioners or electric heaters so they are on a 15amp breaker.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #6

Quote:
.....and the frige is always cold..
Tip of the day.....keep your fridge cold so you can store extra beer

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
This is a must!!! I've had mine plugged into "shore power" at the house since we bought it home using a 30 AMP cord with adapter...turned fridge on and then next morning brought out soda's and beer and sandwich makings to keep cold while working on getting TT back into shape. I did run A/C for about an hour one day when the temps busted 90 degrees, but had everything else off.

Fair winds and happy trails...
GKopecky1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
It's a law of nature. You can never have to much cold beer and goodies.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:50 AM   #9

I picked up on the beer requirement, now what was the original post? Oh yeah, I recall. Wanted to get 30 amp power at my house but new rig wont fit in the driveway
Jim_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer View Post
Hi guys,

When using this adapter to plug my trailer into a standard 110 outlet, does this also charge the battery while plugged in? The dealer said you could run anything in the trailer except the AC and microwave using this method of power. Otherwise my breaker would probably trip. Anyone know if that's a sure thing?

Also, if the RV cord does not reach the outdoor outlet and I need an extension, would it be ok to connect the adapter to the RV 30A cord then a standard extension cord from the adapter to the outlet? Or should I use a 30A extension cord connected to the RV 30A cord followed by the adapter then plugged into the outlet? Hope you guys could follow me on this. LOL

Thanks,
Chris
Yes, it will charge the battery when plugged in and also allow you to operate lights.

It could run the AC by itself (turn off the other circuit breakers), but make sure you have a heavy duty extention cord with 12 or 14 gauge wires and not too long: 30-50 feet should be OK. Save the money and don't bother getting the 30A RV Extention cord.

Check the voltage at the outlet at your house with a meter. If you measure 120V, then make sure you have at least 110V at a trailer outlet when the AC is running. Any less and you run the risk of damaging the compressor motor. If the house circuit breaker trips, there may be too much draw from other items in the house on that circuit.
22FB2010Tim is offline   Reply With Quote