Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #1

Rid-X for cleaning out black tank ?

Just heard from an acquaintance that he has tried Rid-X in his black tank to clean it out and make the sensor work better. Seems to have worked to some extent.

Just wondering if anyone here has tried this, and can Rid-X damage the tank or system ?
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #2

I doubt it would damage it, but I thought it had to be in there for a while to work. I would think that when you dump the dank all the enzymes would be gone....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #3

Holding Tank Cleaner and Deodorant

I have used the following Recipe for over 10 years to Eliminate Odors and Clean the Black and Gray Holding tanks on Motor Homes, 5th Wheels, and Travel Trailers. It not only Cleans and Eliminates Odors, But Lubricates the Valves In the Gray and Black Tanks as well as keeps the Sensors Clean so that you can tell how full your tanks are. It is Cheaper than the Chemicals that you buy, and in my opinion, does a better job and Less Harm to the Environment. Since using this Recipe, I have not had any Odors or problems with My Black or Gray Holding Tanks.
Recipe is here
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #4

The black & grey tanks on a trailer are holding tanks, not septic tanks. Big difference. Septic tanks rely on enzymes to break down the waste over time. Holding tanks are meant to be emptied periodically. I doubt that enzymes would/should be in there long enough to do much good. OTOH, they probably wouldn't do any harm either but I think chemicals intended for holding tanks might be a better choice for the money.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
The black & grey tanks on a trailer are holding tanks, not septic tanks. Big difference. Septic tanks rely on enzymes to break down the waste over time. Holding tanks are meant to be emptied periodically. I doubt that enzymes would/should be in there long enough to do much good. OTOH, they probably wouldn't do any harm either but I think chemicals intended for holding tanks might be a better choice for the money.

X2
Old 06-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #6

You all make good points, so think I'll forget the idea of Rid-X. MHbell - I looked at your recipe, and like the looks of it. My main concern is with the black tank, and the sensor readings. I can get an empty reading just after dumping, but an hour later, the sensor can read up to 3/4 full, even though nothing has been added to the tank. And since the 5er tank is not directly under the toilet, the bend in the pipe prevents visual confirmation of the tank level. Will try this recipe and see if it helps. Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.
Retired at last !

Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #7

Quote:
And since the 5er tank is not directly under the toilet, the bend in the pipe prevents visual confirmation of the tank level.
That's not a problem, that's a feature.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #8

Murphie - My comment about the bend in the pipe stemmed from the fact that my previous camper, a 27 foot Prowler TT, had a straight pipe down into the tank, and if you needed to visually check the tank level, you could hold the toilet valve open and do so. The bent pipe in the 5er is certainly a feature, but it also means that when the sensor doesn't work, you have to guess the level of waste in the tank. And when the No-fuss flush doesn't work, the spray wand that I used on the TT doesn't work very well either, because it won't go down into the tank. When you can't properly flush the tank, and you don't know if it is draining properly, that becomes a problem, at least IMHO.
Retired at last !

Old 06-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #9

I would think if you use rid x then it wouldn't be something you dump right away. If you are not campin for a while then you could fill the black tank with clean water and add the rid x. The product would work while the camper is sitting there. The next time you go camping you would dump the black upon arrival.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #10

I started using Rid-X in my black tank last winter... works well for me as I only dump the black tank once a month.. and Rid-X needs to be in there that long to work right...

Now if you are trying to just clean your tank... fill it with water add the Rid-X and let it sit for a month... it should do a good job.. but if you dump weekly or more often then forget it...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #11

We have a method we learned decades ago when our family was a member of the Starcraft camping Club, and no one has ever had black water tank issue in our family since.

After dumping the black tank, add about 2 gallons of water to the tank then add a few ounces of PineSol. We never measure, so I would guess we add about 2-4 ounces per application. We leave the solution in the tank until our next dump. This way as we travel the solution sloshes around in the tank and ensures the sensors are kept clean.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #12

A lot of folks I know who use enzyme based black tank treatments dump their black tank at the start of their trip instead of at the end. This allows the enzymes to do their thing over time. Regardless what you use it seems like the cheap ole' OEM sensors go bad in short order no matter what method is used.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmay25 View Post
A lot of folks I know who use enzyme based black tank treatments dump their black tank at the start of their trip instead of at the end. This allows the enzymes to do their thing over time. Regardless what you use it seems like the cheap ole' OEM sensors go bad in short order no matter what method is used.
My black at nk sensors still work well after 9+ years. The gray tank sensors are flaky.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
You all make good points, so think I'll forget the idea of Rid-X. MHbell - I looked at your recipe, and like the looks of it. My main concern is with the black tank, and the sensor readings. I can get an empty reading just after dumping, but an hour later, the sensor can read up to 3/4 full, even though nothing has been added to the tank. And since the 5er tank is not directly under the toilet, the bend in the pipe prevents visual confirmation of the tank level. Will try this recipe and see if it helps. Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.
The whole idea of the solution that I mix up is to keep odors at bay, Lubricate the valves, and clean the tank and sensors. I always make sure the tank is at least 3/4th full before dumping even if I have to add water to it. If the unit is going to be sitting very long or stored. Make sure the tank is emptied otherwise the contents will dry out and you will really have a problem trying to clean it. I know of people who had to get new tanks because the unit set for months without the tank being emptied. After the tank is emptied put in some of the mix that I recommended with a couple of Gals of water. Another thing you might try is to buy a flexible wand that you hook a water hose to and put it down the toilet. The end spins with a jet of high pressure water and will clean the walls and sensors in the tank. You can buy them at Most Walmart stores.
Mel
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #15

Old thread but I thought I'd post in case someone lands on it.

RE : using Rid-x in the black tank

It's 2019 and I have a 2007 31BHDS, so 12 years of a drained, but most likely a never washed out black tank.
My problem was the gauges were shorted by accumulation and not working.

So I researched, did the calcs, and poured about 1/4cup of regular powdered Rid-X (not the liquid) into my 33gal tank via the toilet - first emptied but then filled up with water - then let it sit for two weeks,

At two weeks I drained the tank and thoroughly washed out the tank with one of those septic wands.

Tons of lovely stuff came out of the tank.
But the gauge works great now.

I see people saying Rid-X is not made for RVs, but for residential septic tanks.
But think about it . . .
The problem is residential septic tanks are generally in a Full status most of the time, so normal Rid-X would have time to work.
In an RV or trailer, you're emptying it all the time, so it might not normally have enough time to work.
So if using the powdered formulation, you just need to let it sit for a long enough time to work.

My guess is the liquid type is sold for RVs because of one of the following :
  • works faster
  • easier to use
  • more profitable because, alternatively, a package of regular powdered Rid-X is going to last forever at 1/4 cup per use.

And btw, the tank is just plastic, so there's not going to be any harm done by some beneficial bacteria.
I don't have any residual smells either. Why would there be - there's the trap-door valve in the toilet.

It's so clean I'm planning on toasting a glass out of that tank tonight.
All kidding aside, it worked great.
Kbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbarb View Post
Old thread but I thought I'd post in case someone lands on it.

[B] first emptied but then filled up with water - then let it sit for two weeks,

At two weeks I drained the tank and thoroughly washed out the tank with one of those septic wands.
Most don't let their tank sit with just water in it for 2 weeks that is why RID-X makes 2 different products.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #17

Yes, as I wrote in the my first bullet point, and in paragraph 5.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #18

Evidently Rid-X is making a holding tank treatment for RV's now.
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #19

Had to double check the RID-X holding tank treatment just in case I had a senior moment. Yes RID-X are making a holding tank treatment, Amazon and WalMart . Have not used it but willing to try. I used RID-X at my OK home that had a aerobic system and it worked great.They have been around for along time so it is probably worth trying.
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #20

Well as I wrote, I don't think it matters too much which one you use.
They're probably the same microbes, just the RV/trailer one is in liquid form and perhaps more active, concentrated and quicker acting. And more expensive.

If you use the powdered formulation, you probably just have to let it sit longer, like when you're not using it.

Btw, so much extra stuff came down the line after the two weeks, I'm thinking of a regular treatment for a while. I only bought the trailer a few months ago, and after 12 years of previous use it must have really been caked on in there.