Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #1

How Do I Hook Up a Battery?

i have a 1995 8' eagle series pop up and the campground that i frequently go to does not have electrical hook ups. How would i go about wirring up a deep cycle marine battery to power the lights and outlets?
Kmazzeo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #2

Elec power

I believe you need a small & quite 120v gas generator which will power your converter which goes from 120 to 12v for your lights and will also ngive you 120v for your outlets.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #3

The campground doesn't allow any generators. I have heard of people using a deep cycle marine battery but I'm not sure of how to wire it in. i have heard of people wiring it in to the fuse panel. I wont need a way of a constant recharge of the battery because we only go for a few nights and hardly use the lights and outlets but i would like to be able to. If anyone has any tips or ideas they will all be considered and appreciated.

Thank You
Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #4

Does your Pop UP have a battery box? If your Pop UP has electric brakes, then it has an onboard battery somewhere. If so, the "black" thick cable is "+" and thie "white" battery is "-" (aka: ground). If someone re-wired its 12V thick cables, then "black" wire could be "-" and its RED thick wire could be "+". Not too sure of battery cable colors they used in 1995. Hopefully, you have a 12V tester and can probe their existing thick wires - to confirm its "-" and "+" current flow....

If you know where its onboard 110/12V Convertor is installed, simply look for its downstream 12V thick cables. Simply splice into these 12V cables, install plastic battery box and use thick 8 guage cables - from battery to 12V convertor side. Don't forget to install a 12V / 50A breaker between the battery and its downstream convertor thick "+" wire as well. Use the 12V tester to probe and double/triple check the -/+ polarity of the 12V side of the convertor. Sounds silly but drawing a picture of the wiring scheme helps as well.

Hopefully, your Pup has an existing onboard 12V battery compartment and simply only needs a battery installed. Or, perhaps a fuse to activate its current flow as well.

Hope this helps....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #5

Thanks but the camper doesnt have an on board battery so i am going to hard wire one in but im not exactly sure of how i should go about it.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #6

Battery

How would i go about installing a deep cycle battery in my 1995 8' eagle series pop up. Its not equipt with a battery but i have heard of people wiring in a battery to use the lights and outlets. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmazzeo26 View Post
Thanks but the camper doesnt have an on board battery so i am going to hard wire one in but im not exactly sure of how i should go about it.
Note: We're assuming your trailer uses 12 Volt. As a suggestion, pull its dome light cover off and test with 12V tester. If 12V bulb, continue with below....

Here's some step by step items:

Visit your local RV dealer and buy an RV Battery box. re: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/cat/551...51702_Silo.jpg

While at the RV dealer, ask to see their many PUPs that have their own onboard battery box (which is often on their tonque area). Thus, giving you a visual of its frame supports as well. re: http://www.rvsjunction.com/image_gd/...4132505081.jpg

Within your PUP, find its 120V->12V convertor. Its hidding somewhere in a lower cabinet or under a bed. The convertor looks something like http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...er-charger.htm

The rear of this convertor has 2 x 12 Volt ports on it. These ports (holes for thick wires) are often RED (for "+") and Black (for "-"). The "live" RED thick wire goes to the trailer's 12V distribution panel. The Black thick wire goes to trailer's 12V distribution panel and bolts on its steel side. Or, it may go to steel frame. Regardless, the RED thick wire is the one to focus on.

From Battery "-" post, run a thick wire to frame ground. Use a thick 8 guage wire. If over 10 feet long, use thicker 6 guage wire.

From Battery "+" post, run a thick wire into a 50A (or 40A breaker). This breaker is often 12" from the battery box.

If wondering, circuit breaker is http://www.surplus-electronics-sales...%20Bracket.gif

From the circuit breaker, run thick 8 guage wire into the RED port of the 12V convertor. This can be "sister" spliced onto the thick convertor wire or if Convertor port hole is large, also push its wire end into the port. Then, clamp down.

Note: I would install a simple manual off/on switch between circuit breaker and the Convertor. If I want the Covertor ON (using shore power) and NOT over charging its downstream 12V battery, I simply turn this manual switch to OFF. Or, if I want to 12V battery to feed into my trailer's 12V distribution panel, I turn its 12V switch to ON (when shore power is OFF). A nice manual switch is http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...Switch-450.jpg

If wondering, the battery switch on my seasonal site TT is http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_1336.jpg

For a visual, simply "draw a diagram" of the above wiring. re: Ins/outs and its frame ground contact points.

Hope this helps....

Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #8

Question

Hi Spike99 Will there be any worthwhile 120v power available, for outlets, when back feeding that way ?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #9

You can get the owner manual for Jayco trailers all the way back to 1973 by going to:

http://parts.cunninghamcampers.com/

After you register, then log in, you'll have access to download the owner manual you need.

On page 40 of the 1995 manual, it states that all Jayco popups are designed to accept an auxiliary battery. It gives instructions on how to add one, depending on the type of converter that's installed in your particular TT.

Have a good one,
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
Hi Spike99 Will there be any worthwhile 120v power available, for outlets, when back feeding that way ?
RV Convertors are one way conversion flow. re: Converts from 110/120V to 12V. Even with factory built-in battery systems, their 12V battery does NOT convert to 110/120V - to feed 110/120V outlets.

If one wants to 110/120V system (with NO 110/120V shore power), they need an "Inverter". Simply connect the DC to AC Inverter to the trailer's 12V battery (using thick 8 gauge wire). Or, use 12V 10 guage wire for shorter wire distance and low "power demand" loads. For details of Inverter, surf: http://invertersofpower.com/

With inverters, size does matter as well. For example, one cannot connect a 110/120V coffee maker to a small 200W inverter. The "power demand" of the coffee pot is too much. More 110/120V power demand, larger the Inverter. And, thicker its 12V cable to its 12V battery as well.

Hope this helps...