Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #1

Whats the best way to sell 5th wheel fast?

What's everyone's opinion on the best way to sell a 5th wheel and fast? We placed an order for a 2014 375BHFS that should come offline and be ready to pick up around August 19. That being said, we are trying to sell 2012 Jayco 365BHS outright as opposed to trading it in. We have it listed on this site, rvtrader, rvt.com, flyers listed all around the area we have it parked and several of the Missouri Craigslist pages. Over the past 2 weeks, we've had just a couple questions about it, and the only calls are from "marketing firms" that want to charge between $199-399 to list it and try selling it online for us. We're asking $39,900.00 but are open to discussing any reasonable offers, and NADA has low book at $55k. Are we overpriced, not listing on the right sites, or is selling a newer, late model camper just that difficult of a task. I'm open to any feedback as we would really like to get this sold as opposed to trading it...

Thanks,
Jr
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #2

If you aren't getting much interest in it you probably have it priced too high. $39,900 does sound a little high for a basically two year old trailer with no factory warranty. Just keep lowering your price until you spark some interest, that's when you know you have it priced right.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #3

Sounds like you are doing everything right, just need that one buyer to come along and fall in love.

However IMO it just that difficult to sell late model used.

For me to buy used there needs to enough perceived "discount value" vs buying new to justify it. When we looked for our first TT we thought used was the way to go, but i didn't want someone else's problems so I only looked at newer options. In searching the used market we found the discount for "newer used" just not significant enough to offer the savings I needed to justify giving up warranty and picking out exactly what we wanted. Granted we were looking at a different price point, but I was only finding 10%-15% ($2k-$3k) less than I could negotiate for the exact trailer + hitch + installation new.

We are in the similar position right now. We would like a larger TT, added kid 3 to the mix last year, but the trade in offer is less than I willing to take and what I need to justify the upgrade isn't low enough for the typical used buyer in my area.

Also, I don't think NADA is much of a gauge. When we started thinking about this early this year NADA's avg private party value for my TT at the time was $1k less than I paid. I'm certainly no expert but I think my TT had to depreciate more than 5% in 1.5 years.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #4

I think it makes things a little tough when you see on-line ads for new 2013 models at $45,000. These could be stripped down models but people look at that number and may view $39,900 as not much of a bargain for a two year old unit. If you figure a -20% loss in value as soon as you drive a new unit off the lot and then another -10% reduction/year after that I'm thinking you'll need to be at the NADA low end ($34,000) to sell the unit quickly.

What was the dealer offer?

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

I'm maybe not qualified to offer a thought as my financial ability restricts me to older units but I have found that Blue Book isn't much use when selling. It all depends on the right guy coming along. I just sold a 2000 Montana dirt cheap because that's what I thought I was going to get in the local market. One thing that I do to lessen the emotional impact is tell myself that people that spend thousands for a cruise don't expect anything back so why should I expect a lot back on my recreational expense. That's probably also the reason I can't afford late model units
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #6

I sold my previous trailer on consignment at a local dealership. It sold in less than a week. I got more, even after their percentage, than if I had sold it outright.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #7

deprecation on campers is terrible. having bought and traded a few here is what I have learned. to see what a dealer will offer you on trade in go to nada guide dot com. enter your camper year and model and do not add options. enter and you will see the different values. in real money a dealer will put between 70% and 80% of low retail in your camper. you will do a lot better selling it your self. a few tips a like new camper is easier to sell. The best place to advertise is at the campground while your camping. put a for sale sign on it and you will be surprised who will knock on your door. my buddy bought a 2006 earlier this year for 18k. I told him he gave to much for it. he camped 3 diffent times for a week each. put a for sale sign at the campground and a man wrote him a 20k check for his camper.

2012 Jayco Eagle 351 mkts
2012 F250 powerstroke 4 x 4
rsbwjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #8

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess my reason for using NADA is that's what my insurance company used to determine the value back in early 2012 when a tornado destroyed our 2011 365BHS. I do understand though there's a difference between "book value" and "what someone is willing to pay.
If the camper was paid off I would have no concerns letting a dealer sell it on consignment for us, but since we still have a loan on it, I'm a little nervous that if it doesn't sell within the next couple months, I'll be looking at carrying payments on 2 campers until next spring.
I have lowered the asking price to $37,900.00 everywhere I have it listed and the dealer is offering $32,500.00 to trade so I still have some wiggle room if someone is really interested.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #9

Make sure you're also calculating the tax savings that can be realized off the trade in.

IE - If the dealer gives you 32,500 for trade... that comes off the taxable price of the new unit. At a 6% sales tax rate... that's an additional 1,950 in savings. Thus, you'd need to sell it privately for at least 34,450 to break even.

Add in personal time invested to show it to people, etc... it's almost a better deal to trade it in.

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post
Make sure you're also calculating the tax savings that can be realized off the trade in.

IE - If the dealer gives you 32,500 for trade... that comes off the taxable price of the new unit. At a 6% sales tax rate... that's an additional 1,950 in savings. Thus, you'd need to sell it privately for at least 34,450 to break even.

Add in personal time invested to show it to people, etc... it's almost a better deal to trade it in.
I agree. Just bite the bullet to get it over with. You will be money ahead in the long run.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #11

Quote:

Not everywhere, in California tax is calculated on the purchase price regardless of any trade in. Additionally the buyer of the used camper, either private party or though a dealership, will pay sales tax on that unit when they go to register it.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #12

Another reason CA sucks... though IL (where I'm at) isn't much better.

I agree the buyer pays tax... but the buyer isn't a concern here. Trying to maximize the seller's money in this case.

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:

Here in South Carolina, there is a maximum sales tax of $300 that you pay on any purchase. Be it a Ferrari or a beater car. Then you pay annual property taxes on it after that. I don't know if that comes into play here or not...but anyways..........
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #14

Appreciate your opinion on my state. While you are shoveling driveways thinking about your winterized RV...I'll be at the 75* beach camping in mine.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #15

Gee, guess I got the best of both. $300 max sales tax, no snow to shovel, and the beach where my TT is kept! Just having a lil fun guys.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #16

One of my coworkers just sold his 5er on craigslist. It took a yearvand a half. He did the listing companies and such but it ultimately sold on craigslist. 2years ago i sold our trailer also on craigslist. I priced it what i wanted to get, but every 48 hours or so you can relist it to put it back on top of the list. When i relisted it i would drop the price $500. It got to within 1000 dollars of my lowest acceptable price and i got the call. I told her i really needed to sell it because i had a new one on order. They came out and bought it. My trailer was a nine year old unit and my coworkers was a new unit he only used for 8 weekends. I do not know if mine sold fast because it was older and cheaper or what. I do not know if my coworkers took so long because it was a new one or the economy or what. I do know he was not happy with wasting money to the other companies that promise they have buyers waiting to buy. They do not have buyers waiting. They just list on the sites you have mentioned already.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #17

In Missouri I'll get the trade value taken off the top end of the selling price of the new unit. However, I'm still several thousand ahead if I can get it sold for enough to pay the active loan on it off, and just pay the full sales tax on my new unit.
Think the only way you can get even close to NADA value on campers these days is if you buy directly from a local dealer, then turn around shortly thereafter and trade it back to them. Wouldn't look good for a dealer to sell a $70,000.00 camper today and tell you it's only worth $35,000.00 a year later.
It cracks me up how all of these sales marketing firms has gobs of buyers just waiting for them to list campers just like what I'm selling, but not a single 1 is willing to take my deal which is, "List and sell my camper before August 10 and I'll not only pay your broker fee, but I'll pay double your asking price." Even the places that sell 70% of their listings within 15 days.