Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #1

2005 24SS - Where to mount a "whole house" inverter/charger

I'd like to install a "whole house" 1000 watt modified-sinewave inverter/charger, but there aren't any obviously good areas to do it.

The floor under the drawer under the refrigerator looks like it would have enough floor space once the OEM converter/charger and 400 watt inverter are removed, it's close to the batteries, and some of the high amp cables could (maybe) be used with the new equipment. But .. it'd be tight, and it's not ventilated very well.

The floor beside the drawer under the stove is roomier, there's plenty of height, and the ventilation is better, but it's an area that gets warm when the furnace or water heater run. That might not be an issue, since the furnace is used in cold weather, but I don't have any cold weather to help me with testing right now

So, two questions:

1) what's a good place to mount the inverter/charger?

2) what inverter/charger do you suggest?
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric6A View Post

So, two questions:

1) what's a good place to mount the inverter/charger?

ANY power inverter should be installed AS CLOSE TO THE BATTERY SOURCE AS POSSIBLE. Understandably this is not always possible. Make sure you read the Mfr specifications as to the SIZE/LENGTH of cable needed between the battery and the inverter and also the ground cable from the inverter.

2) what inverter/charger do you suggest?
When you are shopping for a new inverter you want to look at a PURE SINE WAVE (PSW) inverter and not a Modified Sine Wave (MSW). The RV electronics will operate much better using the PSW inverter, this because its output looks more like the AC sine wave ~ from the power company. The modified sine wave inverter output looks more like steps.

The first thing that you need to do is to determine what you want to run off the inverter. Coffee pot, toaster, hair dryer are out. Tv/laptops/tablets/smartphones are OK (but it would be better to run them off of 12VDC if at all possible)

As for a model, you will need to research them, and check for any customer complaints. I have a RAMSOND 1500watt and 260Ah battery power, with solar. Unless you have a major battery bank, you are not going to be able to use the inverters output to its max. (1000 watts/12VDC=83Amps). Most RV's/TT/'s come with less than a 100Ah battery, so that may need to be upgraded.

Just my thoughts,
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #3

Selecting an inverter/charger

Our previous motorhome, almost identical to the 2005 24SS (but a 1998 model) had a Heart Interface (now Xantrex) 1000W modified sine inverter/charger. It easily ran the microwave (though at reduced power), coffee pot, clothes iron (my wife sews), toaster, hair dryer, blender, waffle iron, espresso machine, lap top, TV and satellite receiver, drill, battery chargers (including a 12 volt, 8 amp unit). The big items were only one at a time, of course

Since I want to run all the same things, I'm tempted to get a similar unit, as the 1000W modified sine units are cheaper and smaller (easier to install). Over the 16 years I had the other motorhome, I was able to run everything I wanted, so a sine wave unit would not seem to provide any benefit, but are also bigger and more costly.

Currently, I'm installing a new battery tray that can hold 4 batteries, but I'll use either two 6 volt golf cart units, or three 12 volt units. That will give me 225 to 360 amp hours (I had 225 in the old motorhome).

The RAMSOND units are inverters only; I want an inverter/charger, as the present charger does not charge very fast. Magnum makes one that seems attractive: 1200 watts continuous output, 70 amp charger, 20 amp transfer relay.

http://magnumenergy.com/wp-content/u...sheet_revd.pdf

I'd prefer a sine wave unit, of course, but it's advantages aren't compelling. The added cost isn't as big a factor for me as squeezing it into a place near the battery.
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote