Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #21

hands down the honda crv, one of only a few cars that can do it, check with honda, then check for used ones at car max or auto trader usually at a fair price, personally i prefer the tow master dolly as i stated in another post, most any front wheel drive small car can be used on it, always check with car dealer , since i lease my cars the tow dolly makes more sense, no special wiring, no tow bars to change, i don't see any advantage to 4 down except you wear 4 tires out, also towing on a dolly usually does not register mileage
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #22

Walkingeagle... Not sure I follow that last comment. Even with a dolly you are towing with 4 wheels on the ground? It seems like some of the campgrounds I go to the dolly would always be in the way, and for sure it would be at home.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #23

tom the dolly tows with 2 back wheels on ground only, as far as storage we slide it under the back of motorhome when in campgrounds or at home works great, i did not like the idea of a dolly either but we have been doing it for several years and thosands of miles and we think it works great, again can only use on front wheel drive cars,check with vechicle mfg, we got all our info from some race car friends who haul their cars to races, check master tow site, ask for george if you have any concerns
Old 11-15-2014, 01:09 AM   #24

Walkingeagle, yea, I did understand about the dolly, and was just making a cheesy comment about only having two wheels on the ground. I just had never seen a dolly that didn't also have wheels. I frequently get myself in situations where I have to "back out". I would think I would learn one day not to do that. Towing 4 down I can quickly disconnect the toad, wife gets in and drives it out and I back out the RV. Not sure how that would work if I had to deal with a dolly.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:03 AM   #25

My neighbor told me that the trick to backing up with the toad is to put the motorhome in reverse or netural i forget. he has his wife behing the wheel of the motorhome. While he gets in the toad and throws it in reverse to pull the motorhome. Ive never seen it done and i dont tow with my motorhome. But if you get youself in a bad situation it might be wirth a try.
He has a diesel pusher and tows a small pickup.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #26

actually we use the dolly because we have 3 different cars we tow for various reasons and since i am cheap do not want to rig each car for towing and rewiring, the dolly is prewired and we use a set of magnetic lights on the roof of toad, plus side of the dolly and certainly not intended is everyone borrows it for some reason or another, my son in law just used to tow a vintage jeep from la to vegas