Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #1

Canada Eh?

So I'm leaving to go camping at Higley Flow State Park in upstate New York this weekend. I just found out from my MIL that her brother is having a pig roast across the border in Ontario. My plan would be to tow to the party and then set up at camp back in the US after since my campsite isn't available until 3pm. Here's the question: How do you cross the border with a TT?

I think we would be crossing into Cornwall, ON. Is it a big deal? Plus we will have food in the trailer, like meats, milk, produce, beer. My kids (7/4/1) don't have passports. I'd appreciate some feedback if you've been across the border for camping, especially with kids.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #2

We crossed at Niagara Falls several years ago with a PUP, we did have passports and shot records for the dog. But they kept asking our DD if we were her parents. She must have been asked at least 4 different ways, just to make sure she was ours. I guess they must had issues back then. They never even opened the door of the PUP.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

I don't think you can get into Canada, or may even have problems getting back in the USA without passports. You should contact the proper authorities to check ahead of time.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #4

Save yourself some [maybe a lot] time and potential grief and drop your TT at the CG before you travel across the border. Most CG's have a staging area where you can leave your unit until you can occupy the site.

I am not a fan [sorry fellow campers from N of the border] of traveling into Canada. We in the lower 48 seem to welcome our northern friends with open arms and we have met them in just about every CG we have visited included the State Park near N falls. Unfortunately I have not seen the same welcome mat for US citizens traveling into Canada. After our last trip to Alaska via a flight to Anchorage, we talked about volunteering as a mule to transport a new RV from Elkhart In to the rental company in Anchorage. They will work you a pretty good deal since they are saving $$ not having to ship the RV. When I did some research into what all was involved, the arrangement with the rental co was the easy part. You can read volumes of comments and difficult experiences from people who have traveled N across the border for a vacation or a trip like we were considering. The rules, regs about what you CAN'T take into Canada with stern warnings about not following them seemed to overwhelm us.

Leave the RV on the US side and just do a day trip to the get to gether.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #5

As a Canadian who just crossed the border to do some camping in the US a few weeks ago with our new trailer, I did a bunch of research on what we could take and how to prepare for this trip. I found that the US was quite a bit more strick about what we could and couldn't cross the border with. For example, when entering the US, you can't take meat, dairy, potatoes, citrus, tomtatoes, most fruit, certain dog foods, the list goes on. Whereas, coming into Canada, you are allowed certain amounts of most of these things. For our kids in both directions, a birth certificate was enough and the dog had her rabies papers and dog tag. Alcohol can also be a problem, you'll have to declare that you have it when you declare your food and then you risk having it taken away (in either direction). We didn't have any problems in either direction but if you don't have to take your trailer, I wouldn't for just one day. Searches can be random which means that if you are the lucky one, you will have to wait while customs does a search of your trailer.

Certainly don't let the border stop you from camping in Canada though. We had great experiences with both the US and Canadian border officers and Canada is a beaufitful country to explore with amazing campgrounds (especially the National Parks).
Hitch girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #6

I'm sorry Bassdog, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of US tourists pass through our area of Canada every year by road and who obviously cross the border without any problems. And we met many of them on our recent trip with our RV who had nothing but wonderful things to say about their experience RVing in Canada. (Other than commenting on the cost of gas, which unfortunately, is more expensive in Canada! LOL)

Also, as someone who has also visited the USA and entered by road and air many, many times, I agree with Hitchgirl that there are far more restrictions on what one can take into the USA than what one can take into Canada.

But for one day, I wouldn't bother taking the trailer across the border. You should still check on the rules for passports for both entering Canada and getting back into the USA. Good Luck.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #7

Pretty sure a passport is required for each and every person crossing the border, no matter whether it's going north or south. If you have a dog, coming into Canada from the States, it must have proof of a rabies shot, bit it can be done the day before, whereas if you are crossing from Canada to the US, it has to have been given 30 days in advance. We are currently waiting out the 30 days so we can cross over to the States with our 2 mutts. As for US travelers in Canada...we must be doing something right, 'cause there sure are plenty of them here! This spring, we took our ancient South Park TT up to our trapline to permanently set it up on our property. Before we could haul it onto our land, we had to wait for a swampy area in the driveway to dry up. We camped on the side of the Cassiar Highway, also known as Highway 37, which is one of the 2 routes to the Yukon and on to Akaska. My son and I enjoyed waving to passing rigs, mostly from the States, and watched with huge grins on our faces as they slowed down or stopped completely to observe our resident bear as he munched early dandelions on the side of the road. We were amazed at how many US rigs were on the road each day.

2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 31BHDS
2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Crew Cab/ Short Box
Little Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #8

So I looked into the passport issue and looks like kids under 16 don't need them, just a copy of their birth certificate.

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fil..._factsheet.pdf

Looks like Canada is similar.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...v-eng.html#_s3

Not so easy to find info on the camper.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #9

WOW!! Looking at what you have to go through to cross our northern borders...

If only our government could secure our southern borders, just imagine.....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #10

Things have certainly changed since 9/11. We are actively seeking our first RV, but in 1995 took a rented motorhome across the border at Niagara, NY. No passports. We just pulled up to the customs drive-thru. I recall being asked how many were in the RV (me, wife and two small kids), purpose of the visit (vacation), where we were going (just roaming about), how long we planned on staying (a few days), and if we had any firearms on board (nope).

And all the Canadians we met were very friendly and welcoming. Most were amused/intrigued by my Southern accent.

We pulled into the parking lot next to Horseshoe Falls and I asked the attendant what time I had to be out before he closed. He asked if I was self-contained and when I replied, "yes," he said we were welcome to just park there for the night. It was very cool to watch the falls through the windshield that evening.

We plan on taking our soon-to-be-acquired RV back north someday. :-)
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post

Sort of makes you wonder!! Think the difference is that most folks at the Northern border are in good health and have $$'s in their wallets. Getting political here so I'll leave it there.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #12

Agreed. I hope it gets figured out fairly soon, in the meantime we enjoy the great camping on both sides of that 49nt.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post

I would imagine your southern border has vastly more security then the northern border. Aside from the border crossing on the major roads there's is really endless miles of nothing. No fences, no guards, nothing except the occasion camera on a pole.

What people are talking about isn't security it's mostly pointless bureaucracy. We face the same thing from the US border guards when we enter the states. A bizarre collection of rules and questions they may or may not ask.

I like the European system better where the border is just a sign and maybe a building you stop at if you have any questions.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #14

I travel a bit for work and mostly fly, and you will need a passport for anyone 16 and over, my daughter is 10 and she has one just so we can travel easier. There are food restrictions I believe on both directions across the border, as far as alcohol if it is for your own consumption, coming to Canada is no problem.Hope this helps KiltDog and welcome to our great nation we call C eh N eh D eh.They might wonder why you are bringing a TT for one day.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
I would imagine your southern border has vastly more security then the northern border. Aside from the border crossing on the major roads there's is really endless miles of nothing. No fences, no guards, nothing except the occasion camera on a pole.

What people are talking about isn't security it's mostly pointless bureaucracy. We face the same thing from the US border guards when we enter the states. A bizarre collection of rules and questions they may or may not ask.

I like the European system better where the border is just a sign and maybe a building you stop at if you have any questions.
I dare say however, you don't have the illegal immigration problems we do though....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #16

Most Canadians are happy here and most Americans are happy there so not a lot of illegal immigrants.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #17

[I][We in the lower 48 seem to welcome our northern friends with open arms /I]

Boy! How I wish that were true! Both our gov'ts have seemed to gone a bit overboard with rules with regard to entry.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #18

Living in Michigan all my life, I've been to Canada dozens of times! We love Canada! The people of Canada are wonderful and very welcoming and willing to share their country and culture with us Americans! We even honeymooned in Montreal in hopes of seeing a hockey game at The Forum, but they were out of town when we were there. But we walked over to The Forum just to see it & take a few pictures. One of the security guys offered to take a picture of my wife & I together & struck up a conversation with us. He ended up letting us in the empty building for about a half hour to look around a bit & take some pictures! It was awesome for a couple of hockey nuts like us. Montreal has always been my #2 team just behind my beloved Detroit Red Wings. so this was very special for us. But we have numerous stories about the grand, generous hospitality of our Canadian neighbors! They're great people and, yes, they make some of the best beer on the planet, eh?

2013 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
RDUBYA448 is offline   Reply With Quote