Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #1

2005 24SS - can't fill gas tank completely

Sometimes, getting the last 5-6 gallons into my 2005 24SS is slow going, because the fuel flows in, backs up to the pump nozzle, and shuts it off. Other times, the tank will fill completely without stopping.

The difference seems to be the amount of fuel in the tank when I start pumping the fuel into it: less than 45 gallons or so, and it will fill completely; more than 45 gallons, and it will shut off early. The problem is triggered by gas station pumps that shut off at certain dollar amounts, like $75 or $100, leaving 5 to 10 gallons to go.

Is there any way to get it to fill completely, perhaps by some clever venting of the tube leading from the gas cap to the tank?
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #2

Vent from gas tank is kinked.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
Vent from gas tank is kinked.
The vent line isn't kinked, but it does have a low point in it (first picture). That might let fuel accumulate and block the vent. I used a wire tie to remove the low point (second picture), but it will be a few weeks before our next trip, so I don't know if that fixes the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
P1120175.jpg   P1120176.jpg  
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:20 PM   #4

We have this problem but we couldn’t put any gas in. The pump kept kicking off after one second. Called a local repair place and the guy told us to try a and rock the RV. So my husband leaned on it and rocked it and I was fill the tank completely. Works like a charm every time.
amhoughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:56 PM   #5

What I discovered is that there is a low point in the filler hose. The hose dips down slightly and then up into the tank...kind of acting like a P trap but not as extreme. If the pump at the station is a slower flow, then it fills no problem. But if it is fast, then it clicks.

There is also a kink in the filler hose just above where it attaches to the fuel tank. I put a hose clamp at the kink location and tightened it to round out the hose. I haven't had the opportunity yet to test it, but hopefully, it allows the fuel to flow faster into the tank.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:59 AM   #6

There's a vapor valve on top of the tank. The vent hose should lead to it. That valve allows air into the tank. If the valve is bad, it can vapor lock the tank because the air has nowhere to go.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote