Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2014, 05:37 AM   #1

Reese Goose Box

Has anybody used a Reese Goose Box on their Jayco fifth wheel?

I've read all of the warnings and such about converting a fifth wheel to a gooseneck, but this thing is endorsed by Lippert.

I've already checked my 2013 351RLTS, and it has the Lippert 1621 pin box, so this should be a direct bolt-on.

Any thoughts are welcome.

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...390&part=94622
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:53 AM   #2

I have not, but being that you are changing the entire pin box it is a far better conversion than the bolt on products that utilize the existing pin box.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #3

If it were mine, I would talk to Jayco and see if the frame design is adequate to withstand the extra stresses placed on it by the extended leverage of the gooseneck. I read about so many frame failures in the area under the bedroom that I would be hesitant to modify mine. It could void the warranty on your frame.
2013 Jayco Premier 321 RLTS w/Atwood Levelegs (now removed)
ckdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #4

A friend of mine converted his pin box to the gooseneck style. I was standing next to his camper when he pulled it forward about 5 feet and stopped. I could not believe how much the fifth wheel flexed when he stopped just from that very very slow speed. I told him about it, he got out and let me pull the unit ahead and stop, saw how much it flexed, and immediately changed it back to the original pin. I don't think most fifth wheel campers are designed for a gooseneck type hitch. That is just my opinion.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #5

over on the "Good Sam"forums lots of folks using the Reese Goose box.Been thinking about it myself after I went from gooseneck adapter to fifthwheel hitch.Only did that cause my 2012 Chevy has such a tall bed compared to my old 03 I couldnt see to hook up.I hate the "chucking" or what ever its called with my Reese hitch.
If you google "5er frame failure" per lots of posts on other forums you will find most were using regular 5er hitchs.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #6

I found a deal on a very slightly used Reese Goose Box on Craigslist near Kansas City. I've some friends heading up that way to Kansas Speedway for this weekend's Nascar race. They just met the guy and made the purchase for me. $575.

I'll be using it for my next trip, but I'll first have to get a couple of friends over to help me lift in place to get it installed.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I found a deal on a very slightly used Reese Goose Box on Craigslist near Kansas City. I've some friends heading up that way to Kansas Speedway for this weekend's Nascar race. They just met the guy and made the purchase for me. $575.

I'll be using it for my next trip, but I'll first have to get a couple of friends over to help me lift in place to get it installed.

Its been 4 months since you posted this. I was wandering if you was able to install the goose box and what you think about it. I just installed a flip over ball goose neck hitch in my TV. And when we upgrade sometime in the next year to a 5r I will be getting a goose box.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #8

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
The Reese goose box is different from all the gooseneck adapters that are out there up to now. The goose box is designed so that it puts no more stress on the chassis than a traditional pinbox. Go to YouTube and watch a few videos on it.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

I never installed the goosebox on my camper. After getting it in hand and measuring everything, I decided it wouldn't work correctly with my gooseneck setup. I didn't think I could ever get the height of the trailer correct.

I bought an Andersen ultimate fifth wheel connection, and I am pleased with that.

My goosebox is for sale if you are interested. I am located in northeast Texas.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #10

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I never installed the goosebox on my camper. After getting it in hand and measuring everything, I decided it wouldn't work correctly with my gooseneck setup. I didn't think I could ever get the height of the trailer correct.

I bought an Andersen ultimate fifth wheel connection, and I am pleased with that.

My goosebox is for sale if you are interested. I am located in northeast Texas.
Wow, If you were using the B&W turnover ball hitch they have a hitch ball with a longer shaft available. I would have thought that you could get a hitch ball of various heights from most manufacturers.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
Wow, If you were using the B&W turnover ball hitch they have a hitch ball with a longer shaft available. I would have thought that you could get a hitch ball of various heights from most manufacturers.

Steve

My truck doesn't have the B&W. It's a '96 model and I bought it in 2000. IT had the hitch on it when I bought it. I'm not sure the B&W was available when this truck was new. It's got some kind of a fold down ball from Hidden Hitch. No adjustability.

If I ever have to buy a hitch for a truck, it will definitely be the B&W.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #12

Hi ,was wondering if you still have Reese goose box for sale ,I know it's and old post
Ccmacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #13

Yes, I still have the Reese Goosebox for sale.