Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #21

Trigger start propane torch is a must-have for camping. Another handy item is a 3 foot long or so chunk of 3/8" polyureathane or nylon tubing. You blow on one end and point the discharge end on your tinder pile and soon you'll have a roaring blaze. For those really stubborn fires I use an old hair dryer and a chunk of 2" aluminum tubing from an old pool ladder. You talk about a blast furnace when we break that out!!! WOW!!
Old 02-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #22

I have my own little recipe... I buy the little fire starter bricks.... throw them on a some curled up paper and stack the wood on top and that's it... I let it catch!

I also stopped buying (whenever possible) firewood directly from the campground... it's always too expensive and too humid!!!! I instead stock up on construction wood... plain 2x4, 2x6 etc that I cut to about 16-18" long. Wood pallets also make good firewood... they are lighter to carry around, dry, way less of a mess and burn quickly....
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa03 View Post
I have my own little recipe... I buy the little fire starter bricks.... throw them on a some curled up paper and stack the wood on top and that's it... I let it catch!

Nothin' like the "KISS" way of doing things!!

I also stopped buying (whenever possible) firewood directly from the campground... it's always too expensive and too humid!!!! I instead stock up on construction wood... plain 2x4, 2x6 etc that I cut to about 16-18" long. Wood pallets also make good firewood... they are lighter to carry around, dry, way less of a mess and burn quickly....
Down here where I live (Indiana), the DNR imposed a ban on firewood entering state parks due to the wood borer. Campers are not allowed to bring in their own firewood unless it has a State Firewood Compliance Stamp. So there are times when buying from the CG is our only alternative! Either that or make sure where we get our firewood from has the stamp. I actually saw a camper having to unload the back of his pick-up, loaded with wood he brought in because it didn't meet the guidelines. I kinda felt bad for the guy.....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #24

One we saw when we were camping with friends was to put cedar shavings in a Dixie cup and melt paraffin wax over top. Just light them and add kindling. We are going to try it. She used cedar shavings from a pet store that you would use for gerbil or hamster cages.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Down here where I live (Indiana), the DNR imposed a ban on firewood entering state parks due to the wood borer. Campers are not allowed to bring in their own firewood unless it has a State Firewood Compliance Stamp. So there are times when buying from the CG is our only alternative! Either that or make sure where we get our firewood from has the stamp. I actually saw a camper having to unload the back of his pick-up, loaded with wood he brought in because it didn't meet the guidelines. I kinda felt bad for the guy.....

Exactly why I stopped looking for real firewood (that I used to carry around).... but then the campground wood is like ****, wet, rotten..not really good

But you won,t have any problem with construction wood or wood pallet! At least not around here
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #26

This thread got me curious. My wife collects tp rolls for crafts and I have been collecting dryer lint to us as fire starter. The lint works well but you have to use a lot of kindling. I cut a tp roll in half, stuffed it with dryer lint and dipped the ends in some candle wax. Took it out the the fire pit and lit it. It was about 23 out and the wind was blowing pretty good. Once the starter got going the wind didn't' affect it at all. I even had a hard time blowing it out after 10 minutes and it was still going strong. So i made about 10 more of them and put them in a ziplock bag and tossed them in the camper. It cost me nothing and will hopefully make our first trip of the season in a few weeks much easier. We will see.
jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #27
Site Team

I have been using old cereal boxes and small emptys from pkg'd food. Layered them. They are easy and useful.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #28
Site Team

I tried one of mine and found I need to refine some. Seems I need more air holes to allow combustion inside. Maybe tonites fire will be better.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #29

Saw this article, so I thought I would revive the thread for it..

http://lifehacker.com/recycle-wine-c...8Lifehacker%29

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #30

Being an OLD radio man I ended up with several cases of TELETYPE ROLLs. Those lasted for many camping trips. The rolls have a oil content to them so it would give off a blueish color when burning...

I just use small fallen sticks from the camp site and start them with one stick of STRIKE-A-FIRE. Coleman brand available in WALMART stores.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #31

Chainsaw, splitting maul, pine needles and some diesel. A paper plate under everything so diesel doesn't soak into ground.

Propane fire pit for later in summer when the fire ban starts.
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post

It's cheaper to buy economy 2 x 4's that are kiln dried than to buy the fresh cut crap from the Indiana State Park. I bring along a skilsaw with my pile of econo-studs then cut my own right on the tailgate.

The import ban in Indiana does more to stuff the state coffers than it does to stop the Emerald Ash Borer...they can fly you know!!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:11 AM   #33

I get wood shavings from a local cabinet shop but you can get them from the local High School shop as well. I melt candle wax you can get from Michael s crafts stores and soak the shavings in the wax and fill the an egg carton with the shavings and they cool hard and work great for starting fires.
knuts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:42 AM   #34

I use Fat Wood. I've been using it for years in my wood burning stove. It's natural and pretty inexpensive. A 5 lb box will last me for 3 seasons of heating. It is pine from thes stumps of dead standing pines (I don't know what variety). The sap settles in the stump. They smell like pine sol or turpentine The box says to use 2 sticks, but I split them up into 4 pieces and only use what I need. They are small light and repel moisture due to all the sap.

Anyone tried the top down method? I read this at woodheat.org

http://www.woodheat.org/top-down-fever.html

you put the larger pieces at the bottom and smaller pieces as you stack up the wood. Then just 1 piece of cruppled up newspaper at the top. If you do it right the fire starts nice and even with very little smoke. Take it as a challenge if you have dry wood and have fun with it.

Starting the fire is half the fun! Enjoy the challenge of starting it any way you can.

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:00 AM   #35

My best fire starter is the drink holders from the chain restaurants. Put two of them together, pile on a little kindling and your golden.
1993 Starcraft Popup sold

2001 Chev 3500 Dually Ext Cab 4x4 8.1l
Aceffemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #36

A little more expensive I guess but we keep a box of fireplace logs in our unit. Throw one of those on the bottom and put the real logs all around. Light it up and the log will burn for a couple hours making sure any logs you put on there will catch and burn. I'm just lazy!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
A little more expensive I guess but we keep a box of fireplace logs in our unit. Throw one of those on the bottom and put the real logs all around. Light it up and the log will burn for a couple hours making sure any logs you put on there will catch and burn. I'm just lazy!
Nah, not "lazy", "efficient". I keep a couple of these in my "fire box" just for that purpose. And if we're not that interested in having an all-night fire, they only last 3 hrs on their own and there are no embers to worry about when it's time to pack it in.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote