Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #1

Camp Hatteras

Heading to camp hatteras for the first time and just wanted to know other than the Ocean / Beach stuff what else is their to do so i can keep my kids entertained. Is their a fishing pier or crabbing clamming on the sound side. Can i bring a small inflatable boat their. I dont know anything about the sound just wondering if it is like the chesapeake bay. Thanks
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:44 AM   #2

Greyhawk01,

We went there last year and had a blast. Between the swimming pools and the beach, my kids were completely entertained. There is also a tennis court, mini-golf and 2 ponds (if I recall) for fishing. Right next door was an ice cream/fudge store that became a daily after-dinner walk for us.

You can also rent cars there to get access to the town. (Not on property - they deliver them to you so call early. I wish I had known this before I got there).

As to your questions, I don't remember a fishing pier but there are some ponds on Hattaras grounds. Also, the Hattaras sound side was elevated above the water (maybe a 3 foot "cliff"). But immediately next door just up the road was a boat launch to the sound side that may work for you.

Hopefully someone will chime in with their experiences.
Hope this helps at least a little,
Kris
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:04 AM   #3

Thanks for the info i will look in car rental
Old 07-17-2014, 05:12 AM   #4

There isn't a fishing pier on premises but the CG does have soundfront access. However, that access is also used for kayaking and windsurfing/kite boarding, so that may limit the crabbing opportunities. Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
Site Team

Just be careful. You have to cross NC-12 to reach the sound side of the campground. Being the major road on Hatteras Island, it's very busy. I wouldn't let children cross on their own.

Unless there have been storms, Pamlico Sound is a lot calmer (like the Chesapeake Bay) than the ocean side.

Bring lots of mosquito repellent and your own shade as the campsites are mainly in the open.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #6

Take a ride to Ocracoke island. Neat village
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #7

Keep the mosquito repellent with you because you can be fooled by the wind and think you don't need it. On the sound side when the wind dies down you will need it. Surf fishing is very good on the ocean side and unless there is a storm out at sea the waves are such that you don't really need 10-12 foot rods.

The tide currents can be strong in the sound. I Kayak it a few times a year and I am always thinking about the tides and make my plans based on changes in the tide. I use the tide to help with the work of moving the Kayak where I intend to go. I would not suggest any kind of boat other than a Kayak or something with a motor and some experience with tidal waters.

On the expensive side of things you can do a half day inshore fishing trip out of Hatteras and have a great time catching some fish.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #8

Thanks again for the great info since my kids are very young and we are staying on the ocean side ill leave the small boat home and rent a car to explore OBX. Also when i booked the stay they stated camp fires needed to be a foot off the ground im assuming i need to bring my own fire pit maybe?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
Site Team

I never had a campfire there because at this time of year the heat, humidity and mosquitoes are so oppressive. I haven't been to Camp Hatteras (or the Outer Banks) in quite a while, but when I camped there, many, if not all of the sites had a charcoal grill if you wanted to cook outdoors.

Unfortunately, the recent visit from Hurricane Arthur impacted the operation of some of the attractions, including one of my favorites- the Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station. It's only about a mile-and-a-half north from Camp Hatteras on NC-12.

You'll have to check first to see if they're back in operation, but If you go there on a Thursday, they do a "Beach Apparatus Drill" where they do a reenactment of a rescue using a breeches buoy. Children will find this especially interesting. See their website, though, for current information as to if and when they'll be open again. This demonstration is very popular and they recommend that you be there by 1:30 PM. However, I recommend even earlier as the parking lot can fill up quickly; especially if the weather is good.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:50 AM   #10

I specifically bought a portable folding fire pit for this trip - and never used it. It was very windy while we were there.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #11

Would you recommend bringing bikes here to get around or should i just leave them home
Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 AM   #12

Absolutely bring your bikes. Its a fairly large place. And I believe you said you are on the sound side, so you will be heading to the ocean side often.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #13

We ride road bikes on Highway 12 after labor day. But we don't ride them in the summer and never on weekends. You can use bikes to get around the camp ground. The best way to get around the banks in summer is in an air conditioned auto, it's much safer and way less windy. There is plenty to see and do on the outer-banks but you will be amazed at how much you drive out there, it's a long way from one thing to the next.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
Site Team

I never considered the Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo area as being "bike friendly" but maybe things have changed since my last visit. There are some paths and trails in various spots, but how good they are for biking, I don't know as I've never biked there.

Once you're out of Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo, NC-12 is the only road and a 55mph zone. The road's pavement (berm) at Camp Hatteras extends a up to a few feet beyond the marked travel lanes. I've seen folks ride bikes (and walk, myself included) on the berm, but there's little "margin for error" which makes it easy for you and/or a vehicle to accidentally drift into the others path at the wrong time. Beyond the berm is often very soft sand that is known to have swallowed many an unsuspecting visitor's car up to its axles. A word to the wise- be careful if you have leave the hard surface. Also watch for sand that has been blown onto the road as it can create a dangerous skidding situation similar to hydroplaning. During storms, water on the roads is a problem too because there are few places for it to drain.

From the Camp Hatteras, the closest towns with a full service grocery store (like a Food Lion) will require a ride of about 25 miles south to Avon or north to Nags Head. It's all federally owned land (Cape Hatteras National Seashore) between Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo and either Avon or Nags Head so there is no commercial development except for the marina at the north end of the Herbert C Bonner bridge. Therefore I suggest you bring with you the food you'll need for your entire stay as there are only "mom & Pop's" and convenience stores near the campground. Of course, if you only have a short list, it's better to buy local and pay the price than make a 50 mile round trip that will take up about two hours of your precious time.

If you need something camping related, take a walk down the beach (it's safer) to the Cape Hatteras KOA's camp store. It's bigger and historically, is better stocked than the one at Camp Hatteras.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:30 AM   #15

I also share the sentiment of Mike and FPM. Bikes are good for getting around the park, not so much for getting around town. I should have mentioned that in my post.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #16

Bikes are good for the campground as well as the villages. They have installed a sidwalk that runs parallel to 12 over the last couple of years b. ut it can also be crowded. They also have lots of fun activities for kids to do such as arts and crafts that my 4 and 2 year olds love. The pier is a short walk from the campground and they have rod and reel rentals.
roccoecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #17

The National Seashore has fun, and free Ranger led activities for kids just about every day in the summer. I would give them a call or check the website. If you head down to the National Seashore eat at Buxton Munch. Great food and great prices! A real taste of Cape Hatteras.
livelylittlecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #18

If you haven't already left, there is Kitty Hawk, Naggs Head, Kill Devil Hills, Fort Raleigh and The Lost Colony outdoor drama (maybe) on Roanoke Island, several lighthouses and a number of good places to eat, especially of you are a DDD fan.
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote