Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #1

Buy from one dealer - warranty service at another?

I'm looking to buy my Precept at an out of state dealer but will need to have WARRANTY work done by a local dealer.

Does that work? Wondering if I will lose priority or attention by the servicing dealer for WARRANTY work since I didn't buy from them. I know it depends on the servicing dealer but am wondering in general if that has become a problem for anyone.

Thank you,

McGarrett50
Hopeful Jayco Owner-to-be
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #2

Found this is on my local Jayco dealer's website:

http://www.vansrv.com/content/category/16

I'd call the local guy and ask. They may even offer to match your deal.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #3

I bought our camper through RV Direct and have had ZERO problems with warranty work from my local dealer. I figure if they treat me right I will continue to do business with them. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing business with a dealer that turned away warranty work.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #4

So much more to go wrong in a motorhome than a towable. However not many RV dealerships I know of are tackling warranty work on the power train/chassis -- that is often referred to manufactures of the power train, which in the case of a Precept is Ford.

For me it would come down to how much is the savings and how handy are you to make small fixes yourself. I am confident if you had a major issue; transmission, engine, etc a local dealer wouldn't handle that anyway so it wouldn't matter where you purchased.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #5

With Precept all Jayco dealers will not service Warrenty work. Don't assume all Ford dealers can do warrenty work as well. If gas tank has to be dropped you will need a 'FORD TRUCK' dealer because of required equipment.
chuck0799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #6

I doubt you'll have any problems getting warranty work done at any Jayco dealer anywhere. As dealers, they are obligated to do that work. They aren't doing it for nothing. They get paid for their work by Jayco and they make more money doing repair work than they do selling the products. They're just like automobile dealers in that respect. That being said, KILTDOG is right when he suggested you should contact your local dealer and see if he wants to at least match the deal you got out of state. Good luck!!
chuckandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #7

Many dealers will prioritize their own customers ahead of locals who bought in other areas.. but if your traveling and have a problem I have found the dealers are good for trying to fit you in asap.. (not always but often)
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckandcindy View Post
I doubt you'll have any problems getting warranty work done at any Jayco dealer anywhere. As dealers, they are obligated to do that work. They aren't doing it for nothing. They get paid for their work by Jayco and they make more money doing repair work than they do selling the products. They're just like automobile dealers in that respect. That being said, KILTDOG is right when he suggested you should contact your local dealer and see if he wants to at least match the deal you got out of state. Good luck!!
They are not obligated since they are not franchised like automobile dealers. Also not all JAYCO dealers sell motorized. As Seann45 said many dealers do prioritize and if they are buried under their own customers it will be a long time before they even get you in the door.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #9

I purchased from a dealer quite always from home. And have used a more local dealer for warranty work. Have had ZERO problems doing this. The servicing dealer is Canopy Country in Ellensburg and I will probably go there for my next RV and may be willing to pay slightly more just to do business with them.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #10

Everybody's right. The situation depends on whether or not the dealer needs the repairs; they don't refuse you because they don't like you. Some are glad to see you and others will refuse the work - all based on availability.

I never liked the idea of taking care of their own customers first, but I would be more upset if my dealer refused me because they were taking care of non-customers. A LARGE, FULLY STAFFED, and COMPETENT service department is a good thing.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #11

We bought a 238rb in Sept. We are taking it back to the dealer where we bought it 150 miles away for a few minor repairs. The closest dealer said they only do warranty repairs on units they didn't sell in Dec and Jan if they have time available. Guess where we won't be buying our next one. It was worth the 150 miles to save $4000.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #12

I had the same problem. I was not outright rejected but was told it would be a long wait.
I'd say the best thing a person could do is get that internet price and take it to a local dealer. I bet they will match it or come pretty darn close. Then, you've got the best of both worlds.
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #13

I believe in most dealerships the Sales and repair departments are different profit centers... so it is to the repair shops advantage to take on the work weather or not it was purchased at the dealer. If it is warranty work they get paid the same no matter where the coach was purchased and if I was told that my unit would not be serviced because I bought from them 1. I would not buy from them 2. everyone that asks about my unit and even thought about buying one I'd tell that person not to use the dealer that refused the work... when he starts to loose more sales he will figure it out...And I would have no problem in sending him a letter to that fact and I would copy the head of Jayco Sales/Marketing as well the head of customer service/warranty Jayco can not afford to have dealers turn away repairs... they may tout the independent dealers choice but I would quickly remind them it is a stain on the Brand.... far bigger than you think... Just look at how many folks here are looking at these post... It works... may take some time.... but it works!
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #14

I spoke with Jayco Warranty department. They told me that they do not require that their dealers service all units. The dealers are allowed to refuse to service units not purchased from them. This policy is to cut down on the "internet" sales of RVs. There are many dealers that sell for a small profit on a large RV knowing that they don't have to take care of any of the service issues or take on any risk in the deal. That's how they can sell so inexpensively. Both the local dealers to me sell their new Seneca units $25,000 - $40,000 more than the internet dealers. I spoke with the owner. He's a nice guy but bottom line he is in business to make money. As long as people with spend the extra $30,000 for a motorhome locally he will continue to sell them at that large markup. The internet dealers do have fantastic pricing however if you have a trade-in you have a major problem. Most internet dealers do take trades however they will only give you pennies on the dollar. For example a local dealer was willing to give me $70,000 for my trade however a large internet dealer in Texas was only willing to give me $30,000 less which is well under wholesale book. If we can privately sell our rig locally and then purchase from out of state you can get a screaming deal. The only caveat is you are on your own getting service. You may be able to get some service if you are reasonable and take the out of state dealer license plate covers off. The other consideration has to do with state lemon law coverage. If you purchase out of state in many states you lose all protection from state lemon laws. I would use internet pricing to pressure the local dealer to be more reasonable however if it is a popular unit don't expect to get closer than about $10 more than the internet dealer.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
precept, service, warranty