Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2014, 05:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
I will have to check those weights again on the door sticker , But from the sound of it , It look's like all I can tow with this 1/2 ton truck is a pop up TT
I went through this exact same thing. Check the sticker and go to a cat scale and get weighed then you know where you r at
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #22

My wife and I are in the market for a new TT. We had the choice narrowed to the 28DSBH but I have had some reservations on the weight. We we out camping this weekend with our pop up and I knew there was a CAT scale on the way home. Information below:

2014 Silverado 1500 CC short (5.7) bed
5.3 4X4 Z71

Payload 1743 per the sticker in the door
GVWR 7200
GCWR 15000
FGAWR 3950
RGAWR 3950

Had me, the wife, 6 yr old, 4 yr old, small dog in the cab. All our gear was in the bed (Friday evening - Sunday morning local state park trip). Fleetwood Yuma 14' pop up connected. I only weighed once so the numbers below are with the trailer (no WDH).

CAT scale #s
Steer axle - 3460
Drive axle - 2980
Trailer axle - 1640
Gross wt - 8080

I don't see an issue with the front axle or the gross combined wt when considering the DSBH. The rear axle weight would likely be close even with a WDH. My concern, as this is a half ton, is the payload. With the DSBH being pretty easily 900# on the tongue this puts me too close for comfort. With a small pop up the truck weighs 6440 pounds leaving only 760 pounds to max it out. I do feel the truck is capable but I'm not interested in maxing it out every time I connect the TT.

So, for us this was an eye opening trip to the scale. We are not moving forward with the DSBH. Most of our camping will be local state parks but we will be doing one 8-10 day trip each year from suburban Chicago. Places like Smoky Mountains, Mt. Rushmore, etc. Those are the trips that concern me. Not trying to sway anyone either way or force my opinion. Just wanted to share our results and thought process.
RJC1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC1024 View Post

Had me, the wife, 6 yr old, 4 yr old, small dog in the cab. All our gear was in the bed

. With the DSBH being pretty easily 900# on the tongue this puts me too close for comfort. With a small pop up the truck weighs 6440 pounds leaving only 760 pounds to max it out. I do feel the truck is capable but I'm not interested in maxing it out every time I connect the TT.

So, for us this was an eye opening trip to the scale. We are not moving forward with the DSBH. Most of our camping will be local state parks but we will be doing one 8-10 day trip each year from suburban Chicago. Places like Smoky Mountains, Mt. Rushmore, etc. Those are the trips that concern me. Not trying to sway anyone either way or force my opinion. Just wanted to share our results and thought process.

Your truck could haul that WH with no problem.

You likely had a bunch of stuff in the box that couldn't go in the pup but maybe could in the WH which will lower your payload a lot

I personally don't believe you would be "maxing' out your 2014 but that is your choice. Lots of great trailers out there that are smaller like mine that are perfect for a family like yours
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #24

I actually think you would be ok....my ram had 1061lbs payload per the door...that is a long way from your truck. That's a pretty hefty payload for a half ton
Old 09-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #25

My drive axle weight in at #3760 last time I was at CAT scale. I was #100 over my GVWR My tongue weight was about #1000 with spring bars hooked up. This is about 15% of total trailer loaded weight

All my other weight parameters are well under max.

I think my 27DSRL tends to be fairly tongue heavy because most of the storage is forward of the trailer axles; particularly with the up front fridge and large pass thru at the front.

My trailer tows great with my Tundra, no sway. I try not to go over 65 mph.

I think your truck will pull the trailer you are looking at just fine.

It helps greatly that you are aware of all these issues regarding weight.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #26

We pull our 2014 Whitehawk 28DSBH with our 2013 Tahoe (Tow package with integrated brake controller). We're using a Blue OX WDH. The Tahoe strains somewhat up steep inclines, but on level ground I sometimes forget that we're even towing a trailer at 65 MPH.
cppeekskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #27
Lost in the Woods

I pull an 11,000 lb 39' Jayco Eagle 338rlts with my 5.7 liter Tundra (380 hp/ 400 ft-lb torque) with the factory tow package (4.30 rear end/6 speed auto tranny) and Roadmaster suspension. I go to the North GA mountains often with no problems. The truck is a beast for a gaser. Tundras have 3/4 ton running gear except the springs hence the addition of the Roadmaster suspension. The rear end sags very little. The tranny temp stays about the same towing or not. In tow/haul mode it uses engine braking on the downgrades automatically. I drive an 18 wheeler for a living (2 million+ miles no accidents) so I might have an edge as to technique.
Attached Thumbnails
20131231_171312.jpg  
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #28

I tow a 2013 28dsbh with an 09 f150 the max tow package
Old 10-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #29

I met a guy who thought his tundra could pull anything. He was probably right..
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #30
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecampingcat View Post
I met a guy who thought his tundra could pull anything. He was probably right..
I drive a big truck for a living and tow my TT with a Tundra. I see people quite often towing rather big 5ers with Tundras. I have yet to see one turned over or broken down on the road. That being said, I would not tow anything bigger than what I have with my Tundra. My next TV will probably be a dually.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #31

I took my brand new 33BHBS on its very first trip this weekend in the rain. After I got out of the shower yesterday evening I noticed water on the floor by the rear wall next to the bed not near the bathroom. Not sure if water is from the rain or a leak in the plumbing. Has anyone else had this issue?
Oshp1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:40 AM   #32
Lost in the Woods

must be a leak from rain. The only plumbing leak that could be possible is a p trap leak on the tub but it would be wet there at the bathroom.

How much water?

Exact location?

Still raining? still leaking?

wet around slide?

Wet around rear window?
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #33

It has stopped raining and the water hasn't returned but I haven't used the tub either. The water was next to the rear wall close to the center of the trailer. It was maybe 12oz of water on the floor. It doesn't seem to be wet around the window or slide.
Oshp1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshp1479 View Post
It has stopped raining and the water hasn't returned but I haven't used the tub either. The water was next to the rear wall close to the center of the trailer. It was maybe 12oz of water on the floor. It doesn't seem to be wet around the window or slide.
I had a similar situation in my bedroom during a rain storm. No idea where the water came from as walls,ceiling, etc were dry. Water hasn't been back since, and we've had a lot of rain since then. Thought maybe the dog had an accident, but ruled that out too.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshp1479 View Post
I've had the same issue but it's due to water running down along the backsplash and down the where the tub meets the wall, I think caulking along the bottom of the tub surround would help but the dealer said to leave it......
Old 11-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #36

I tow our 28DSBH with a 2013 F150 Ecoboost and we have no problems. We took a trip from central MN to the Blackhills this past summer and it traveled great. Our camping buddies have the same camper but he pulls it with a 2014 Ram and does fine as well. You'll hear alot of people telling you that you HAVE to tow with a bigger truck, but alot of us don't want a 3/4 ton for our daily drivers. You'll always have tradeoffs.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #37

No doubt your F150 has the payload to handle the 28dsbh...they consistently have several hundred lbs more payload than Rams. If your buddy has a 1500 Ram, unless it is a stripped down model, he is way over his payload. I had a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie and was on my way to the store to buy the 28dsbh until I hit a Cat scale...with family on board (3 and 6 year olds) I had 420lbs of payload left until I was over GVWR of 6800lbs..with nothing in the bed or any tongue weight to account for.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #38

Ramtrucks.com has a very eye opening towing calculator, you can type your VIN and it will tell you your exact towing figures. I have a 2012 2500 that will tow 10,500 pounds if it's only me and an empty truck. Payload is 2459 lbs. if it's just me and I am carrying my max payload then my max towing is 8,041lbs and so on and so forth. the more stuff you're carrying the less you can tow and tongue weight counts towards payload which is where i went wrong with my last TV and current trailer. I was too close for comfort even though it towed fine and felt fine.

Will a crew cab 1500 tow a lot, yes, will you be overweight and have no room for payload? Probably.

And the poster that said a WDH will allow you to tow more I question your math because total trailer weight plus payload still counts towards the GCVW regardless of how much weight is re-distributed.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdanmc View Post
Ramtrucks.com has a very eye opening towing calculator, you can type your VIN and it will tell you your exact towing figures. I have a 2012 2500 that will tow 10,500 pounds if it's only me and an empty truck. Payload is 2459 lbs. if it's just me and I am carrying my max payload then my max towing is 8,041lbs and so on and so forth. the more stuff you're carrying the less you can tow and tongue weight counts towards payload which is where i went wrong with my last TV and current trailer. I was too close for comfort even though it towed fine and felt fine.

Will a crew cab 1500 tow a lot, yes, will you be overweight and have no room for payload? Probably.

And the poster that said a WDH will allow you to tow more I question your math because total trailer weight plus payload still counts towards the GCVW regardless of how much weight is re-distributed.
+1 on that calculator from RAM. I was looking at one of the new 2500s with the 6.4L Hemi and went on there. I got to thinking maybe I could save some $$ and go with the 5.7 (good, solid engine with some history), but when I started using the slider on that truck, equipped how I planned to buy it, I quickly eliminated that possibility as it didn't have quite enough for what I wanted.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #40

I'm an obvious Ford fan, and honestly promote the EcoBoost over just about everything else in the half ton world BUT I will say there are certain EcoBoosts that are not up to the job of heavy towing. If you get yourself into a fully loaded Platinum you could see payloads under 1000lbs... However a similarly equipped Ram will be below even that, as stated above. All half tons are not created equal. Payload, gearing, transmission, and towing package are very important factors that make or break a truck as a good towing vehicle.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote