Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2015, 07:41 PM   #1

Question on Securing Items for Travel

Our past RV experience includes only motorized RVs and we recently took delivery of a 27RLS. We have never had furniture that had to be moved or secured in the past. Our dealer turned (come to find out the wrong way) our two rocker chairs prior to us leaving, but did not strap them. I found the straps after another member mentioned them. I still have to find where they attach! Is it really necessary to strap them down?

Do trailers bounce going down the road a lot more than motorized RVs? Logic tells me they would. Is there anything special I need to do with the TVs to secure them? We are installing our own TVs on wall mounts.

In the past, I have used museum putty to secure decorative items, lamps etc in the RV. I am hoping this method will still work. Also, I am putting a 36"x24" metal dog crate with fabric cover in the spot of one of the chairs in the rear. Should I expect it to move around much in travel? I don't want to tear up the walls. Any other general advice on what to strap down, place in bins, etc would be appreciated. In the drivers, if something was moving or loose, I could hear it and get up and fix it! I don't want to have any bad surprises when we get to our campsite . I will be putting in gripping shelf liner and I know to keep the cabinet interiors snug as well as put bars in the Norcold for travel.
FLGatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:04 PM   #2

It is normal for things to swing (if on a hook), shift, and slide. Clear counters before towing, tuck larger items (waste baskets) under the table, and afterwards open cabinets slowly. But then, we live in earthquake country!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #3

Keep in mind that the hitch/ball is the "anchor point" of you new TT. The further back from the hitch, the more things will move - both vertically and horizontally. I've found the 3-M Command Strips "Hook & Loop" fasteners to work really well for keeping things secure on both walls and countertops. I've also found that things like the waste basket, a hassock, and a cooler stay pretty secure under the dining table. My sofa/slide is directly across from the table, and when the slide is IN for travel, there's not a whole lot of room for them the "wander around". As for the dog crate, I'd use the straps and tie-downs for the chair to secure it in place. I sure wouldn't let the dog ride in it while towing, though! Mine rides in a hammock in the back seat of the truck.

Tow safe, and enjoy your new trailer.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:36 AM   #4
Site Team

We place the chairs back to back and secure them together with the strap They don't move.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #5

I would be surprised if anyone pulls their large trailer down a rougher road than we have between home and highway, five miles of it. The floor plan and position of slide when retracted play a part in securing our chairs. One is moved in front of the other and neither moves at all.

The dinette table pulled out its screws right away because the screw bite is very shallow as it sits on a slide. DW simply puts couch cushions on the dinette chairs so there's no place for the table to go. Those chairs are on carpet and don't wander. The TV set is secure as mounted. She also packs the cupboards tight and there are no problems there. She even has glass wine glasses in there. All this is over or behind the axles.

The front holds the bath and bedroom. The Dish receiver, hard drive (external for 211) and Tailgater are placed on the bed and surrounded with pillows. Unfortunately, jayco left a box opening for a 4:3 aspect set. I'm not sure those were still for sale in 2011. So we got the largest 16:9 that would fit and it's protected by a pillow so it won't fall out and a towel under it to reduce shock. That's it for our rig.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
But then, we live in earthquake country!
I'll take our tropical hurricanes over a quake any day. At least we have 3-4 days of warning when one of those is bearing down on us!

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #7

ours go up to the table just like you were sitting in them the chairs have a small hook on the underside of the seat and the floor has hooks in it right under the chairs ... I hook one end to the chair then the other to the floor and snap the two together with the buckle .... they should also have one cover that slips over the back of one chair on each side of the table so the backs don't rub together .... on recliners they are placed back to back close to the wall with the slip cover over one back and the strap slips over both backs as far down as you can get it .... hope this helps
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:34 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. Brownie, great idea for the hook and loop Command Strips on countertops! I use them on the walls and never thought about flat surfaces. Also, the pup would never, ever ride in the trailer . She rides in a Ruff Tough kennel strapped down in the back seat.

Our chair as well as the dog crate will both be on carpet and both have some weight, so I am hoping they will not wander. Sounds like I can probably pack as I would have on the last two rigs with maybe the exception of the chair since it rocks and might bounce in to the window treatments. I will do some experimenting and hopefully not have too many issues!
FLGatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #9

Typically large things don't move much, but I always plan for an emergency stop, when they might. For the crate for the crate for the first few trips put a blanket over it and see what happens. The blanket will protect the walls.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote