Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #1

Bike Rack Receiver for 185RB?

Just got a (slightly) used 2014 185RB and I think it's going to do quite well for us. Tonight the wife said "how will we carry our bikes now?" Good question as the receiver that usually carries the bike rack now handles the TT. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to mount a 1 1/2" receiver on the back of the 185RB?
RossCecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:26 AM   #2

Read this thread for your bike rack info.
Hope this helps.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18409
GOOD4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #3

I keep getting scared off from the bumper mount. Currently we have pit the bikes in the trailer (not ideal) or on the roof of the truck with a ratchet strap holding them in place (also not ideal).
BrettSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #4

My uncle did the bolt on bike rack with his new jayco Ended up dragging his bikes on the road for miles. There are threads on the forum that discus this, with mods. that are welded to the frame for support But with this also be careful some of these frames are so light weight now . be careful
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ight=bike+rack
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

Keep In mind that you are taking off the weight of the spare tire and its mounting bracket. We are going camping 4 days next week and three more times in next two months. I will check for bumper sag after each trip and I will post the results. Hopefully, I won't be bumperless
GOOD4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:26 AM   #6

First off, congrats on the new trailer, we hope you all enjoy it!

Second, welcome to JOF, we have found a ton of information here and the group has answered a lot of question we have had.

We are looking into adding the following hitch to the back of our trailer, is this kind of what you are looking for?

http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Tr...urt/13703.html

tedshelleykacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #7

Actually, I went with a lightweight bumper mounted hitch. I'll be carrying under 100 pounds including mount, rack, and bikes. The hitch is a simple bolt-on mount but I'm a big fan of lock washers and "Lock-Tite". I have the opportunity to do some experimentation so I will - mount with some dead weight, mount with rack alone, and mount with bikes. I'll put up some results with photos in a week or so.
RossCecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossCecil View Post
Actually, I went with a lightweight bumper mounted hitch. I'll be carrying under 100 pounds including mount, rack, and bikes. The hitch is a simple bolt-on mount but I'm a big fan of lock washers and "Lock-Tite". I have the opportunity to do some experimentation so I will - mount with some dead weight, mount with rack alone, and mount with bikes. I'll put up some results with photos in a week or so.
Hello. Old thread, but did you end up successfully mounting the bike rack? What hardware did you end up going with?
Thanks

Matt
4U2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #9

Matt,

This member hasn't been on the JOF since January. You might send him a private message.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote