Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Jayco Eagle Wardrobe slide

First: I tried to post this contribution a few minutes ago and near the end I hit the wrong button and don't know if it took. So if this is a duplication bear with me please.

We just bought a "318 RETS" Jayco Eagle. After paying for it an inconvenience surfaced.
The small wardrobe slide will not close at the top with the slide motor only. Jayco has helpfully included a "funky screw jack" which is meant to be placed on top of the slide after the slide motor has done it's best. Actuation of the jack is sort of accomplished by standing on a stool and bending an arm at an impossible angle and rotating (blind) the jack until it pulls the top of the slide completely closed. This gymnastic necessity was not discussed until we paid for the unit and prepared to take it home.
This is a very disappointing discovery in a top of the Jayco line product. My wife would not be able to close the slide, even if she were of a mind to try. It is ,to be candid, a failure of their engineering and should be taken into considering when evaluating Jayco's brag about quality. It is a third world solution to an elementary problem. Leo
leoslaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #2

Wow, that is really a step back in quality. Be interesting to hear why Jayco or is it Lippert? couldn't design a simple bedroom slide that works like 99% of the other bedroom slides being used.
Does your Eagle have a manual with it and is there anything in it about doing that procedure?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

leoslaton, Blending Old World Amish craftsmanship with innovative technology, Jayco’s mission remains unchanged It’s what separates us from other RV manufacturers!!
Jayco may well be one of the better products but it is apparent by these forums that quality control is slipping away.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #4

Every JAYCO slide that we've owned that does not have an Swintech in wall system always closes at the top first and then the bottom pulls in, including our new PINNACLE. I would be calling JAYCO first thing Monday morning. That same wardrobe slide is also used on the 306 so anybody buying that unit should also be seeing the same issues.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #5

Grumpy

We are thinking of trading our Jayco for a Starcraft. I know they are the same corproation but the Starcraft seems better built, what’s your thoughts?

ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #6

I would have to believe a lot is adjustment or something in the way of it closing or opening .... good luck figuring it out
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #7

it is fine. that specific model of slide uses a lock out at the top to finish pulling it in and holding it tight because of it not weighing enough. i have a 33rlds that uses the same slide. after i found out about it i felt the same way as you then i started looking around on the web there are lot of different company's that use that method to pull in the top and keeo it in place. but they also use that same method on some of the big slides as well . after that i quit worrying about it. if it was a slide with the bed in it. it wouldn't have the lookout.

Jayflight 2014 RLDS
2012 Ford F250 6.7 4x4
Idahoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #8

My 29BHS has the same slide lock you speak of.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahbob View Post

Grumpy

We are thinking of trading our Jayco for a Starcraft. I know they are the same corproation but the Starcraft seems better built, what’s your thoughts?

I have always found the quality to be equal. The SENECA that we just traded in gave us 6 years of basically trouble free travel, only issues were a NORCOLD door problem and a IONA transfer switch recall.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #10

IMHO, you can listen to all the hype/spin you want to and pay for the Amish quality if you choose to believe that but at the end of the day you are getting a unit that is subject to have problems. Happy camping!!! I have certainly had my share of problems with my Jayco.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #11

I have the same slide out and same issue. Has been discussed several times before.....read through this thread.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16122

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoslaton View Post
First: I tried to post this contribution a few minutes ago and near the end I hit the wrong button and don't know if it took. So if this is a duplication bear with me please.

We just bought a "318 RETS" Jayco Eagle. After paying for it an inconvenience surfaced.
The small wardrobe slide will not close at the top with the slide motor only. Jayco has helpfully included a "funky screw jack" which is meant to be placed on top of the slide after the slide motor has done it's best. Actuation of the jack is sort of accomplished by standing on a stool and bending an arm at an impossible angle and rotating (blind) the jack until it pulls the top of the slide completely closed. This gymnastic necessity was not discussed until we paid for the unit and prepared to take it home.
This is a very disappointing discovery in a top of the Jayco line product. My wife would not be able to close the slide, even if she were of a mind to try. It is ,to be candid, a failure of their engineering and should be taken into considering when evaluating Jayco's brag about quality. It is a third world solution to an elementary problem. Leo
This is one of those cases when you can please some people some of the time but you can't please everyone all the time. I'm sorry but this is just post is just a little on the dramatic side. The "funky screw jack" is in other words a "travel bar" and have been used on certain slides for years on many lines of trailers. With that said take a walk through a similar Keystone or Heartland product and then we'll talk more about Jayco's quality.Your post should be something that should be taken up with your dealer or Jayco to express your displeasure so expect to get mixed responses to your venting on a public forum.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote