Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2014, 10:55 PM   #1

Big Foot leveling

Sometimes on uneven terrain, my Big Foot system when on "auto" will lift one, sometimes two wheels off the ground in order to be level. I have had neighbor campers tell me I should put blocks under the low wheels, so all wheels are touching when level. Anyone want to respond?
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:56 AM   #2

When I had them installed on our 2001, at Big Foot's plant, they said it was not necessary and you see coaches parked that way including diesel pushers. I personally tried to avoid it and did pull up on the plastic step levels if needed. Just remember definitely never let the rear wheels come off the ground so you don't roll.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #3

I contacted Big Foot regarding the same issue. There answer was their system can take the weight, but what you lose is stability. My term for it was the MH was "on stilts" and that didn't make me comfortable; so I didn't do it. We had some overnight stays where we were "almost level", and didn't like that either.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #4

I'm afraid to ask, but what's something like that cost to have installed? I have class b which has no leveling jacks at all.
rcdurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

I just had the Big Foot auto system installed on my 2014 Redhawk. Installed by CampingWorld for $4300. My Jayco dealer wanted $5600.
Tpratt83687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdurango View Post
I'm afraid to ask, but what's something like that cost to have installed? I have class b which has no leveling jacks at all.
Also call the factory. Since your in S. Indiana it might be worth the drive to White Pigeon MI, just across the state line from Elkhart. They have elec behind the building so you can get there the night before. Took them about 3 1/2 hours to do mine in 2001.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #7

all automatic leveling systems are erratic at best, usually lift the front wheels off the ground, i use a product called utility blocks i bought from northern tool, drive front wheels up on blocks, and relevel, this works every time, keeping wheels off the ground is not a good idea at any time, stability and damage could result to jacks and the motorhome, good luck
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #8

Manual leaving jacks

I just brought a 29’ Jayco Redhawk XK, can manual leveling jacks be added and will they work and maybe an idea of cost
gman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #9

To prevent your wheels from coming off the ground try using manual level instead of auto level.

In auto it does this crazy dance back and forth until it finds it's way to level but as it lifts one side then it might go too far so it has to lift the other again and so on...you get the picture.

Solution is to use manual level and get it level without the dance and lifting wheels off the ground. Try that and I bet you will be able to keep the wheels on the ground and level the coach easier...there will still be those times it still lifts too high because the spot your at is so out and a wheel comes off but then just raise it past the level point and add a block or two under that wheel and then start over.

I hardly ever use the auto feature on my jacks and can level a lot faster and keeps it lower all the way around. Try it!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big, bigfoot, foot, jacks, level