Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
it also has a color change ie green, yellow & red to alert you of low voltage.
I use a simpler device. An incandescent light bulb. If voltages are dropping so excessively, then the light bulb dims. Bulbs changing intensity is a good indicator of changing or adverse voltages. I use a multimeter ($18 in Wal-Mart - even sold in Kmart) to put numbers to those variations.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #42

I use the portable surge guard; it allows me to check for ground problems and faulty wiring, also monitors for high and low volts (low volts being more common), and give some surge protection. I like the portable model because I believe it is safer outside the trailer and works more effcient and effective close to the pedistal. This model surge guard also has a 2 minute 16 second time delay before resetting to help protect the A/C compressor. The line voltage monitor allows me to monitor the voltage while in the trailer. I agree with most you will probably never have a problem; my dad has camped all his life with no protection other than a line Voltage monitor with no problems, but I like knowing my unit is some what protected. As far as a votage regulator, I don't know to many folks I have camped with that use them I would wait and if you are camping at alot of campgrounds that are providing low volts to your unit then consider it.

http://www.dyersonline.com/prime-pro...ty-tester.html

http://www.trci.net/products/surge-g...s/30a-portable
Old 04-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
I use the portable surge guard; it allows me to check for ground problems and faulty wiring, also monitors for high and low volts (low volts being more common), and give some surge protection.
Appreciate that they can only test and report on safety ground. Do not and cannot test for earth ground. Earth ground is only 'tested' by visual inspection.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote