Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #1

electric switch for rear jacks & wiring

I have electric rear stablizer jacks on the trailer....last fall they failed to lower on a trip....so they have been in the up position all winter....Now, I am looking to fix the problem. The motor works fine so it must be the switch.
I bought a rocker switch to replace the "broken" one.....but with the wires reattached to the "new" switch....the motor only goes in one direction regardless of the "on" position of the switch. The rocker switch was an "on--off-on"....but in both "on" positions the motor rotates the same direction.
What is the proper connection for the wires on the rocker switch to provide the appropriate raising and lowering of the electric jacks? Or do I have something else reversed?
RV4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #2

I replaced a switch on my last one with a factory replacement and it was fairly inexpensive.

I think the problem you are having is you need: On - Off - On w/reversed polarity.
2012 Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKs
AZ T&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #3

Any way to post a picture of the back of the switch, and with the wires attached? I haven't seen the switch but have an idea how it *should* work.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ T&T View Post

I think the problem you are having is you need: On - Off - On w/reversed polarity.
I think that the above is the basic issue, too. A DC motor is reversed by switching the direction of the power. It sounds like the switch you bought is a simple "On Off On" switch, but what you need is a switch that reverses the polarity at one "On" position.

I don't think this is the exact switch you need, but one that operates like it this one does in the diagram.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #5

An on-off-on switch usually has 6 connectors on the switch. Imagine the connector side of the switch like this:

|...| <-- Connect top right to bottom left and top left to bottom right.

|...| <-- Battery Power

|...| <-- Connection to the motor

The center is for hot and ground. The motor will get wired to the bottom set. Here's how you get reverse.... the top connectors simply cross to the bottom connectors by running a wire from the top right to the bottom left connector, and one from the top left to the bottom right and viola, that's how you can easily switch direction with an on-off-on type switch.

Now depending on how the wiring looks on the switch we can go from there.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #6

I will attempt to get photo....most likely this weekend before I can post...yes, there are six poles on the back of the "on-off-on" switch. I thought I had done the white and red wires on one side and then reversed (top and bottom) on the other end of the switch, but maybe I missed that.
Thanks for feedback....maybe I didn't purchase the proper switch. It was bought special order thru ACE Hardware.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #7

This switch went bad on my unit last year and was replaced under warranty. There are 6 spade connectors on the back of the rocker and it is a moment switch (think that's the term) not a locking switch which could blow your motor should you leave it in either position too long.

There are three wires with a jumper wire. I would call Jayco directly of your dealer to buy the specific one. Can't be that much and it's a simple fix.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

well thanks all for the feedback.....father-in-law and I tried to wire it and melted some wires....somehting got "HOT" and melted the white wires....so it will be off to the repair shop or I know an electrician who may or may not know much about RV's and the 12 volt system.....so I will get it fixed one way or another...but something tells me it will cost me more than a case of beer.....which is what I promised the father-in-law.