Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #21

Just returned from our second road trip of the season, first was 240 round trip, second was 650 or so. Our 05 Designer has Goodyear 235/80/16 Marathons, with date code of 1109. After parking and unpacking, I notice one of the tires has a very curved thread pattern, much like a motorcycle tire. Other than this is looks perfectly good. I guess I will bite the bullet, and buy a set of 235/80/16 Gladiator's.

Thought long and hard about switching to LT's, My rv dealer advised against it with a nod, and two it tows absolutely perfect. My tire guys tells me the Gladiators have been superb, for the trailer market. I don't have issues running tires from over seas, just as long as they perform as advertised.

My truck runs Toyo, My Crossover also runs Toyo. They are quiet, smooth, and have grip in all weather. Just maybe I can get more than 3 years out of a set of tires. I tow an average of 4000 miles a summer, and meet the occasional pot hole.
SLEEKCRAFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Whatever you decide on, get that "curved" tire off before you move it very far. Without seeing it, it sounds like you have belts failing and it won't be long until self-destruction.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #23

Tires are truly an interesting topic on all RV forums I’ve visited and always instigate discussion/argument. I’m now convinced there are as many opinions regarding tires as there are members on the forum and tire brands. It is like the old topic of: Which is best, Ford or Chevy? One gets thousands of opinions and no tested facts plus one will never change the OPINION of the other.

I had the opportunity recently to visit with a relative regarding this very topic, camper/RV tires. This relative spends most of each year traveling, towing, and living in his 5er. Because he lives in the RV for months on end, he has made modifications to it which added weight.

I thought I would broach the topic with him and get his OPINION and tap into his experience with the subject. He stated that in all his travel, he has had one blow-out. (Caused by hitting an object on the road)

To paraphrase his statement, RV tires are like all other things, one can put as much money into them as one wishes. Expensive or cheap, one will only safely get approximately four years out of tires as miles don’t wear them out, sunlight, heat, and setting extended periods of time without turning does. Always purchase ST tires in the proper load range for the weight of your rig, don’t speed, and always inflate to proper pressure before hitting the road. At each stop, physically touch each tire to get a feel for the heat build-up. Always do preventive maintenance and you will have few problems.

Take it for what it is worth.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

In my OPINION, that is very good advice
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #25

Thanks Shorty, appreciate the thoughts. Not sure if you changed my mind, or just opened it a bit. :-)
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #26

We have been fulltiming for 15 years- We had a great deal of tire trouble our first year on Goodyear Marathons- We installed LT235/85R16E rated Firestone Transforce and haven't had a failure since- In my opinion, ST tires are not worth installing due to their inherent deficiencies- JMHO- DD
Old 07-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Donnie View Post
We have been fulltiming for 15 years- We had a great deal of tire trouble our first year on Goodyear Marathons- We installed LT235/85R16E rated Firestone Transforce and haven't had a failure since- In my opinion, ST tires are not worth installing due to their inherent deficiencies- JMHO- DD
My trailer is not overloaded and I have several friends that use Firestone Transforce LT tires, LR=E on their trailers. One has not had a tire problem in 3 years. I just put 2 on my truck and when my Marathons are done in a few years, I may give them a shot.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #28

Just finished a 2260 mile Vacation trip to Upper Michigan and everything went extremely well until mile 2200. Looking out the side mirror, I saw it fill with shreds of rubber flying backwards. This was my first "shredding" and it took me a second to pull off the Interstate. Upon checking the 5er, I noticed that all of the tread had come off my Power King TowMax ST235/80R16. The tire was still inflated but the tread was down to the steel belts. Waiting for "Road Assistance" was another issue and for another day. Upon inspecting the tires at arrival, I did notice where 1 other tire had "bulged out" at the side. To make a long story short, replaced all 4 tires on the 5er and installed TPMS. Hope that helps the anxiety............
Rear View Safety Camera
Winegard Trav'ler DirectTV HD Model:SK-SWM3
Steadyfast Stabilizing System
Progressive Industries 50 AMP EMS
boyzx3iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #29

got 4 new 235/80/16 10 ply tires today! Not one but three of the GY marathons were toast. I was planning on giving them to the farmer down the road, but there were too gone. One that caught my eye was the one that the radial belt let go, the other two had shifted belts in the side walls. If there is such a thing as easier rolling, the trailer does just that now
SLEEKCRAFTER is offline   Reply With Quote