Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #1

Dampening Generator Noise

I'm currently running my two Honda 2000i generators while sitting in the bed of my truck with the tailgate down and the hard lid closed. This greatly reduces the noise around the front & sides of the truck while still allowing the generators to "breathe".

I'd like to build a sound-insulated box that I can place in the bed of the truck at home before I put the generators in. The box would have an intake fan on one side and an exhaust fan on the other side for proper ventilation. Both fans would be 120 VAC with a standard plug that I could plug into one of the generator outlets during operation.

Has anyone built a box like this and if so, what insulating material did you use?

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #2

Should be doable. I would recommend one more thing to consider, which is general enclosure cooling. Those engines put off some serious heat, and you will really notice it once it is in a box. I have been doing some sound reduction projects at work lately. I am no expect, but have been learning a lot. The key is to find the right materials for the frequency (not decibels but frequency). In general you need an absorber layer and a barrier lay. One of the products we used by EAR/AERO was a composite, it had about 3/8" of foam, then a 1/4" heavy vinyl layer, then a 1" layer of foam again. We ordered it with a foil face, only for cleanliness. In our research we found that the foil reduces the acoustical performance of the sound reduction material. One more thing to consider is your openings. Sound travels in a straight line (it does bounce nicely too). So any openings you have, the sound will escape. So keep the openings as small as possible and if you need large openings for ventilation create baffles so the sound has to bounce off the absorbers and barrier layers a number of times.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
Site Team

also consider that the engine has to have fresh air. Be aware that the exhaust may prevent the engine from being fully efficient.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
I'm currently running my two Honda 2000i generators while sitting in the bed of my truck with the tailgate down and the hard lid closed. This greatly reduces the noise around the front & sides of the truck while still allowing the generators to "breathe".
...snip
How is the sound to the front and sides of your truck? Is it acceptable in those directions or do they need sound reduction, too? Do you currently run those generators with any heat or other problems?

What I'm thinking... If the sound levels are OK to the front and sides, maybe you could build an open-top and front side box to assemble as needed on your tailgate and snug up to the truck body. With sound absorbing and barrier materials, that box might provide enough sound control and still have sufficient openings for air flow. It might be worth a try as a quick and dirty experiment.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #5

How loud are two of them? I am researching generators now, and am trying to figure out which way to go. I know I am going to get a Honda and considering two 2000's in paralell or one 3000I. How much louder is it when you have two running versus one? I am assuming it is a little louder but not much. Is that a good assumption?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #6

I once saw a company online, don't remember who, made a box like your describing out of aluminum. Protected the generator from theft or rain. Add some Adhesive sound deadening material and you'd be set. It had a fan pulling in Fresh air and to evacuate heat and fumes.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 PM   #7

Two Honda EU2000i's are slightly louder than just one but not by much.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone for providing suggestions. I've just started researching soundproofing and will do another post if/when I build a box.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
How is the sound to the front and sides of your truck? Is it acceptable in those directions or do they need sound reduction, too? Do you currently run those generators with any heat or other problems?
You can just barely hear the generators from the front & sides if you are standing right next to the truck. From 10 feet away you can't hear them at all.

They heated up the bed of the truck but it wasn't extremely hot. Not so hot that I was worried about damaging them.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #10

I saw a post on RV DIY about the generators on Willie Nelson's tour bus that had isolation feet looked like small suspension air bags, seemed like a good idea for noise and vibration. I have also seen where people have mounted soft foam between two boards to mount water pumps for the same reason.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
You can just barely hear the generators from the front & sides if you are standing right next to the truck. From 10 feet away you can't hear them at all.

They heated up the bed of the truck but it wasn't extremely hot. Not so hot that I was worried about damaging them.
It sounds like (sorry about that ) there is little sound tranmitted through the truck bed, the side walls, or the cover. You might be able to build several baffles to stand across the bed of the truck between the generators and the tailgate. Each of them could stand on edge from the truck bed up to the cover and extend maybe 3/4 of the way across with a foot or so between each baffle. The openings could be staggered from side to side so there would be no direct opening from the generators to the open air. A fan or two might be necessary to keep enough air flow for combustion and cooling.

It seems this would be making your truck bed into a muffler. It may seem odd (I have never heard of it being done before), but it might be easier to try than building a box.

There are sound absorbing products out there (Homasote is one brand) that aren't very expensive, easy to work with and may make excellent baffles.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:19 AM   #12

Hello,
I have been looking online last couple weeks for a good way to secure a yamaha 4500 generator that I just bought. I did find some here is a link to one here. As oldmanaz said I would be worried about heat with a box like this but I also live in the heat. May not be a problem in your area. I decided I am going to weld up my own box that will attach to my bumper hitch on my 5th wheel with openings. Problem I found with most store bought generator boxes is they are cheaply made ex wobble or cheap materials. I will post up after I complete it but should look something like this one that a guy made for a travel trailer here.
B&W Companion Hitch
catch5steve is offline   Reply With Quote