Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #21

We do a good bit of 2 night weekend camping trips. We have several nice COE campgrounds within 30 minutes from home and state parks within an hour. We try to get in a few 3 night trips too. We always go on Fathers day weekend and my in-laws come out for the day. This year we went on Mothers Day too.

Neither my wife or I work weekends but only get 5 vacation days a year. So its weekend trips or nothing. I try to keep up with work around the house so we can go play when we want to. Of course if its not done before we leave, it will still be there for another day. We don't have a lot of family members nearby so we don't have many conflicts with get together's.

I agree with others about scheduling trips ahead of time. If something comes up later, "Sorry we have camping reservations then".
sccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #22
Site Team

I never heard of any one on their death bed saying,

"I sure wish I had not camped so much!"

We like to hike, kayak and ride bicycles. We travel almost always with bikes and kayaks and hiking shoes. Try to incorporate things you like to do into your camping trips.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I never heard of any one on their death bed saying,

"I sure wish I had not camped so much!"

We like to hike, kayak and ride bicycles. We travel almost always with bikes and kayaks and hiking shoes. Try to incorporate things you like to do into your camping trips.
Great quote! . One of the things we like to do on our camping trips is every new town we go near, we like to go find some local watering hole and have a beer. If we can find some unique place with a fish fry...we are all over it.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #24

We do local State Parks. Trying to do some weekdays where I can still go to work (3-4) hours per day (lucky me). Weekends are every other, even if there is somewhere we must go. I have a 93 year old mother-in-law with dementia, so we can't go far anyways. Getting away is super important when you are the POA/caregiver.
Running the sweeper, dishwasher, washing machine, lawn mower,(you get the drift) just isn't as important as it used to be. There will be time to get it all done.
If I cut back to 1x per month, my husband and 11 grandchildren would undoubtedly go without me.
grandmawoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #25
Site Team

My MIL is in bad health at 85. We have to limit our trips away to no more than a 8 hour drive home in case of emergency. We still manage 110+ days a year camping.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #26

For us we have to book well in advance if we are to get a spot at an Ontario Provincial Park (5 months) or you will be SOL. That's Canada eh! or at least my part of the country. The private ones also book up quickly and if you don't get in early you will have a tough time finding something. My wife and daughter have the "summers" off and my hours are flexible I can work from anywhere including the RV, so I feel very fortunate to do this at atime when you can still enjoy. I didn't want to wait until retirement, so we do our best to get out and relax and have fun even if it is only a few days a year.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:48 AM   #27

Just booked my campsite for Memorial Day weekend 2015 last night.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #28

I work 6 days a week (not really by choice but that's a whole different rant) so we just go to a close by campground. Lucky to have 2 that are 30 minutes or less drive to work so we go there for the weekend. Unfortunately this does mean I have to get up and go to work on Saturday for 7AM start but at least the wife and kid get to relax.

You gotta do what you gotta do to make it work. For now that's what I have to do while I continue to browse the want ads...
Old 07-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #29

We are under 40, with 4 kids, homeowners, both work day jobs (DW is a teacher, so she gets summers off). Been camping for the past 12 years. We try to get 5-6 trips in a year; kinda limited by the seasons here in the Midwest. We make camping reservations to "force" ourselves to go. The only time we didn't get 5-6 trips in were when DW was pregnant with the kids and it was physically challenging for her to go. I work in I.T. and and am blessed to do what I do for a living, but at the end of the day, it's just a job and pays for my ability to go out and play.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #30

We have just made ourselves go when our kids were at home we went for them places that liked to go to, when they were older it was harder to get time that they were free to go and that worked for us and didnt get out as much as we would have liked. Now its just DW and me and she has her summers off so we plan a couple weeks that work and try to get as many weekends that we can and if kids and grandkids can come well thats even better
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #31

We are in are mid 30s with 6 and 3year old. Just got into camping last year as a family went twice with the new to me x23b. I had made all my camping reservation in the winter for the months of june July and August figured I would wing may and September. I should have made all the trips 3 nights instead of 2. After going in june we liked it so much that we added on another night to our other weekends. However had to move campsites for one of them and the other one I tired to do a first come one which they were full so we stayed 3 miles away at a state forest. Which meet moving campgrounds but well worth it. Here is my thoughts father's day weekend is my choice being I am a father. So last year started the annual father's day weekend camping trip tradition hopefully having it last for generations to come. it seems to me the only real family time I get is one we are camping because iam not able to work on the construction project at home, yard work, or whatever else that districts me from being 100% involved with the family. I think for next year I will have to plan more trips in advance because all my other weekends have filled up.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #32

I couldn't agree more Plowtoy. We are in the same rat race too. We have recently made some big decisions for us . Putting the house up for sale and going fulltime in the Jayco early. Still have a couple years before retirement but no more big house to clean and maintain sounds pretty good today. Northwest winters are going to suck but somthings gotta give. Can't wait to downsize our life!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #33

After just returning from hauling my new trailer back from Indiana, I ran up nearly $800 in gas expense. I enjoyed the trip, traveled through four states, spent 4 nights in the new camper and had so much fun. I even got to spill my wife out of canoe on a river float trip in Missouri. Now Im wondering where I can afford to go next. Unfortunately, the traveling is too expensive for a full time worker, and I lack 6 to 10 years to even consider retirement. I suppose I will be limited to weekend trips nearby parks, but I am curious how many Rv'ers travel more than 500 miles with their trailers, especially those who are not yet retired.